Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GUIV Fuel gauge has false reading

Hey guys,

so the mighty GUIV is now relegated to being driven by the wife as a daily which is Ace cause it will keep the Kms down on it. Freeway commuting kms SUCK.

I drove it on the weekend and noted that it needed a fuel up but didn't get around to it. the full light was on when i pulled in the drive (I know I know, i should have sorted it... but i didn't).

Today Naomi was driving the daughter to daycare around the corner and it cut out. She had trouble starting it and ca led me, it turned over a heap then fired so she got in and drove while i was on the phone. It was sluggish then stopped and she parked it and walked.

Sat there all day as i was in Melbourne. Got home tonight and tried it, primed it and after a bit got it going for 10m then done. Ended up on a tilt tray back home.

So talking to Naomi trying to figure if she had got some bad fuel somewhere?? the gauge was showing 1/4 of a tank......

NO WAY!! when i got it home i started at the fuel filter and checked for prime then supply and clearly it was empty. 20t jerry later and its good to go.

SO! Bloody thing! i have filled it up and filled the Sub, i have always filled both and Always wait for the light to come on the pump the sub and empty both tanks every cycle pretty well.

What can i check guys?
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 11th November 2015 at 09:56 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,440 Times in 6,264 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umm, I don't read a problem there? Did you miss something out or am I misreading it?
    The car was low on fuel, not filled up, then it ran out?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th November 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah sorry i Rambled.

Car stopped on the side of the road. Fuel gauge read 1/4 of a tank. Naomi thought i put fuel in it, i thought she did. neither of us did! the fuel gauge got excited all by itself!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats what I read as well Winnie...

Dunno if it means anything but i had a GQ petty that had a dodgy main tank wiper and at about 1/8th would go back to 1/4 ish for a while then drop to 1/16th ish... the fuel light always worked as advertised tho
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old husband and wife blame game ....mate you cant win , you know its your fault .haha .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (12th November 2015), MudRunnerTD (11th November 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah its Odd, as i said i have always run from full to fuel light and always use both tanks. the rear tank is an LRA 147lt. Never had a problem before? I use the Odometer to measure fuel usage too and it was where id expect it to run out but the gauge told me that the missus had fuelled it for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a GU, bet the earth for the fuel gauge is high resistance somewhere. Trace track and clean wire connectors. Just GUessing.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When the light comes on to show you are on reserve ,,how many K's can you do.
    Having a LRA tank the sender may not be as accurate as you think.
    My 75ltr AUX is the same when talking to Kevin at Brown Davis he said
    the sender is adjusted to neg off when empty.

I think the reserve light may have been on longer than what you think
    and no one noticed.
    Last edited by threedogs; 12th November 2015 at 07:45 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's the thing, the light came on on the weekend for me. When it stopped the light was off and the gauge showed a 1/4 tank so we pty thought the other had put some fuel in it.

4 days from monthly payday and I ain't putting $200 or diesel in it normally.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    hopefully the tank is clean and you havent sucked up any gunk,
    I transfer fuel well before the light comes on.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast