Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which camera to buy?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So we ordered a Nikon D5300 from Harvey Norman for a steal.
    I did a photography course in high school years ago, and Amy's uncle is a professional photographer and has offered to show us a few things including editing software which we'll take him up on that offer too.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (8th October 2015), BigRAWesty (9th October 2015), katwoman (8th October 2015), rusty_nail (8th October 2015), threedogs (8th October 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think you will be disapointed in the D5300. Only thing is it's like the Patrol mods. Now you can start buying lenses and add ons.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    You only need the high MP that some cameras offer
    if you want to make posters from any of your shots
    My sons is 12 MP I think,
    actually picture quality comes down to a combination of lense quality and megapixels. there are compact cameras out there with high mega pixels and plastic lenses that will be beaten hands down by a camera with lower MPs with glass lenses. you take a look at the Nikon D700, which is (an older) full frame high end camera, it only has a 12.1 MP sensor, it takes bloody sharp pictures that you can blow up to 20x30 size photos of bigger.

winnie, as most has said mate, check out the Nikon DSLR they cant be faulted. keep an eye out for a twin lens combo, with camera, you should be able to pickup something for about the price you want. be wary of internet sales though, they will offer grey imported cameras which wont be covered by the Nikon Australia Warranty.

dont go away from nikon or cannon, they are the best on the market, that the majority of professional photographers use and there is a reason for that.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    So we ordered a Nikon D5300 from Harvey Norman for a steal.
    I did a photography course in high school years ago, and Amy's uncle is a professional photographer and has offered to show us a few things including editing software which we'll take him up on that offer too.
    well done mate i just made it down to this one. thats a nice bit of kit, it should serve you well
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winnie, your quest got me looking at cameras again. What I really want is a Sony A7 but at $2k I can’t see it happening. Your D5300 Nikon looks like a good choice & possibly a model I might be happy to compromise with if it’s not too bulky. It’d certainly be a step up from my current camera (which doesn’t have raw output). When you get it can you post a pic of you holding it so I can get an idea of it’s size.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Winnie, your quest got me looking at cameras again. What I really want is a Sony A7 but at $2k I can’t see it happening. Your D5300 Nikon looks like a good choice & possibly a model I might be happy to compromise with if it’s not too bulky. It’d certainly be a step up from my current camera (which doesn’t have raw output). When you get it can you post a pic of you holding it so I can get an idea of it’s size.
    Hows he gonna take the picture? LOL
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Winnie (9th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure Cuppa, we are picking it up tomorrow morning. Just FYI too we got it from Harvey Norman for $734 including the 18-55mm lens.
    It is superceded by Nikon though by the D5500 but with the price we got it for we couldn't really pass up. The price from HN was in line with eBay pricing but HN are an authorised Nikon dealer so you get the full Nikon Australia warranty.

That price was a sale though and has now gone up to just over $1000

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great buy.
    We got a cannon 550D and I'll probably never get its full potential even being a enrty to mod range dslr..
    The wife did a "getting out of auto" class and her photos improved 10 fold.. I'd really suggest it as the pros stay up with all the latest gear with each company..
    Your uncle may be just the man you need. But if he isn't a nickon man his input may be limited..
    Anyway great buy.
    Grab a good stand as that also helps with quality. Especially big shots like landscapes or night shots.
    Enjoy it bloke.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Great buy.
    We got a cannon 550D and I'll probably never get its full potential even being a enrty to mod range dslr..
    The wife did a "getting out of auto" class and her photos improved 10 fold.. I'd really suggest it as the pros stay up with all the latest gear with each company..
    Your uncle may be just the man you need. But if he isn't a nickon man his input may be limited..
    Anyway great buy.
    Grab a good stand as that also helps with quality. Especially big shots like landscapes or night shots.
    Enjoy it bloke.
    Yeah we have a $100 Myer voucher too and they have a photography section so we will get a memory card and see what else we can get with our money... Gee even memory cards ain't memory cards.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope you want the quickest you can get. They ain't cheap.
    Even a 3rd battery. As we found out at the pinicals
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast