OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first trip to Fraser Island, won't be our last.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our first trip to Fraser Island, won't be our last.

We spent 8 days of the best camping trip we've ever had, we didn't want to go home. We did Indian Heads, Ngkala Rocks, Lake Mackenzie, Central Station, Champagne Pools, Eli Creek, King Fisher Bay, Eurong, Happy Valley, Cathedral Beach and so on. Sandi (my better half) drove most days to our destination, she loved the challenging stuff, she even did Indian Heads with the handbrake on , we were walking Ngkala Rocks when a local said to her that his wife drives it all the time and it can't be done unless your tyres are at 16 psi and your going hard, then off he went in his V8 land cruiser ute hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd and as he went out of site there was a massive cloud of black smoke and Fire shouted over the UHF, I leaned over to Sandi and said I wonder if his wife drives like that too . So we decided to keep our tyres at 20 psi and we just drove at a reasonable pace and had no problems. Now for some Photos:

Our Camp site at Central Station
    PA120037_zpszpuucnno.jpg

PA120038_zpsklsu6lfo.jpg

Maheno Wreck
    PA120040_zpsivrl4sqw.jpg

Sandi and Myself at Eli Creek
    PA120057_zpspz7rnrhl.jpg

Lunch at Eli
    PA120068_zpssmykpy6j.jpg

Sandi driving Ngkala Rocks
    PA140155_zpsy66gnp8z.jpg

One of the great lakes
    PA150201_zps6vxoveit.jpg

Waiting for the barge home
    PA170238_zpsab0gghf0.jpg

And after 200 odd Klms home still lots of sand
    PA180253_zpsqxtbeqs5.jpg

And an honourable mention for this guy traveling around Aus on a Rigid Chopper
    PA160221_zpsxi3uymrz.jpg

There are some very interesting people out there and we loved taking to some of them.
    We can't wait to go back and already planing our next trip.
    2003 Nissan Patrol GU III with a ZD30, purchased June 2015. 2 inch lift, air bags in back, Copper Brass Radiator. Safari Snorkel. Diesel Smart Monster Intercooler, Performance Computer, 20psi Boost Actuator. 3 inch Dominator exhaust. Dual Batteries. Pillar Pods. Glow Plug Timer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWild View Post
    We spent 8 days of the best camping trip we've ever had, we didn't want to go home. We did Indian Heads, Ngkala Rocks, Lake Mackenzie, Central Station, Champagne Pools, Eli Creek, King Fisher Bay, Eurong, Happy Valley, Cathedral Beach and so on. Sandi (my better half) drove most days to our destination, she loved the challenging stuff, she even did Indian Heads with the handbrake on , we were walking Ngkala Rocks when a local said to her that his wife drives it all the time and it can't be done unless your tyres are at 16 psi and your going hard, then off he went in his V8 land cruiser ute hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd and as he went out of site there was a massive cloud of black smoke and Fire shouted over the UHF, I leaned over to Sandi and said I wonder if his wife drives like that too . So we decided to keep our tyres at 20 psi and we just drove at a reasonable pace and had no problems. Now for some Photos:

Our Camp site at Central Station
    PA120037_zpszpuucnno.jpg

PA120038_zpsklsu6lfo.jpg

Maheno Wreck
    PA120040_zpsivrl4sqw.jpg

Sandi and Myself at Eli Creek
    PA120057_zpspz7rnrhl.jpg

Lunch at Eli
    PA120068_zpssmykpy6j.jpg

Sandi driving Ngkala Rocks
    PA140155_zpsy66gnp8z.jpg

One of the great lakes
    PA150201_zps6vxoveit.jpg

Waiting for the barge home
    PA170238_zpsab0gghf0.jpg

And after 200 odd Klms home still lots of sand
    PA180253_zpsqxtbeqs5.jpg

And an honourable mention for this guy traveling around Aus on a Rigid Chopper
    PA160221_zpsxi3uymrz.jpg

There are some very interesting people out there and we loved taking to some of them.
    We can't wait to go back and already planing our next trip.
    thanks for sharing mate! love the pics, i have to get up there, the place looks majestic!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an awesome place. Myself and a few mates are planning to make a weeklong trip there an annual thing. It's just an awesome spot!!

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good trip report there Jakewild Going to defiantly have to put Fraser on the list.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, it is most defiantly worth going.
    2003 Nissan Patrol GU III with a ZD30, purchased June 2015. 2 inch lift, air bags in back, Copper Brass Radiator. Safari Snorkel. Diesel Smart Monster Intercooler, Performance Computer, 20psi Boost Actuator. 3 inch Dominator exhaust. Dual Batteries. Pillar Pods. Glow Plug Timer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just back from Fraser myself.... a little disappointed as all the hard stuff has been made super easy now, but still amazing nonetheless.

I guess with the amount of vehicles, they had to do that to keep it all open without having to do massive remedial work regularly. We waited in a line of over 150 vehicles for the barge on our return ... kids stopped counting at over 120 and couldn't be bothered to finish counting, but the line continued around the next bend ... three barges running and all
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Just back from Fraser myself.... a little disappointed as all the hard stuff has been made super easy now, but still amazing nonetheless.
    The main road gets graded twice a day every day mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got back on the 17th happygu and there were only about 12 vehicles coming home, sounds like we managed to go in a quiet week and from all the stories we were told it seemed a lot easier than we thought but just put it down to the mighty GU.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Punderhead View Post
    The main road gets graded twice a day every day mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is correct, and it is amazing the difference 12 hours can make ...... we had a huge on shore breeze/gale, which pushed high tide all the way to the top of the beach, and made it like a billiard table on the main highway.

I was more talking about all the bypasses, which are now all boarded, and stuff like the final downhill section into Kingfisher, which is now bitumen

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWild View Post
    We got back on the 17th happygu and there were only about 12 vehicles coming home, sounds like we managed to go in a quiet week and from all the stories we were told it seemed a lot easier than we thought but just put it down to the mighty GU.
    We had a bit of rain, which makes it all a little easier too..... it sounds like you missed School Holidays - and that helps with less traffic.

I should dig out a picture of the Maheno wreck the first time we went, as it has really deteriorated over the years, and we have noticed the process speeding up over the last couple of visits.

We found two punts/barges that had been left behind as wrecks on the other side of the island down near Ungowa, which we had never seen before - there is so much to see and do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast