Thread: 240v tv through inverter

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

240v tv through inverter

Just wanted to see how fast a normal tv through a inverter in my patrol would drain my aux battery. Can anybody tell me this?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars04 View Post
    Just wanted to see how fast a normal tv through a inverter in my patrol would drain my aux battery. Can anybody tell me this?
    Cheers
    Im not sure but on my last trip i enjoyed watching a movie on my 24inch lcd tv with my mediagate movie player and was running a fridge... in thr morning i checked the voltage snd it was at 12.2v

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that just a normal everday hosehold lcd? What battery where yoy running?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars04 View Post
    Was that just a normal everday hosehold lcd? What battery where yoy running?
    Normal 240v lcd and the battery is a 105ah deep cycle

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the type & size of TV. You need to check the power consumption on the TV’s label. It will be in watts. Divide the number of watts by the battery voltage & it will give you the current it will draw from the battery in amp hours (Ah).

eg. Say tv is rated at 60 watts. Divide 60 by 12(volts) = 5 Ah (i.e. 5amps for 1 hour)

If you have a 100Ah battery you have a useable capacity of about 50 Ah before the battery is discharged below a level which will shorten the life of the battery considerably.

So ..... if you running nothing else, you could happily run your 60 watt Tv for 10 hours. Of course you will likely be running other stuff too & need to have an idea of how much current they draw too.

Bottom line is that a smaller Tv’s will use less than big Tv’s, & newer flat panel LED types use the least. If you have one which runs direct off 12v it will use less than a 240v one which will also need an inverter to run it. Inverters themselves will use some of the battery’s capacity. When trying to work out how much power will be drawn from your batteries by an inverter, a very rough but easy rule of thumb is for every 100w at 240v, you can expect the inverter to draw about 10amps at 12v from your batteries.

If you use a satellite dish to get your signal you also have to power the Satellite receiver.

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/amps.htm
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th October 2015 at 08:55 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

AB (12th October 2015), Bloodyaussie (12th October 2015), Nightjar (13th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good post Cuppa, we were given a 12v tv and it's only small but more then perfect to shut the kids up on camp to watch a movie before bed.

My old man (and Roofy) curse us for doing this but ?

They are cheap to buy mate so if it's a possible necessity in your lifestyle then buy a compatible tv as the old Rank Arena won't cut it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (12th October 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Good post Cuppa, we were given a 12v tv and it's only small but more then perfect to shut the kids up on camp to watch a movie before bed.

My old man (and Roofy) curse us for doing this but ?

They are cheap to buy mate so if it's a possible necessity in your lifestyle then buy a compatible tv as the old Rank Arena won't cut it
    I also like to snuggle up in bed with mags and watch a movie... yes there are the critics but meh!!
    i dont tell them how to live .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was camped up at Angusvale (Mitchell River National Park) in our bus one easter. Kid walks past, stops & asks what the satellite dish was. “For the Tv” I said. Straight out he responded “That’s not proper camping .... me dad said”. I smiled & asked him if he had a TV at home. “Yeah, course” he said. “Well this is our home so do you reckon you’re dad would approve”. “Yeah” he said with gusto & a big grin.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (12th October 2015), Nightjar (13th October 2015), TPC (12th October 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha might jusy go for a 12v tv, it is just for the kids

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged