OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU windscreen replacment. Do I need to remove the snorkel?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GU windscreen replacment. Do I need to remove the snorkel?

So my windscreen needs replacing. So I have to do the hunt around for the best price, but first, the Safari snorkel sits right over the rubber. Not touching it but the contours of the snorkel pretty much cover the left side. So do I need to remove the snorkel you think? I'm thinking yes, err, maybe. The bolts that hold the bracket to the pillar are rusted in good, no chance of them coming out in one piece, and hte bracket is riveted to the pillar...If so, and might hang out a bit and save a few $$$ and get a 4inch snorkel for the shitter. Then what 4inch snorkel do I go for? Ugh!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just had O'Briens put a new screen in mine last week
    My Safari Snork stayed in place... old mate said Patrols are usually OK but sometimes they have to get them off so the "robot arm" they stick to the Pax window can clear the Snork

Take it to a Windsceen joint and ask them to have a look and advise you (thats what I did then made an appointment and they did it at my house)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (12th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was quoted $130 then they failed to show up, "discount" then they sent another guy out he was late and had the wrong windscreen, "discount"
    Then the boss said bring it in Ill do it, didnt seat the seal on the bottom corners and moulding end caps were missing and chipped paint on my bonnet, "discount",
    Rebooked it for the windscreen to be removed and not just cut the seal to fix it, "discount". New winscreen $50 bargain if not jerked around a bit
    Now I cut and polish my windscreen
    treat any rust you find
    Last edited by threedogs; 12th November 2015 at 05:41 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did mine with the Safari Snorkel still attached, and it only took them a few minutes.

Don't let them use the original rubbers though, as when they cut out the old windscreen, the rubbers get sliced internally, and then they shrink in the sun.

Mine was done by a supposed reputable installer, by my insurance company, and they used the original rubber ( I could tell by the mud stains and dirt ) - even when they told me they wouldn't and it has shrunk...
    Last edited by happygu; 12th November 2015 at 10:16 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windscreen bit I have no idea, but interested to see as mine is a bit crappy.

But the snorkel I can offer 2 cents, I recently saw a Radius Fab 4" snorkel on a patrol, and to be honest, I was disappointed. For something that they have a jig for, the fit up of the individual pieces of tube was crap, like the angle piece that goes from the guard to the upright was out by the entire thickness of the tube. I get that for some people that's not a big deal, but for me it was, spend 2 seconds getting it right ffs. Didn't follow the lines of the car very well either. The welds looked alight, it was dark and powder coated so hard to see. For the $700 odd they are worth I wouldn't. But I'm fussy haha
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you have full comp insurance with Glass cover you can get a new windscreen for free without any excess payable or premium increase. 1 per year. It must be smashed or cracked and not just hand blown.

I had a new screen fitted after the Meetup in the Middle after copping a big Rock. Easy claim to make, they fitted it in my driveway. Sign the form and done and dusted.

Note this same cover will cover ANY Glass in your car! if your touring and smash your rear window glass from a rock off your camper then same rule applies. Free.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    if you have full comp insurance with Glass cover you can get a new windscreen for free without any excess payable or premium increase. 1 per year. It must be smashed or cracked and not just hand blown.

I had a new screen fitted after the Meetup in the Middle after copping a big Rock. Easy claim to make, they fitted it in my driveway. Sign the form and done and dusted.

Note this same cover will cover ANY Glass in your car! if your touring and smash your rear window glass from a rock off your camper then same rule applies. Free.
    Yep I pay extra $50 a year for glass cover and somehow I manage to cop a rock every year without fail

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok so, it looks like the snorkel wontbe much of an issue. Now to find an installer at the right price.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder how hard it is to remove the windscreen myself. As I think it has moisture under the lower right corner and are worries there might be some rust. So I'll need to treat that first before the new screen goes in.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's pretty easy. YouTube is your friend
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast