Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Thats the 'old' McHitch.
    I had one for a while and they are on par with the others of that design and most variations quite good in their own right

The new style McHitch Auto Couplers are wicked easier.
    I am soooo happy I 'upgraded'
    The ‘auto’ ones do look good ... just watched a video on them. I could be tempted if I ever need a replacement.

Quite amazing how many different designs there are to do what is basically a pretty simple task.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look at the McHitch they do look good.
    Only time I had issues hooking up with the Treg was when I was trying to back down a slope, PITA to get the height right. Luckily roofy was there to assist.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

threedogs (29th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The ‘auto’ ones do look good ... just watched a video on them. I could be tempted if I ever need a replacement.

Quite amazing how many different designs there are to do what is basically a pretty simple task.
    ROFL... yeah, I know what you mean.

I went the Auto because I travel alone and my Van rig is miles too heavy to "muscle" onto the hitch IE it needs to be all but spot on with the others styles.

People with lighter rigs or 'helpers' don't have the same issues as it usually means either easy peasy or divorce court...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have the articulated 50mm ball design.. When you have more than one tow vehicle, it's great. And any one can tow it.

http://www.trailerwarehouse.com.au/c...Body%20(3).JPG
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 Times in 3,112 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    We have the articulated 50mm ball design.. When you have more than one tow vehicle, it's great. And any one can tow it.

http://www.trailerwarehouse.com.au/c...Body%20(3).JPG
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that they have a very limited tow ball weight. Like not even 100kg ' s. .
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that they have a very limited tow ball weight. Like not even 100kg ' s. .
    Bit strange (read useless) but you could be right for some manuf.
    Hyland make different rated versions certainly so they should be OK.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2015), katwoman (27th October 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When I first started looking at these "off road " hitches, one trailer place said why.
    You're not towing up Billy Goat and a 50mm ball will have all the articulation you will need 4x4ing.
    With the O'Brien I'm happy and only a one man job to hook up. Just a smear of silicon grease every
    now and then and a few pumps of the grease gun, Probable would be better with two tapered bearings
    but works a treat and for $150 very affordable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

12. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    I have a trig and a treg on camper and trailer. Work really well apart from hitching on un even ground. Then its a pita. I have bought a McHitch adapter for it and I think it will be easier as I can lower the unit on the pin like a toe ball. First outing with it this weekend coming up. I would not bother with the poly blocks now. Get something more modern.
    Tested out on s trip during the long weekend. So easy compared to trig/treg. Was on uneven ground and easily hooked up by my self. Camper was on a slope so car came in at an angle that would have given problems without the mchitch.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

threedogs (27th October 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got an orac coupling myself & its held up great for more then 10 years! On my next trailer I'm having a d035 fitted. Can't say much for the others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123