Thread: Mudski GU Build Thread

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So. After a long chat with RM Turbo's, he doesn't think there's anything wrong with the turbo. With the play in the shaft, he said thats normal, its supposed to, he called the bearing a name to which it draws oil through it for lubrication, which in lamens terms, takes up the bearing free play. Hence why the I can hear the turbo spin down for 30 seconds after I turn the motor off.
    Also mentioned, the amount of oil I used, the turbo wouldn't go through that much, He said I would really know if it was, there be oil everywhere.

So. Not sure what to do here. Leave it and just drive it or look into it further.

Atleast I don't need to remove the turbo now. Which is one good thing. Good time to fix the little exhaust leak coming from the dump pipe now its off...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (14th September 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah not too surprised really I wouldn't worry about a little bit of play. My motor is similar uses a little bit of oil, remember the engine builder asking if I was too worried about blow by as is better to have ring gap on the larger end of the scale as opposeded to tighter as this can result in fubar engine so this may be the case with either either or both? I know it's not ideal but as long as it's not using crazy amount, blowing smoke or leaking just drive it I reckon. Could ask JPC, is funny that it hasn't done it from new but . .?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

mudski (14th September 2020), Winnie (14th September 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah not too surprised really I wouldn't worry about a little bit of play. My motor is similar uses a little bit of oil, remember the engine builder asking if I was too worried about blow by as is better to have ring gap on the larger end of the scale as opposeded to tighter as this can result in fubar engine so this may be the case with either either or both? I know it's not ideal but as long as it's not using crazy amount, blowing smoke or leaking just drive it I reckon. Could ask JPC, is funny that it hasn't done it from new but . .?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yeah doesn't blow any smoke apart from the black stuff. I could have done it from new Rossco, but I've only noticed it in the last three or so years. My old place, from about three years ago, there was no where level to check the oil, even the garage floor was on a slope. So fluid measuring was pretty much a guesstimate.
    I'll speak with JPC when they re open and get him to go over the engine again. Thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (14th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mark maybe of interest (worn or crack valve seals):

Oil Consumption
    Bad valve seals will cause excessive oil consumption. In an otherwise normal engine with good compression, rings and valve guides, bad seals will cause a loss of oil that can be detected on the oil dipstick. By keeping an accurate record of oil level on the dipstick, a noticeable oil reduction due to the oil being burned along with the fuel will be discovered. Bad seals will be confirmed if no oil leaks can be found on the engine to account for the loss.

Excessive Smoke
    If the valve seals have deteriorated enough, the blue-white exhaust smoke will last longer after start-up and acceleration. Yet the smoke will eventually disappear after long engine operation or during periods of hot weather. Bad valve seals nearly always show an intermittent problem of oil burning, whereas worn piston rings and valve guides will smoke during all times of engine operation and never disappear.
    Yes turbo shaft can have a lot of sideway play and does centralise when she spins up.
    Last edited by Bidja; 15th September 2020 at 08:08 AM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

10G (15th September 2020), mudski (15th September 2020)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mark.
    From distant memory , your rear windows are shaded up. You can't see smoke behind you!
    Problem solved.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Mark maybe of interest (worn or crack valve seals):

Yes turbo shaft can have a lot of sideway play and does centralise when she spins up.
    From my limited knowledge, if it were valve stem seals, there would be white smoke on startup due to oil leaking down into the cylinders when the engine is not running. I get nothing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bidja (15th September 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Mark.
    From distant memory , your rear windows are shaded up. You can't see smoke behind you!
    Problem solved.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Haha! Correct.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    So. It of a setback. Not what I really wanted or need to be doing right now.
    The Patrol for some time has alway used a bit of oil when on long trips and especially when towing. Tried to ignore it and was telling myself it’s me just not checking the levels properly. But the last oil change I dumped a mere 8litres of oil.
    The inter cooler always has a fairly consistent oily film in it. But the intake side of the turbo is bone dry.
    My original thoughts was the motor, but after seeing the intake dry the turbo must be shot in some way.
    So I removed the intake pipe and had a feel of the impeller.
    Assuming there is supposed to be no play in it. Mine has. Feck!

So.
    Any tips on removing a Garret low mount Turbo? Never done this before. Just start pulling bits off I suppose....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mate that is a REALLY nice patrol .You dumped 8 litres, whats the capacity? Somewhere around 9 to 10? How many ks since you last changed it?
    If I had no nasty shyt coming out of the exhaust and was losing a litre or 2 between oil changes at 7 to 10 ks i would not stress too much?
    Last edited by Mickhead; 15th September 2020 at 04:53 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

mudski (16th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What grade and type of oil do you run? Did JPC add extra clearence?

My TD used to use 2-3L per 5000km when it had penrite oil.
    It used 0L per 5000km for the next 6 years using anything but penrite oil.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    What grade and type of oil do you run? Did JPC add extra clearence?

My TD used to use 2-3L per 5000km when it had penrite oil.
    It used 0L per 5000km for the next 6 years using anything but penrite oil.
    Hi Ben, I was hoping you’d pop your head in. I trust things are well up your way in the land of freedom?
    As for the oil. I’ve run various brands, valvoline mainly. Have switched to Castrol Rx Super as of late . All oils were CI-4 or better and 15w40.
    I’m not sure on the clearance side of things though mate. As Rossco mentioned it could be the ring clearance set when the engine was built??? That stuff is beyond me sorry. I will have a chat with JPC when he reopens about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 49 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast