OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Radiator question, need your advice please?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiator question, need your advice please?

Hi all I have a 92 GQ TB42 auto. I am getting new radiator put in. Mechanic rung me he got radiator in which is right one for my car but the old one in there apparently is a diesel one and is same but has a sender ( I assume temp) on it that apparently is not on petrol one. Anybody shed some light on what it might be for and why its on my petrol one please. Thanks
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That can't be right... The TD and TB Rads were totally different and aren't interchangeable.

In the TB's the amount of fittings and sensors depends on Manual or Auto... and... A/C or not A/C

IIRC and it was about 4 Patrols ago I had my TB42 Auto so could be wrong, there should be sensors on the Auto Rad (with A/C) for coolant temp for the Auto and also for the eleccy fan on the A/C
    Last edited by the evil twin; 3rd October 2015 at 01:57 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ET I thought was a bit strange but he said was right one. Didn't think of sensor for AC fan or for auto. I was also thinking about putting in twin thermo fans instead of the factory clutch fan, was told much better cooling. any thoughts on this as I've never had much to do with them. Also wired through a switch so (not that I will probably do much) can turn off for a water crossing. I have been the victim of a fan taking out the radiator on a crossing before on Bribie Island. Wasn't pretty or lol cheap excercise
    Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyGQ View Post
    Thanks ET I thought was a bit strange but he said was right one. Didn't think of sensor for AC fan or for auto. I was also thinking about putting in twin thermo fans instead of the factory clutch fan, was told much better cooling. any thoughts on this as I've never had much to do with them. Also wired through a switch so (not that I will probably do much) can turn off for a water crossing. I have been the victim of a fan taking out the radiator on a crossing before on Bribie Island. Wasn't pretty or lol cheap excercise
    G'day Sharky,

In regards your considering of removing factory clutch fan and installing twinelectrics I have a little experience here on my GU but ET would be truly best for helping you make the right decision as sometimes I've found stock setups working properly can truly beat most!

If you are to install electrics, definitely do install an isolator switch for crossings as you've mentioned. I'm assuming you're considering rear radiator mounted with polarity reversed but either way make sure you design and build a fan mount system slightly off the radiator itself, I've had the standard supplied push through plastics cut through cores in a previous life.

Only 2 more suggestions I could offer are to research the brands/specs as some do suck a lot more power than expected for minimal pull.

SPAL (Italy) was one brand I did find in the USA but never tried/tested but they did appear on paper as superior amps<>cfm and also a heap more compact in depth of the motor/housings and overall.

Cheers!