Thread: Camper trailer brands, New vs Used

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Camper trailer brands, New vs Used

We will be looking to upgrade our camper in the next 6-12 months. So, I thought I'd start researching now.
    We currently have an Kanga camper( http://www.kangacampertrailers.com.au/bigred.htm)

I like everthing about it except it has no independant suspension, but I believe the new models do.

As we all know there is shiploads of brands out there now. Has any one had any thing to do with this brand ?
    http://www.skamper.com.au/campers/di...ld-hard-floor/

Being advertised in 4WD Action probably means it's not the best quality and at over 5 metres long, it may be too long for our needs.

But, this is the sort of design we are after...
    It needs to be able to be set up by one person, have the tow ball hitch, and the 'tent' section only needs to be 10-12 foot.
    So, new or used ? Do they hold their value ? I'm thinking to spend around the $10-15k mark.
    We spend most our time in the vic high country, so lots of rocks and whoopsie doos.

I am still very much leaning towards the Kanga again as the one we have has been great and is Aussie owned and built.
    Any other suggestions of brands ?
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (28th June 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question?? Why independent suspension??
    We all drive very capable off road cars which have solid axles so what changes with a trailer??
    A good leaf eye to eye set and shocks is as good as any independent setup..
    Imo save the money and put it into built quality or batteries etc..

Does it need to be foward folding?
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (28th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get a popup bugger the tents but then your still only young and fit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

katwoman (27th October 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Just get a popup bugger the tents but then your still only young and fit
    Yeah I'm kinda siding with this. Albeit heavier though.
    We have a soft floor camper, had a ton of issues with it since buying it new. But I fixed all issues and made it even better than what the manu's did. Crap loads of storage being a soft floor, we keep all our camping gear stored in the camper with our 75L Engel. But. Its a right PITA to set up.
    Once both my kids are tenting it, and not sleeping in the camper annex, we want to sell it and go a popup or a hard floor. Pop ups are quick and easy to put up though, more time for camp fire time...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my thoughts as well why waste beer o clock time setting up a camper

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2015), Stropp (27th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Katwoman, I’m not trying to suggest what brand to buy, but some comments on campertrailer suspension.
    I’ve long known Collyn Rivers who, among other books wrote ‘The Campertrailer Book'.
    ( http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/...-trailer-book/ ).
    He has had an interest in suspension & handling dynamics of vehicles for many years & suggests that for off road use a combination of long travel suspension & good damping is very worthwhile, BUT only when well designed. He considers that on many ’off road’ camper trailers that the independent suspension is not particularly well designed (being more of a marketing ploy than a useful addition & that a good leaf sprung setup with shockers is better in those circumstances. He stresses that good shock absorbers on a trailer are much more important than whether the suspension is leaf or swingarm/coil. The disadvantage with swingarms/coils is that if you kill the shockers the suspension becomes virtually uncontrollable, whereas with leaf springs they will still work reasonably in those circumstances. Whichever way you go shockers are essential if you want to avoid the sort of damage which many experience with their trailers over corrugated outback roads. The long travel would be of most advantage in the more uneven gnarly off road stuff.

My limited experience with our Tvan’s suspension (250mm travel, softish but well damped ..... and one of the independent suspensions which get Collyn’s approval) is that unlike any other trailer I’ve owned which would bounce over stuff, it just absorbs the bumps. Other Tvan owners talk of outback travel with stuff just sitting on the bed over rough ground not moving at all. For high country use my choice would be long travel independent suspension on a trailer with as low weight as possible but I suspect with a budget around $15k you would need to be buying secondhand to get this, so a well damped leaf setup may be better if buying new??? Then again for predominantly high country driving I suppose it would be relatively slow speed stuff, quite different to long distance corrugations & ruts of outback travel which ’test’ suspension more than anything, so long travel might be more important than overall design???

Not easy is it? LOL

You are *way* more experienced than me in driving/towing around the high country, but I’d also wonder if the trailer you linked to is fairly heavy (1900kg) to drag around that sort of terrain?
    Last edited by Cuppa; 27th October 2015 at 11:07 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (28th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah I'm kinda siding with this. Albeit heavier though.
    We have a soft floor camper, had a ton of issues with it since buying it new. But I fixed all issues and made it even better than what the manu's did. Crap loads of storage being a soft floor, we keep all our camping gear stored in the camper with our 75L Engel. But. Its a right PITA to set up.
    Once both my kids are tenting it, and not sleeping in the camper annex, we want to sell it and go a popup or a hard floor. Pop ups are quick and easy to put up though, more time for camp fire time...
    I like the idea of storing all my camping crap in one but if they are a PITA to setup I just couldn't see the value for me.
    I'm really keen to get one, but it has to be an easy setup without the awning. Awning doesn't matter so much as 90% of the time we wouldn't use it
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a shed load of reading, dry washing my hands and gnashing my teeth, I've bitten the bullet and purchased a used 2007 Complete Campsite 16' Nomad. It's the one nearly at the bottom of this page. Why this one? For a few reasons - 1. It came with a truck load of gear, 2. Complete Campsite are consistent winners in their class for camper trailers 3. Every forum I've read, owners rave about them, 4. The person from whom I purchased mine is a serving police officer. I am an ex-policeman so there was a connection there that I knew I wouldn't be let down. 5. The price was right. I paid significantly (by some thousands) less than the price advertised there.

We plan on touring and off roading with it both with our club and just my wife and I. Very happy camper.

EDIT: All that said, I've not picked it up yet so cannot give you the heads up on ease of set up etc. But people consistently say it's not difficult and can be done by one person between 10 - 20mins per segment (or less of two are setting up). Segment being main area, annexes etc.
    Last edited by LaughingBeagles; 27th October 2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Looking for a 4WD Club in WA that caters solely for Patrol, Safari and Maverick owners? Click here to HERE to visit the Western Patrol Club. Click HERE for the Beagle Mobile Mods!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LaughingBeagles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every pole, every guy rope, every bit of canvas ............ adds to the PITA level. What is acceptable for the occasional weekend or two week holidays is very different to what is acceptable for longer touring trips. Every *minute* it takes to put something up or to take it down quickly compounds over more than a couple of weeks travel. I am reminded of TPC who whilst having a great Kimberley trip with camper trailer found that toward the end of a few weeks they were really over the daily grind of setting up/packing up & opted for motels IIRC.

This was the main reason we went for a Tvan, & even with that, setup can take anything from 2 minutes to 20 minutes depending upon how much we set up. I can’t imagine setting up the 20 minute option unless planning to stay at least a few days. One camper trailer I saw which had every bell & whistle imaginable, all stainless this that & the other, a gazillion poles & acres of canvas - looked fantastic......... until I saw them packing. No exaggeration - pack up took over two hours!

I wouldn’t dream of buying any form of touring ‘accomodation’ without first watching the seller set it up, or setting it up myself. The reality for many is very different to the promise.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2015), katwoman (27th October 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    I like the idea of storing all my camping crap in one but if they are a PITA to setup I just couldn't see the value for me.
    I'm really keen to get one, but it has to be an easy setup without the awning. Awning doesn't matter so much as 90% of the time we wouldn't use it
    Yeah mine is a pain to set up. Well. We have got it down pat pretty good now. The actual tent part can be done very quickly. It just folds out, add a few poles inside and extend them out, a few pegs and your done. The awning that covers the rear part of the trailer, where the kitchen is, is the painful part. We normally keep this attached to the main tent and all is needed is the poles inserted and stood up. This can take a bit as I'm not real tall so I take a small ladder with me. Lol. And you need two people to put this part up. One of the longest parts of the setup is getting the stuff out required to setup up. Which usually has all the other camping gear stacked on top.
    But we have an inner spring queen size bed to sleep on which makes up for it. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast