OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To rust proof or not to rust proof...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to use spray on fish oil, do it well in advance as it takes a long time to dry. 2 years ago I did a spray underneath and went over to the Island about a month later and I still have some sand stuck to fish oil and it won't come off with normal high hose pressure. Most of it has gone now but I think it is now to late to do it for this Xmas.
    Lots and lots of low pressure water when you get home over several days is the best way to clean sand and salt. Even CT18 sprayed on and left over night helps as well.
    My ute is now 9yrs old and goes to Fraser regularly and it has virtually no rust after initial spray rust proofing and a CAT electronic unit. Jury is out on which type is most effective.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was thinking I'll go with getting the troll rust proofed as well before I go over.
    My previous Patrols were rust proofed but didn't bother with this one, just the ERP.
    Anything to look out for regarding spray on, I'll prolly take it to someone to do.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    If you are going to use spray on fish oil, do it well in advance as it takes a long time to dry. 2 years ago I did a spray underneath and went over to the Island about a month later and I still have some sand stuck to fish oil and it won't come off with normal high hose pressure. Most of it has gone now but I think it is now to late to do it for this Xmas.
    Lots and lots of low pressure water when you get home over several days is the best way to clean sand and salt. Even CT18 sprayed on and left over night helps as well.
    My ute is now 9yrs old and goes to Fraser regularly and it has virtually no rust after initial spray rust proofing and a CAT electronic unit. Jury is out on which type is most effective.
    True this. Never gone beach that soon after. But good to know. Was about to do it this weekend for new years dBm island trip. But I'll hold off now cheers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolften View Post
    Was thinking I'll go with getting the troll rust proofed as well before I go over.
    My previous Patrols were rust proofed but didn't bother with this one, just the ERP.
    Anything to look out for regarding spray on, I'll prolly take it to someone to do.
    Probably best to get it done properly by someone who really knows what they are doing. Then just keep religiously cleaning as discussed and spray any areas that wear or get scratched.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of electric rust prevention are you guys using?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashhunter View Post
    What brand of electric rust prevention are you guys using?
    CAT from some bloke in WA but I doubt if it really matters which brand. As I mentioned above, jury is still out which type of rust proofing is best--spray or electronic.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    CAT from some bloke in WA but I doubt if it really matters which brand. As I mentioned above, jury is still out which type of rust proofing is best--spray or electronic.
    wa consumer affairs has said that they dont work and customers should get a refund.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have no idea if Thelma was ever rust proofed, original owner was a coal mine, then a supervisor bought her... I bought her off him.

Because she was FULL of coal dust I hosed and hosed every accessible cavity and then after each outing, while she was still hot, I spreayed a can of Lanox on her underside. The build up of Lanox has worked well and she has very little visible rust. And yes we still enjoy a drive on the beach. 560,000ks and just starting to show her age.
    Are you ready for Christmas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12