User Tag List

Thread: VW Emissions scandal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VW Emissions scandal

What does everyone think about the VW emissions scandal? Pretty cynical of them to cheat like that. I think there will be far reaching consequences for diesels after this. Out of the 3 cars tested the two VW's both failed. The BMW passed as it used a AdBlue system and DPF. No EGR as far as I know.

The regulators are now planning to change the way they test and this could mean the end for a lot of diesels. We know manufacturers tune their cars to pass the test (VW didn't even try) but will they pass in the real world under varying conditions? Most manufacturers rely on the dud technology of EGR and detuning the engines to meet emissions targets. This may no longer be enough and it causes us no end to reliability issues.

Do you think we are on the verge of manufacturers making powerful and clean diesels with new technology or is it the end of diesel in passenger cars (similar to the US)? What's everyone's opinion?
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Emission laws and systems are crap. My field is predominantly diesel and its really a false economy. The materials used for things like dpf's and aftertreatment systems are quite bad for the environment.

Interestingly a little while ago toyota was fined quite substantially because they knew of a safety problem with one of their models but kept it hidden. They did recieve the apparent fines that vw will apparently recieve simply for passing an emissions test in those parameters.

No doubt other manufacturers will be caught up in this as well.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 26th September 2015 at 11:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (27th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Emission laws and systems are crap. My field is predominantly diesel and its really a false economy. The materials used for things like dpf's and aftertreatment systems are quite bad for the environment.

No doubt other manufacturers will be caught up in this as well.
    It all depends on how Europe reacts to this. They heavily subsidised diesel so that most cars, even "light" cars are now diesel and their air quality is getting pretty bad. If its found that other companies cheated or that most new cars don't really meet standards outside of the lab then there might be a reaction. Reading a lot of articles most people complain about the air quality in some cities but are told its the older cars causing the problems. Once the new "clean diesels" replace them things will be fine, but if most new ones aren't really all that clean they may tighten up laws like the US. What they do we eventually follow.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer the 6.5 litre Chevy pollution management system.
    Reduces pollutants by 50% or more using a very simple method
    They use so much fuel that, 1/2 the time, most people can't afford to run them.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (27th September 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (27th September 2015), Rock Trol (27th September 2015), Winnie (27th September 2015)