Thread: Welch Plug Hole Badly Corroded

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welch Plug Hole Badly Corroded

Hi All. I am in the process of replacing the head gasket and found that one of my welch plug holes is badly corroded. In fact, the welch plug appears to have merged with the hole. I cleaned off some of the corrosion but It shows me that there is no longer an actual round hole in the block. Has anyone had this problem and if so how was it fixed? I have atttached some pics...... Your help would be appreciated muchly.....cheers.

Attachment 62677
    Attachment 62676
    Attachment 62675
    Last edited by aussie54; 13th November 2015 at 11:02 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee that looks nasty, worse than a dirty nappy lol!

Whats the approx size of the hole you think?, this may help with ideas from our mates here.
    really think you need to start looking at all the plugs given the state of that one and the muck around it.
    the block looks like it needs some serious flushing, even your rad and the interior heater core.

looks like ya have nothing to loose but to flush/clean block/around the hole lots, to get a better look at the situation.
    could get lucky and only be the face, not side of plug corroded.
    all fingers crossed.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eeeeyuk, That is seriously horrible eh, ...
    Do they still do acid dips of blocks to clean out the galleries or can they not do it due to all the alloy these days?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Gee that looks nasty, worse than a dirty nappy lol!

Whats the approx size of the hole you think?, this may help with ideas from our mates here.
    really think you need to start looking at all the plugs given the state of that one and the muck around it.
    the block looks like it needs some serious flushing, even your rad and the interior heater core.

looks like ya have nothing to loose but to flush/clean block/around the hole lots, to get a better look at the situation.
    could get lucky and only be the face, not side of plug corroded.
    all fingers crossed.
    It takes a 18mm plug. It is the exhuast side of the engine. Yes it will need a good cleanout. I used a screw driver to scrap away the corroded bits and what is left feels solid. Maybe I can drill it clean and then maybe try and plug it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using plain water as a coolant?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be able to use JB Weld on it and then grind it back.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Been using plain water as a coolant?
    That must be the case.

Cheapest solution might be to weld a permanent plug?!!!

Or cut it to next plug size. A hole cutter can do it, with a 90 degree attachment to the drill.

Either way, use JB weld or similar compound around the seat.
    Last edited by dom14; 14th November 2015 at 12:32 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies. Yes for a long time it only had water in it as the head gasket was leaking water out and it was being topped up regular with just water. Did not have a oportunity to fix it. My Bad in many ways. I thought about using JB weld, but not sure how long it would hold. I do have a 90 Degree drill attachment and after I remove the exhuast pipe I will have a little more room.
    May give it a go this weekend. Thanks for all your replys.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie54 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Yes for a long time it only had water in it as the head gasket was leaking water out and it was being topped up regular with just water. Did not have a oportunity to fix it. My Bad in many ways. I thought about using JB weld, but not sure how long it would hold. I do have a 90 Degree drill attachment and after I remove the exhuast pipe I will have a little more room.
    Use anti corrosion additive with few bottles of distilled water. All of that costs less than $15 at Super Cheap Auto. Anti freeze bit more, but nowhere as critical as anti corrosion in Australian climate. Never use water for more than few days. I use plain water when I try to flush the coolant system by running it through few plain water change cycles. Use the water drain plug at the bottom of the block to get rid of all the plain water.
    Last edited by dom14; 14th November 2015 at 11:59 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie54 View Post
    If you are planning on keeping the car for a while I don't think just fixing that plug is enough.
    Hate to call it a 'tip of the iceberg' problem but I would be very concerned the corrosion won't be limited to just that plug.

What, if anything, did you notice when you had the head off to fix the gasket?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast