Thread: New winch.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New winch.

I bought a Ridge Ryder 12000lb winch for just under $500 new.
    Since I have a bit of spare time I decided to drop the 9500lb winch off and replace it with the new one.

The old winch had/has a wire rope. The wire rope is finally stuffed, few little ripples and at least one broken wire that is visible.

Since lack of grease in new winches tends to a common comment I decided to check it out.

Seems to have more than I expected.
    LtoR: Gearbox end of winch body, gearbox, inside gear box
    gearbox end of drum.jpggearbox.jpginside gearbox.jpg

As far as grease goes the only one I can easily get locally is some LubriMatic Marine Grease. They say it's suitable for winches.
    Any comments on this product?

The new winch install is straight forward as it can use the same controller and cabling. Just have to turn the gearbox through about 90 degs and flip it so the motor is on the passenger side.

Next GVM upgrade..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

Clunk (30th October 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit more as the fun progresses.

The 9500 lb winch was a Ridge Ryder one. I have had it for about 4+ years.
    I had over time been considering replacing it with a 12000 lb winch but the prices were a bit high for the wallet.

About 6 month back the Ridge Ryder 12000 lb winch came out on a special, just under $500. The existing winch seems to work well so for that price it was not going to be a huge loss if something went wrong.

S it is a couple of weekends back playing with some ground anchors at Peake I managed to drop the hand controller and severed the lead, and got a short circuit with the winch going into wind in mode. Stopped it quickly but that stuffed the wire rope on the 9500 winch. It has a few ripples and no doubt over strained so it is throwaway time for that steel cable.

Went to put a Supercheap Dyneema 12000 lb rope on the winch but it a bit big for the drum, rope diameter 10mm.

Anyway considering the 9500lb winch has not been off the vehicle since it was put on I thought it was time for a complete overhaul and just replace it with the new 12000lb one.

The 12000lb winch just connects up to the existing electrics so no big change here yet.

Ok new winch.
    Pulled off the gearbox and stripped it out. Cleaned out old grease. At first I did not think there was much grease in there. Very wrong!
    They had packed the gears and inside quite well. Not that visible till the thing is pulled down.

Repacked it with LubriMatic Marine Grease. According to website:
    "It offers superior corrosion protection in severe operating conditions and is ideal for use with winches, hinges, wheel bearings, and in many other uses"

Now to get the rope to spool correctly the winch has to be flipped, ie motor on passenger side and the gearbox rotated.
    Just rotated the gearbox and ready to install it next week.

In the mean time the old 9500 winch is getting a new steel rope.
    Steel rope with fittings is about $3 - $4 per meter vs 8mm synthetic $14 per meter.
    Getting the steel rope from the local Nobles shop in town.

After new cable the winch comes off the vehicle and will be stripped to service.

Sorry not lots of pics as that lubrimatic stuff does not clean off easily and I am not getting it on the camera.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    8mm Synthetic rope is way to small. I would buy 10mm synthetic rope off eBay for you 9.5 every day. 30m is plenty! Too much even. For safety's sake every day a synthetic rope is easier to use.

You might consider a synthetic rope and a hitch receiver mount and you could use the 9.5 as a rear re moveable winch for the win. The synthetic rope will keep the weight down allot so easier to carry around.

My 2c
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth I have broken 10mm synthetic rope heaps of times. 10 times at least, I have now gone to 12mm rope on my himount. Can't imagine swinging off 8mm rope!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    For what it's worth I have broken 10mm synthetic rope heaps of times. 10 times at least, I have now gone to 12mm rope on my himount. Can't imagine swinging off 8mm rope!
    Jeezus... 10mm Dyneema is, like, over 8 ton B.S.

Not that I necessarily advocate 8mm but I've not seen 10mm let go
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Winnie (1st November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Jeezus... 10mm Dyneema is, like, over 8 ton B.S.

Not that I necessarily advocate 8mm but I've not seen 10mm let go
    Do you need Darren to post the "bogged to the door handles, quad line pull" photo? Lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With your old cable if there are any bits not crimped take the best
    part however long it is and get two eyelets swauged on each end.
    Save throwing it away even if just for dragging logs around camp

30mtrs of dyneema wont break the bank imo

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dyneema-S...YAAOSwEppUO5pG
    Last edited by threedogs; 1st November 2015 at 06:18 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Do you need Darren to post the "bogged to the door handles, quad line pull" photo? Lol
    ROFLMAO... that is why God invented shovels before he invented Dyneema
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Winnie (1st November 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...

Since to only rope here at home is Nobles I went there for the ropes.

The 8mm synthetic that I looked at is called Supermax. The 8mm had a breaking load of 6.7 t and breaking force of 65.7 KN.
    The big issue with this type of rope being no sock for the rope that was on the drum so it will cop heat and abrasion.

They had a better product called Sipermax Plus. This has a a Supermax core with a polyester outer layer. Only problem was I would have to go to a 12 mm rope to get the same effect as the 8mm plain Supermax.

Either way it was getting well out of wallet range at present.

Putting wire back on was at present the most cost effective outcome.
    That does not imply it will stay wire.

The 10mm synthetic rope I have should fit the 9500 winch provided it is spooled on under load. Doing it by hand left the last layer occasionally lightly touching the 2 tie bars at the back of the winch.

After getting the wire rope fitted etc., I may take that off and re spool on the 10mm synthetic and do that under load. Should fit properly.

I will then just pack the wire up with anti rust, etc. and store it for the day I need it, sort of, "just in case".

One thing I had considered with the smaller winch was to mount it on a cradle and have it as a rear mounted winch. Just have to work out cabling and how the controller will connect to the battery easily with out lots of bolt on connections when the winch is needed.

At present the next serious thing to deal with is be able to use both batteries when winching and also change the way the aux battery is charged.

I need to have both batteries charged together and when winching an auto connect so the winch uses both batteries.
    I think Redarc has something on this but their wire diagrams leave a lot to be desired. Detail would help there.

Nothing simple.

Somewhere I read that both tigerz and Ridge Ryder winches were similar and came from here. Still to be proved as areal fact.

Ningbo LIFT Winch Manufacture Co., Ltd
    http://www.china-winch.com/sdp/23163...83/0/Home.html
    http://www.cnwinch.com/index.htm

Next OS trip might just pay them a visit. I am sure buying a winch plus extras there is cheaper than getting it here that includes shipping it back and GST, etc. Anyway Ningbo and surrounds looks like an interesting place to visit, still a bit rusty with the Mandarin though, not much better with Cantonese either.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    With your old cable if there are any bits not crimped take the best
    part however long it is and get two eyelets swauged on each end.
    Save throwing it away even if just for dragging logs around camp

30mtrs of dyneema wont break the bank imo

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dyneema-S...YAAOSwEppUO5pG
    I don't have time to F about with flea bay.
    I will look at saving some of the wire rope as 75% of its length is still OK.
    The section near the drum was totally stuffed. Considering what occurred I wont be degrading the Supercheap winches. If it can grind on and damage a steel rope seems its not that bad after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast