Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    snip...
    It started out as a light growl (about the best way I can think to describe it), didn't make the noise when accelerating, only when coasting.

Once we hit the blacktop and back in two wheel drive, the noise went away. I then tried driving with the lever in 4 high, but not locking in the hubs, and there was the noise, I also tried driving in 2wd with the hubs locked, and there was the noise again....
    Well, there's growls and there's growls so without much else to go on...
    I would hesitantly suggest it is possibly an outside chance of maybe being a universal joint or a CV.
    When they first start to crap 'emselves they can go quiet under load and only get noisy when coasting.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (4th November 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I would hesitantly suggest it is possibly an outside chance of maybe being a universal joint or a CV.
    When they first start to crap 'emselves they can go quiet under load and only get noisy when coasting.
    Yep sorry about the fairly vague description, a growling, knocking, rattle (ish) of sorts is the only way I can think to describe it.

Just tried driving in 4 high again this arvo without locking the hubs, and I can hear the noise at lower speed though not as bad as at higher speed. Since it's not something I've ever experienced before, I'm kinda struggling to figure out what it is.

My experience with CV joints has previously been limited to front wheel drive road vehicles and when the CV joints go in those they make a very distinctive noise particularly when turning, this doesn't remind me of that, but I guess it could be very different in a live axle 4wd?
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    That's what I thought as well. Since the growling only happens when coasting, it points at the diff centre or the uni failure at early stages.
    See if there's any play in the front uni joints. Not sure how to externally diagnose shot CVs. I've never done it or had any problems so far. I'm sure the forum search engine might produce some good links onto that. Search for the symptoms of the failing CVs. It's a greasy job to replace them. So, it's a good idea to know beforehand for sure, if you are planning to DIY replace the CVs.
    If I recall correctly, go through MudRunnerTD's threads. He's done a detailed documentation on CVs.
    Last edited by dom14; 4th November 2015 at 02:34 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (4th November 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    That's what I thought as well. Since the growling only happens when coasting, it points at the diff centre or the uni failure at early stages.
    See if there's any play in the front uni joints. Not sure how to externally diagnose shot CVs. I've never done it or had any problems so far. I'm sure the forum search engine might produce some good links onto that. Search for the symptoms of the failing CVs. It's a greasy job to replace them. So, it's a good idea to know beforehand for sure, if you are planning to DIY replace the CVs.
    If I recall correctly, go through MudRunnerTD's threads. He's done a detailed documentation on CVs.
    Thanks mate I'll take a look and I'll have a look for Mudrunners thread too
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so an update on my noise, took it past a mechanic friend of the family, he had a look and found one wheel bearing needed adjusting and regreased my uni joints while he was there.

No noise evident now when locking in the hubs in 2wd, however the noise is still definitely there in 4wd high even if the hubs are not locked. More noticeable as the speed increases, I can hear it from about 40ks an hour faintly, and louder as I go quicker.

This might seem like a stupid question, but what the hell, I'll ask it anyway. Can I drive it on a bitumen road briefly in 4wd high without locking in the hubs, so long as I stay on a straight piece of road?

Only reason for this is his workshop is nowhere near any dirt or gravel roads, and I want to be able to get him to hear the noise while driving to help me figure it out, I don't want to have something let go when I'm in the bush or on a beach somewhere...

Thanks for any info.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

dom14 (6th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can drive for ever in h4 with hubs unlocked.
    Same with locked hubs in 2wd..
    You'll have no issues
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

dom14 (6th November 2015), Patrol'n (6th November 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    You'll have no issues
    That's what I thought, but before I went doing it I wanted to double check, thanks Kallen

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    You'll have no issues
    It won't affect the lifespan of the CVs or the transfer case((If we mistakenly leave it on that way)?
    I'm referring to the old school GQ and GUs. I'm not sure how the latest model Patrols are like.
    I occasionally drive H4 & hubs locked on it's own to get them "oiled".
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (6th November 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    Ok so an update on my noise, took it past a mechanic friend of the family, he had a look and found one wheel bearing needed adjusting and regreased my uni joints while he was there.

No noise evident now when locking in the hubs in 2wd, however the noise is still definitely there in 4wd high even if the hubs are not locked. More noticeable as the speed increases, I can hear it from about 40ks an hour faintly, and louder as I go quicker.

This might seem like a stupid question, but what the hell, I'll ask it anyway. Can I drive it on a bitumen road briefly in 4wd high without locking in the hubs, so long as I stay on a straight piece of road?

Only reason for this is his workshop is nowhere near any dirt or gravel roads, and I want to be able to get him to hear the noise while driving to help me figure it out, I don't want to have something let go when I'm in the bush or on a beach somewhere...

Thanks for any info.
    Yeah, it indicates the noise can't be the bearings. But, also indicates two separate noise issues(often they are).
    BTW, get hold of a grease gun and clean and grease the uni joints via the nipples, if you go offroading regularly.
    Once every few months is a good idea depending on your offroad frequency.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (6th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep not an issue.
    My gq did the first 250###k with hubs engaged full time..
    During winter it was just easier on the farm to leave em in..
    Then when I pulled em out at 500###k they were still like new..

I think it's good to do it every now and then if your not off roading as it gets the oil moving around and into the gears and gets the grease moving threw the cv's etc
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

dom14 (11th November 2015), Patrol'n (6th November 2015)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast