Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hi lift or exhaust jack

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you got me thinking, something new to get, I used my hi lift on my camper a couple of times, not to heavy good lift points, but the camper is gone now, as you say there is nowhere on the patrol to use them. I will just keep the hi lift for pull ing fence posts, spreading stair stringers etc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too need to invest in a bag Coger after this thread mate and many other very helpful threads on here. If you've already got a Hi-Lift I still reckon they are worth taking along as backup mate. One scenario I experienced years ago was on the Murray river flats accidentally slid/dropped my old DX ute into a very narrow boghole bellied out. Winch died and my old 4.3m lightish tinny was still out of the hole so used one to disconnect it and push it aside. There was absolutely no way I believe a bag could have been SCUBA'd under the truck yet the two steel jacks saved the night hoisting the tray corners up enough to throw logs under the tyres and clear the diffs. Not recommended practice but it worked that night.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Most Hi lifts come with a 48" bar I would never contemplate buying the 60" bar as a replacement.
    I realise having a coil live axle it needs to be lifted heaps if jacking by the bullbar, there are
    attachments that will slip over the hub and make the lift shorter.
    The thought of having your pride and joy 60" in the air is mind boggling most 60" bars will bend,
    most chinese 48" bars will bend too .Not long ago a heap of chinese bars flooded the market
    so buy a branded Hi-lift,,,, My Trewella jack was purchased back in 82 but used them before that
    pulling out fence posts, just place the "foot" in a notch and jack away.
    If no notch wrap a chain around it, you'll acheive the same result lol
    If buying one for the first time ,,buy one with the optional "top foot" very handy indeed. lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 27th February 2017 at 09:58 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Along the recovery lines,,, does anyone still carry or use a Tirfor hand winch anymore.
    I remember up the Cape in '83 the ppl in front @ Cockatoo creek were winching
    one vehicle with one of those pissy little "come a longs". We offered to help but
    they flatly refused so we lost half a day waiting for them. Made camp and they were
    still winching the second vehicle up at 10pm that night ,,,GRrrrr some ppl,, lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

MB (7th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah John mate, still have again Dad's old one in my shed now. Original Tirfor, used it in my 20's on lightweight FJ40s back when da back could handle it:-) Reckon its only been used a couple of times in the last 10 years clearing logs on the block or at work inside factories without electric bullbar access. Tuff old things but damn you need to be fit :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yeah John mate, still have again Dad's old one in my shed now. Original Tirfor, used it in my 20's on lightweight FJ40s back when da back could handle it:-) Reckon its only been used a couple of times in the last 10 years clearing logs on the block or at work inside factories without electric bullbar access. Tuff old things but damn you need to be fit :-)
    yeah very labour intensive thats for sure, plus they were a bit bulky to carry around
    then you had the coil of cable, How things have changed,, and safer too I hope,,,,lol

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many many years ago I bought a BRANO - the Czech copy of the Tirfor or the original design - can't remember. One of the strongest winches within its capacity range that i have come across. It was heavy, extremely tight and hard to engage, but would winch and winch as long as you had the strength to cycle the lever and never did a shear pin. This was the single motivator to getting a powered winch! My brother still has it and its been thru hell and back, no maintenance etc and abused its whole life, but I bet if I had to use it tomorrow it would save the day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Many many years ago I bought a BRANO - the Czech copy of the Tirfor or the original design - can't remember. One of the strongest winches within its capacity range that i have come across. It was heavy, extremely tight and hard to engage, but would winch and winch as long as you had the strength to cycle the lever and never did a shear pin. This was the single motivator to getting a powered winch! My brother still has it and its been thru hell and back, no maintenance etc and abused its whole life, but I bet if I had to use it tomorrow it would save the day.
    Yeah there was only one "brand" of Tirfor for years then the Patent ran out
    maybe in the early 90's and market was flooded with inferior chjnese copies.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Yeah there was only one "brand" of Tirfor for years then the Patent ran out
    maybe in the early 90's and market was flooded with inferior chjnese copies.
    The Brano is made in Europe and is unbelievably heavy, so heavy it is almost a pain to carry. It was made from 3mm mild steel which has twice what the Tirfor was, and you could not twist the frame like a tirfor. I don't know if they are still avail for sale, but I would go for one of these over the Tirfor.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

threedogs (10th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AB and I paired up 2 x new Hi-Lift Extremes today to help on his block. Works pretty good and quick to just lift tree ends up 50mm to keep the chainsaws out of the dirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (18th March 2017), threedogs (18th March 2017)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast