Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Rust-nailed it in one sentence!
    Way overpriced for what you get. And there is no future-proof whatsoever, in terms of a desktop unit. For the price of a current range of iMacs for instance, you could build or get your self built a latest specced PC, and still have $ left over to splash out on other stuff.... OR $ left over to buy upgrades in the future. Whether that may be a CPU or a video card or larger hard drive etc...

Apple stuff is good. But in my opinion, it's one case of "You don't get what you pay for."
    thank god! i was beginning to think i was the only non-apple fanboy on here lol!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (7th October 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    thank god! i was beginning to think i was the only non-apple fanboy on here lol!
    haha I'm not a so called non-fanboi. I don't mind "some" things they have. One of them, is simplicity, or user friendliness if you want to call it that. Although this may seem like a huge positive to some people, you have to look a a more larger picture.... There are cons.

But the major reason I don't like Apples computer range, way overpriced and way too restrictive IMO.
    My original career was IT. Building PC and audio systems into audio and video studios, including implementing many Apple iMacs and Mac Pros.
    I got fed up with people splashing out big dollars on the Apple stuff, then realized it's way too restrictive from a software spectrum, and on countless occasions I had to go back weeks later and convert the setup to a PC or Linux based system. I still mess with PC's, its' remained as my hobby, building and OC-ing, pushing them till they sweat lol.

Anyways, this shit won't help the OP.

My 3 cents worth... I reckon, You'll be wasting $$$ buying Apple when right now out there there was laptops and PCs that will blow the highest specced Mac available out of the water, at a fraction of the cost. If you're not too PC savvy, go the Dell way... Good value and good warranty service if things go sour.
    I'll just leave that there.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    haha I'm not a so called non-fanboi.
    sorry thats not what i meant haha, i meant that everyone else is an apply fan boy, not that i specifically dislike apple lol

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (7th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be noted that I specifically did not recommend that anyone else buy a Mac. I have no reason to get into a Mac vs PC debate.

Bottom line is “yes” I have paid more for my Macs than I would have for PC’s, & have done that since my last PC (a 486 & Windows 98) because I find using the Mac way more pleasant & they do all I ask of them. Like I said “not for everyone” though. I have tried a few later versions of Windows (I think the last was Windows 7 Professional on a work provided laptop my wife had) & hated it, although I’ll readily admit that much of that had to do with unfamiliarity. So yes I’ve paid more but with it I get the ease of familiarity & what for me is a much more user friendly experience, plus reliability & longevity. I know I could get more for less, but am stuck in my ways. Maybe it’s a bit like folk who pay extra for an ST or a Ti over a DX? All horses for courses stuff. This is my third computer/third laptop/third mac since that 486 - each one has cost $3k (never paid the price on the Mac site).

Of course things do go wrong. I was in the UK in mid 2012. My laptop (bought new in Australia via ebay in 2007) had it’s main logic board give up the ghost & the screen image became unintelligible psychedelia. I took it to an Apple shop thinking “well out of warranty - probably too expensive to get repaired’. They checked it out, confirmed the main logic board had karked it & said “The bad news is that replacement will cost 700 pounds (approx $1500)”, but in the next breath added “but it is a ‘known fault’ with that model so we’ll replace it cost free”. Now I reckon that was pretty damn good on the other side of the world on a machine well out of warranty & bought at a discounted price off eBay! And as I’ve said my wife still uses it daily.

Increasingly over the years I have become irritated by Apple’s moves to tie all their products together. I put up with not having the continuity that many Apple owners because I don’t need it. I won’t pay the ridiculous amounts they want for an iPhone for example, ‘cos I only use a phone as a phone...... you know ...... that old fashioned thing to make calls with. So I only have a cheaper android on an Aldi pay as you go plan & rarely if ever use any apps on it. Only got it because the touch screen made text messages easier to type.

Recently I downloaded the latest version of OS X (El Capitan - dumb name eh?) & found that it didn’t play well with my 3rd party VPN client & crashed & would not reboot. I suspect this is because the OS looks for a network in the early stages of booting up, rather than booting up & then asking what network I want to join. I have since reverted back to the fully functional previous OS from a back up.

So.............. I am gradually thinking less of Apple if I’m to be honest ................. but not enough to yet force me to swap to another OS or brand of computer.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, Matt. What they are saying is buy a desk top/laptop, mid range for between $600-$1200.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (8th October 2015), rusty_nail (7th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    snip...
    " plus reliability & longevity" - come on cuppa, did you not read what i said above? they are identical hardware... what makes you think they are more reliable or have better longevity?

"Maybe it’s a bit like folk who pay extra for an ST or a Ti over a DX?" - its not the same thing... you noticably get different 'hardware' in the different models of are you saying the DX comes out with central locking and leather seats? haha...

but in the next breath added “but it is a ‘known fault’ with that model so we’ll replace it cost free” - most companies with known faults will repair their product free of charge... similar to the nissan airbag recall... sorry to burst your bubble but its not an exclusive trait...

oh, and john... im still waiting for your address in a message mate haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    So, Matt. What they are saying is buy a desk top/laptop, mid range for between $600-$1200.
    thanks kat, thats what ive been trying to say since my original post haha, but the apple peeps got us off track and im always up for a debate haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

katwoman (7th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not disputing anything you’ve said Rusty, just making the point that I’m happy with my choice.
    Any & all choices are made for many reasons ...... reasons which would see others make different choices & still be happy.

I was interested in what you said about being able to use the Mac OS on non Mac machines “if you really wanted too”. I’m not someone who generally pays more for stuff than I need to provided I can see value for money & so would be interested in an equivalent machine to run the OS I’m happy & familiar with just so long as it didn’t involve a huge learning curve to make it work ......... when the time comes for my next upgrade. What is involved?

I’ll take back what I said above, I will dispute one thing , hmmm in light of your last post since I started typing this .... make that two.

Comparing air bag recall to the service I received is a bit of a stretch. I may be wrong but would be very surprised if any/many other computer manufacturers would have given that service.
    As to who got us off track - I’d say if a post had to be picked it would have been #8, but as I’m not into pointing fingers I’ll acknowledge that my response to you only served to push us further off track. It’s all good, I’ve quite enjoyed our little exchange of views & am quite happy to acknowledge your greater knowledge of ‘under the hood’ computer stuff than I possess.

EDIT: Just read this - doesn’t sound easy. http://www.howtogeek.com/178031/why-...l-os-x-on-pcs/ & I also read of something called Virtualbox which allows you to run OS X under Windows - don’t think I’d like that - seems it negates the advantage of a low resource using OS if you have to run it under a more resource hungry OS.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th October 2015 at 03:32 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (7th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Comparing air bag recall to the service I received is a bit of a stretch. I may be wrong but would be very surprised if any/many other computer manufacturers would have given that service.
    ill answer your other questions later i dont have time for a full response now, but ok another example... i logged a job with google for my nexus 4 mobile phone 20 months after i purchased it brand new, that it wouldnt turn on... and they sent me a BRAND NEW ONE, like i mean completely brand new... with another 2 years warranty on it, they even sent me a label to put on a box to send the old one back to them so it cost me nothing! its not a competition but come on, you had to take it into apple all i had to do was make a phone call haha
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 7th October 2015 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    EDIT: Just read this - doesn’t sound easy. http://www.howtogeek.com/178031/why-...l-os-x-on-pcs/ & I also read of something called Virtualbox which allows you to run OS X under Windows - don’t think I’d like that - seems it negates the advantage of a low resource using OS if you have to run it under a more resource hungry OS.
    nope nope nope nope nope, just wait for me to get back to you. ill let you know soon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast