Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to install a nutsert without using the tooling

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree best to have tool for stainless, actually ordered a tool today for just that (3-12mm range of Nutserts). All set up ready to go but have to wait until Friday for tool.

Need to do 6mm SS now, will give the nut and bolt method a go in a piece of scrap plate to see as the wait will get the better of me...
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bought a whole kit a while ago, with tool and nutserts. Have only used it a couple of time and found when pulling up the nutsert using the tool I have stripped the thread inside the nutsert. I think I haven't had the tool set right for the thickness of the paneling, but the kit came with instructions that are pretty much useless. So as of late I have just done it by feel with success.

Very handy item to have though.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I bought a whole kit a while ago, with tool and nutserts. Have only used it a couple of time and found when pulling up the nutsert using the tool I have stripped the thread inside the nutsert. I think I haven't had the tool set right for the thickness of the paneling, but the kit came with instructions that are pretty much useless. So as of late I have just done it by feel with success.

Very handy item to have though.
    Yeah, the tools have quite a bit of leverage... on smaller sizes up to about say M6 its easy to pull the mandrel thru the Nutsert if you don't set the tool correctly or lapse into Schwarznegger Mode... goes off with a bit of a bang when it does too, eh :-)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yeah, the tools have quite a bit of leverage... on smaller sizes up to about say M6 its easy to pull the mandrel thru the Nutsert if you don't set the tool correctly or lapse into Schwarznegger Mode... goes off with a bit of a bang when it does too, eh :-)
    Are you referring to the threaded bolt as the mandrel when setting the nutsert using nut/bolt/washers method?

Ah, read your post again and realize now that it is tool mandrel is what you said....been hot in the shed
    Last edited by Bidja; 30th January 2019 at 02:26 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    The "nut, bolt and a couple of washers" works well for the most part and is really handy if you don't have clearance for a Nutsert Tool Head (or Rivnut if one prefers).

I tend to use a Nutsert Tool most of the time tho, esp on stainless... worth having of you use Nutserts regularly, not so much if you only do a couple on rare occasions.
    Did a successful trial set with 6mm SS Nutsert using the bolt / nut and washers method in a piece of discarded body panel (had sharp edges). Solid work to set it though-significant torque was req"d.

Patrol Pillar A, was a totally different story, the Nutsert just would not stop spinning, finally started to pull up, then with 2mm length to go the HTS bolt failed in tension(elongation) just above the adjusting nut and the Nutsert with broken bolt were captivated in the panel/pillar cavity. Was able to get my trim tool under the Nutsert flange and lock it from turning and unscrewed/removed the remaining threaded bolt shank. Nutsert remains 80% set in pillar and will finish off when tool arrives. Just have to wait for the tool. Plenty to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bidja; 31st January 2019 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to install a nutsert without using the tooling

Commercially these days in our little game we’re on pneumatic (exy priced) nut/riv guns but the old days found any and all methods really appreciated 2 x washers with grease in between prior to readying the serts for squishing
    EDIT: Preferably shiny SS slippery washers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Commercially these days in our little game we’re on pneumatic (exy priced) nut/riv guns but the old days found any and all methods really appreciated 2 x washers with grease in between prior to readying the serts for squishing
    EDIT: Preferably shiny SS slippery washers!

Grease is what I recon could have improved outcome. Used small new SS washers.

My set up was metal threaded Hx Hd bolt, first on was adjusting nut, 2 slip washer, a thread clearance nut, single washer then nutsert. The slip nut was just to provide support to assy and should not have been cause of failure. Tempted to try grease but might wait out for tool.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I recall correctly back then John mate, including all above good blokes tips and tricks like ours on the fly. Pretty sure we were happy using mild steel bolts and butchering their bolt threads each second tough sert. Probably a bad plan mate although piffing out MS bolts back then seemed to get the job done easy greasy and home

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had an air hydraulic nutsert/rivnut tool like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nutsert-...mJZE:rk:1:pf:0
    for years now. Less than half the price now to what I paid & IMHO worth every cent if you have more than one or two nutserts/rivnuts to put in ...... & if you have one of these you will tend to find more uses for rivnuts/nutserts in your life.... I guarantee it! If you have a compressor you need one of these.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Picked up a hand operated rotary nut loading structure with 8" handles (M3-M6), compact size but was handwork to set 6mm zinc plate low carbon steel nutserts.

/sydneytools.com.au/product/shotgun-snr8-8-heavy-duty-industrial-nut-riveter-kit

Had success but think air/hydraulic would be a big improvement. Thanks Cuppa
    Last edited by Bidja; 1st February 2019 at 11:13 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast