Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i finally bought a patrol!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also going to be flushing the cooling system as it has been filled with water for god knows how long.

I was going to use a radiator flush product but not sure whether i should, could i be doing more harm than good? loosening rusted over holes in the cooling system making more holes?

Im thinking i could just flush it out with water but there is quite a lot of muddy brown in there..

any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Just joined myself and getting some great feedback already. Great forum. Get into it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    alright cheers for that, and with the oil filter you say x2 z115... mines got only 1 filter and its a z705? i think my engine is a tb42 - only 1 filter?
    nah mate 1x Oil filter Ryco Z170
    1x fuel filter Ryco Z322

About your coolant system, no idea mate maybe hang around until Tony can give you an answer he'll sort you out...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TDR, welcome. I am also new to the patrol scene and joind recently. The only thing I know about coolants is that there are two different chemical families used and if you mix them it is worse than just water alone. If the water is brown, it does not sound like it has had coolant in it for a while, but you might need to flush it out a couple of times to make sure that it has been thoroughly cleaned. Make sure that the engine is warm enough for the thermostat to open so that you flush all the way though the system. One of the techies can give you the best advice though. Good luck.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just went and bought some stuff, the oil filter cost me 25 bucks!!! 5.5L of 15w-40 Castrol gtx modern eng $24 x2 wasn't sure if i should buy the "modern" engine oil but they assured me it was ok. and some oil flush to get rid of all the old crud.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cooling systems arevery important, yet easily overlooked. To flush out, just undo hoses at the clamps closer to the radiator.
    Next undo surround off radiator. Next undo mounting bolts of radiator. Once radiator is loose, remove radiator.

Now get garden hose and turn tap on at a steady flow without a hose attachment ( no nozzles etc). To begin flushing radiator, remove radiator cap and turn radiator upside down onto clean pathway/driveway. Place hose in bottom (now at top) outlet and let water flow through.

The reason you turn upside is to let any crap fall out instead of jamming further in the tubes. If happy that you have clean water now, lay radiator down and check for foriegn material in top tank. If clear just run water through from top for quick double check clean.

No don't put in radiator yet. Take hose over to motor and place in top hose and flush motor until clean water appears. Now reinstall radiator and fill with quality coolant. ( I recommend buying from radiator shop, or , Castoral Concentrate and mix to instructions. Don't penny pinch and buy cheap ready made coolant. TROUBLE IN A BOTTLE!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

Ted (8th April 2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
    Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123