Thread: Get ready for the rain

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get ready for the rain

It's bucketing here in WA. Get ready for it.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR311.loop.shtml#skip

Take care out there.

Ross
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am so over this rain Ross, bring on Summer, the dogs are waiting for me.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    I am so over this rain Ross, bring on Summer, the dogs are waiting for me.
    Got a bit out here. Not sure how much though.

Saw lotsa damaged roofs on the news. This problem could have been sorted out years and years ago by the govt. All they had to do was make it law that housing within 20km of the coast had to be cyclone rated. All the houses up north have to be cyclone rated, I understand. Down your way, it cops it at least once or twice a year.

Think of the money they would save, and think of the callouts SES wouldn't get. Easy solution, not a good comercial decision on the govt's part though.
    Last edited by DX grunt; 9th July 2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the wettest it been in my neck of the woods for a loooooong time but we have been in drought for 15 years so where all but dancing in it here.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have had 39mm in the last 2 days, I know that we need it but it does not pay the bills.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    We have had 39mm in the last 2 days, I know that we need it but it does not pay the bills.
    I sorry to here that Doggie that truly is the down side to mother nature. We haven't copped anything like that here. By the time your weather gets to us its weakened considerably & thats if it gets to us at all. Most of it stays along the coast.

Cheers
    Paul

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    The Building Code of Australia requires house framing to comply with cyclonic design standards within 50km of the coast from Bundaberg QLD running anti-clockwise around to Carnarvon WA.

Areas south of these localities are not required to comply with cyclonic framing requirements.

If roofs fail in areas below this zone then it's most likely due to the age and deteoriation of the structure or non-compliance with applicable design codes. Wind over roofs creates lift, which is why framing tie downs are an integral aspect of frame construction. Tie downs are required to be provided between foundation and floor, floor and wall, wall and roof framing. The flatter the roof the greater the lift imposed on the building.
    Thats interesting info, Thanks for posting it. So hows the weather been down your way Rohan? your closer to the coast than I am.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Building Code of Australia requires house framing to comply with cyclonic design standards within 50km of the coast from Bundaberg QLD running anti-clockwise around to Carnarvon WA.

Areas south of these localities are not required to comply with cyclonic framing requirements.

If roofs fail in areas below this zone then it's most likely due to the age and deteoriation of the structure or non-compliance with applicable design codes. Wind over roofs creates lift, which is why framing tie downs are an integral aspect of frame construction. Tie downs are required to be provided between foundation and floor, floor and wall, wall and roof framing. The flatter the roof the greater the lift imposed on the building.
    Thanks for the info Plasnart. Pitty the clock didn't go a bit further anti-clockwise and end up where it started. LOL - not.

I'm an ex-Vic too. Born near Lake Eildon, had rellies living in Geelong too. Don't know where they are now though. Saw the light in 1980 when I came over from NSW in the navy and have only been back 3 times. Seen enough snow to last me a life time.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clear, still, cold and dark Paul. No sign of inclement weather but looking at the radar there's plenty coming across from SA. We should get it by morning by the looks of it.
    Yeah it must be big mate cos where gonna cop it here as well.

Not good weather for doing headlights mate?

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by DX grunt; 10th July 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast