Thread: Noise during turning. Sshhhhuh sshhhuh sshhuh

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noise during turning. Sshhhhuh sshhhuh sshhuh

Hey troll nerds. Got a brain bender for yaa.

There's this bloody noise when I turn. Like a loose brake pad or something. Looked at the brake pads. Everything looks fine.

Question.
    Are the calipers supposed to be a bit loose?

I know they need to move on the slides for wear and operation etc. But should there be a slight preload on the pads?. Because there isn't. Only by 0.5 mm but it's there. I'm thinking this is cause of the sound as I turn. Just like sliding sound.

99 GU . Logbooked. Never been off-road. ( before now heh heh)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that noise change when going in other direction e.g. turning left the noise is there but turning right is not? If the noise is emanating from the side which when turning is under larger load then it could be a wheel bearing.

The brake calipers are not preloaded, otherwise the brakes would be hanging on and you'd be cooking your brakes.

Regards

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

dom14 (19th November 2015), pedals (16th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check that the inside of the tyre is not rubbing on anything that's what was causing mine to make noise on lock.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

pedals (16th November 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's a tire rub problem, thanks all the same. Wheel bearing? could be. that could be an expensive exercise i fit's not though.

I though wheel bearing sounds where more of a roaring sound.

I'll keep investigating.

cheers.

Pedals.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an issue in my old lux when the bearings went. Started out a lot like u are describing. Then got worse.

Wheel bearing kits are usually about $100-$150. Not an ideal trouble shoot. But still, when we're they last done?? Now u would know and if that's all it is than its probably cheaper than breaks.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True king_ady1. I'm planning on some touring from Queensland to Victoria and back over the Christmas holiday. I'd hate to get stuck with a blown wheel bearing, loaded up with wife kids dog etc.
    lets say I want to change them myself.
    So I take it the go is to drain the diff oil ( changing that anyway ) undo the bolts holding the housing in pull the shaft out ( by hand ? soft hammer ?) and get the bearings pressed off by a workshop with a press?

what about getting the new ones on ?

Does Anyone have a link to a walk through for this operation? I'm no stranger to working on my own vehicles but there's a limit to what can be done at a my home workshop. ( traded the spanner in for a mouse years ago )
    Plus i've only had the GU for a few months and I'm very keen to learn more about this machine. It's made like no other.
    Any advice here would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedals View Post
    True king_ady1. I'm planning on some touring from Queensland to Victoria and back over the Christmas holiday. I'd hate to get stuck with a blown wheel bearing, loaded up with wife kids dog etc.
    lets say I want to change them myself.
    So I take it the go is to drain the diff oil ( changing that anyway ) undo the bolts holding the housing in pull the shaft out ( by hand ? soft hammer ?) and get the bearings pressed off by a workshop with a press?

what about getting the new ones on ?

Does Anyone have a link to a walk through for this operation? I'm no stranger to working on my own vehicles but there's a limit to what can be done at a my home workshop. ( traded the spanner in for a mouse years ago )
    Plus i've only had the GU for a few months and I'm very keen to learn more about this machine. It's made like no other.
    Any advice here would be really appreciated.

Cheers
    If I understood correctly, we are talking about front wheel bearings. There's is no press involved. Front bearings are not hard to do. You just need to carefully hit the bearing races out. Then install the new bearing races using the old one, by hitting with it. I think in GU(unlike GQ)
    rear bearing are not hard to do either, 'cos they are full floating bearings like front ones(if I'm correct).
    You need a 54mm bearing socket to undo the bearing nut. You need HTB grease. And you need a good pair of hands, 'cos you're looking at a greasy job.
    While you're going in there, you might wanna grease the front hub locking mechanism as well.(general purpose grease, not HTB, and make sure not to over grease the hubs).
    Use the search tool, there're plenty of thread on this topic. Also download the Haynes & factory manuals. They also have all the step by step guide you're after.
    Few sockets, ratchet, spanners, a shifter etc. Bearing socket is available on fleabay if you wanna buy it that way. It's fairly cheap on ebay.
    Last edited by dom14; 19th November 2015 at 11:37 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dom hit the nail on the head. Fronts are nice and easy. I usually 're grease the whole cc joint while I'm there. (May as well while it's apart). Not really any specialty tools needed. Look at some threads or on YouTube in advance and u should work it out nice and easy. I would do both sides at once if u can. Saves the hassle again in a couple months when the other goes.

I think my most annoying thing was circlip pliers. Can't remember if that was hilux or troll though...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to King_ady1 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (19th November 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat blade circlip expanding pliers and a fine blade screwdriver to pull the axle out to expose the clip groove on reassembly .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dads tractor For This Useful Post:

dom14 (19th November 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's rings a bell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast