Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GQ TD42 Auto....Trans Cooling Questions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that with 290k kms the trans should be considered as being in the latter part of its life. Even fitting shift kits, etc can't make up for the inevitable larger tolerances the clutch packs would now have. That's just due to typical normal wear in its lifetime.
    That doesn't mean that it won't last quite a bit longer if it's looked after with good fluid and temps and driven with the care that older transmissions require..

I would still drop the pan and inspect the magnet, wash out the strainer and flush it all with synthetic fluid. Castrol TransMax Z is one of the better fluids but a more cost effective (which I'm now using) is the Nulon Multi-vehicle synthetic. You can get it in 20 litre drums.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grunta11 View Post
    Hi Tucker trucker,
    just so i understand you correct.... you used to push 95 before the rebuild and now your lucky to break 85.......was it your engine or your trans your refering to there?
    either way thats bloody good news!........
    appreciate you taking the time for input.
    No worries mate, it was the trans. Shouldve been more clear lol. When really powering it and loading it (especially in OD) it would easily break the 100 mark. Highway temps and general use would push their way to about 95. But now I can load her up on the hills and I'm lucky if it breaks 85.
    Cheers, Dylan.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I think that with 290k kms the trans should be considered as being in the latter part of its life. Even fitting shift kits, etc can't make up for the inevitable larger tolerances the clutch packs would now have. That's just due to typical normal wear in its lifetime.
    That doesn't mean that it won't last quite a bit longer if it's looked after with good fluid and temps and driven with the care that older transmissions require..

I would still drop the pan and inspect the magnet, wash out the strainer and flush it all with synthetic fluid. Castrol TransMax Z is one of the better fluids but a more cost effective (which I'm now using) is the Nulon Multi-vehicle synthetic. You can get it in 20 litre drums.
    Haha, when my trans spat the dummy I wasnt too educated in towing with autos - I'm amazed it took four years for it to happen now..... costly lesson to learn.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckertrucker View Post
    No worries mate, it was the trans. Shouldve been more clear lol. When really powering it and loading it (especially in OD) it would easily break the 100 mark. Highway temps and general use would push their way to about 95. But now I can load her up on the hills and I'm lucky if it breaks 85.
    Cheers, Dylan.
    Hey TuckerT
    What rpms does yours sit at 100 klicks cruise?
    Mine with new 33`s at an indicated 100 is just under 2000 rpm. My diff is in possible need of a new crown wheel/pinion set and was thinking of maybe i should consider a ratio swap from 3.9 to 4.1 to keep her in the ideal cruise rev range - especially if I'm towing the camper trailer and a car load of gear.
    Its not yet turbo`d - thats a near future mod.
    i realise the front has to change too,.
    Last edited by grunta11; 12th October 2015 at 12:33 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post

Thats pretty sound advice jff, cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12