OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: well im confused now - to nads or not to nads, that is the question ....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well im confused now - to nads or not to nads, that is the question ....

Ok - so i know some will say use the search - but i have.
    And once you read my post below I am sure some will say yes, and some will say no - this is the problem with the internet i guess ....

Ive spent the last 2 weeks reading this entire site, and a few other forums, plus just about every link on google

So to be clear, I am not a newbie to patrols.

I previously had a 2004GUIV from new, and at that time read all the stuff, fitted gauges, valves, IC fan, Catch can, bigger exhaust and dump pipe - but still had a grenade go off 18 months in.
    To their credit, Nissan came to the party and gave me a new engine, but alas, i got nervous, and dumped the car and jumped fence for a while - went to the dark side

Well, life goes around, been working away, had a company car (200 series V8 - and sorry but i miss it a bit), changed jobs, now had to buy my own ride again.
    Had an interim ride (landrover discovery - what a mistake) and wanting a real truck again, my budget told me i had to go with the patrol, as a cruiser is just way over my budget

So, picked up a second hand (2011) CRD, 70 clicks on it - tidy car and in good mechanical cond -one owner, country miles, few stone ships and lots of bulldust in the all tight places, but no rust.

I struggled with the decision, but figure by previous experience was a one off for me, and Nissan must have the CRD right by now.

So, here is my dilemma ...

Finances as they are, i need this rig to last me a good 5-7 years.
    So, I'm willing to do what i need to proof the car as best I can, but ... as I said at the outset, Ive done all the reading, and I am confused.

1. Catch can - understand the pros - but read the stories of pressure causing oil leaks - so do i just run a vented can, or go the pro-vent and plumb it back in - I am willing to take the best option, but so many conflicting reports - im leaning towards a can that's vented.

2. Block EGR - on the CRD they say you get an engine light if you fully block it, so run one with a hole in it, but I just think that defeats the purpose - i also read that ERG means it burns cooler as the oxygen is out of the incoming gas - so you can run hotter whit the EGR blocked - i dont want to continually be clearing codes, but i see the benefits of blocking.

3. Upgrade inter cooler - well mines showing signs of a leak at 70ks already - fine but so many options - i go go the full hog, my finances are limited to doing the other mods - $350 options on ebay, many say you get what you pay for, but others who have bought say they have no issues.

4. Inter cooler fan - some say mount on top - some say mount below - some say its of no benefit at high speed, some say it makes FA difference - i drive around 500km a week back and forth to work, some windy roads, but mostly between 70 and 90kmh - so I am thinking it would be of benefit

5. Dawes valve and needle adjustment - i get you can control boost, and get some high boost going - im not looking for more power - just want to grenade proof - is it necessary? - other say not on the CRD as the over boost issue is gone on these as its controlled by the ECU? So many conflicting version on the net about this. if i dont need it, id rather not, but again, if it held with long term i will do it.

6. Upgrade exhaust - some say 3 inch -some say 2.5 inch - some say remove the cat and just put a straight through dump - again i don't need performance, just want to ensure i get reliability - some say you need to do it for lower EGTs, and some not. - I am seriously confused on this one and don't know who to believe

7. Gauges - most say you must put these on - well i had them on my first grenade and they made Sweet FA difference - i had no notice of the bang coming. So I am struggling to see the point.

as i said at the outset ive done all the research - but I am more confused than when i set out to find out what i needed.

I realize, just posted this will again give many different opinions and probably not solve my dilemma.

So, i must now have been alone with this - others here too must have seen the conflicts - so how did you decided what options to take?
    Current - 2011 GUVII 3.0 CRD
    Previous - 2004 GUIV 3.0DI "The Grenade" Literally ...
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (26th September 2015), Stevelb21 (27th September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being a CRD I don't see why you would "have" to do anything to it.
    Catch can if you want to. I have a non vented CC but not a Provent brand.
    Blocking the EGR will decrease the amount of carbon build up and I believe the CRD does need a hole in it to prevent limp mode. Again you don't "have to" on CRD.
    I have replaced my intercooler with a fully welded one when it started leaking. Same specs as original, not larger or better flow.
    It is not necessary to have an intercooler fan for normal driving
    You don't need to grenade proof a CRD.
    You don't "have" to upgrade your exhaust.
    If you don't have dawes valve and needle adjustments, you don't "need" gauges.
    On that year CRD motor you don't "have" to do anything, but if you start you need to follow through. That is if you start with adjustable needle valves and dawes valves you need the gauges to know what you are doing. Also with larger exhausts you "may" upset things and go into limp mode.
    Yes I know - not very helpful. I have no NADS on mine yest and have over 200K km on it no troubles and it is not a CRD,
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

jack180 (26th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My CRD had 150,000 odd K's when I sold it... It also had full instrumentation and I love to tinker and experiment
    First thing to get is a Scangauge or equivalent and an EGT gauge that way you know within about 10 degrees and 1/10th of a litre per 100 K's what is happening
    Next, Anti-grenading is not req'd so mods are for performance only.
    I/C fan, makes a difference on a stock I/C up to about 50 KPH... after that useless (works best as a puller)... took mine off after I stopped dicking around on sand etc
    Chip and exhaust give measurable extra power
    EGR block - block it fully and use the Scangauge to clear any codes... if you block EGR you may need to adjust the VNT
    CRD's run hotter, boost higher and love to rev so get used to giving them a bit of welly to get up to cruise on the bitumen then back off.
    Dawes? well, I went as far as buying one but sold it as my truck went gangbusters without one

Bottom line is they drive different to the Di's so just sit back and enjoy the fun
    Last edited by the evil twin; 26th September 2015 at 01:03 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Dave_H (26th September 2015), Hodge (26th September 2015), jack180 (26th September 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
    To their credit, Nissan came to the party and gave me a new engine, but alas, i got nervous, and dumped the car and jumped fence for a while - went to the dark side
    Wow. I'm so surprised to hear a good Nissan dealer story ... Good on them.

Anyways
    Evil Twin summed it up perfectly.
    I'll just add the following...
    I held off for ages on any NADS on my CRD, because I was reading that CRDs "don't need it", and Nissan has finally fixed the grenading on the CRD's. I call bullshit on all of those.
    I finally bit the bullet and got some gauges. It was shock and horror when I saw the factory EGT temps. But they are supposedly normal, as evil twin said, CRD's run hotter, I don't know why. And the boost, well the factory boost control is just shit-house. It's a just a boost yoyo, up and down, and there seemed no explanation as to why it does it...
    So NADs train began. Blocked the EGR, and the EGT temps dropped by about 50 on average, especially cruising. Then I got the needle and dawes valve fitted, and that fixed the whole boost yoyo thing. The boost had an awesome linear curve and the car just behaved so much more better. This also dropped EGTs a whole lot more all around. Then the factory prone to leaking, IC, finally leaked..... And that was replaced by a tig welded unit, and dropped some temps again. Catch can was added later on too.
    At the end I had a car that behaved and felt so much more better. Lower EGT's, very nice stable boost, oil stayed cleaner longer...due to EGR blank.
    Really IMO, it's a no brainer.

Edit: Also added the chip & exhaust, which also gave the car a new meaning again,
    Last edited by Hodge; 26th September 2015 at 08:09 AM.
    2005 TD42TI

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

jack180 (26th September 2015), Stevelb21 (27th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you read all of Chaz Yellowfoots comments on the ZD30 and nads the last line I think says it
    may or maynot save your motor but it will allow you to shut it down early avoiding expensive
    repairs.
    As for the IC fan unlesss you do a lot of sand driving I really dont think they are required.
    Fitting gauges allows you to "see" whats happening under the bonnet
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Fantus001 (9th June 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2003 ZD30 and I have found that it a goo way of knowing what is going on, that way if something is wrong it makes it easier to locate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jack and welcome back to Patrols. The CRD motor has a totally different fuel management system and they don't fail at the rate of the Di's. They have the same failure rates as other companies diesels (have mate in RAA).
    First thing is to get tig welded inter cooler. Don't put that off. If you plan to remap ecu or chip it etc then go an upgraded ic but if happy to keep fairly stock then standard size is fine.

Next is the the scangauge as it reads faults and clears them as well as giving you engine info such as MAP, water temp, fuel usage, alternator output etc. let's you see what the engine sees. For $200 it's worth it. Just the engine water temp it displays can save the engine as it is almost instant and can show you what the engine is doing.

Then if if you want you can try a egr block. Scangauge will tell you if it's over boosting. If you keep the standard exhaust then should be fine. If bigger exhaust and egr block then over boosting for sure.

Cleaning the intake manifold of gunk is also important. Recently had Wynns egr cleaner put through the old girl and WOW! What a difference. Plan to use it next service until I don't see any more improvement. If you don't block egr then this might be a good regular service item to keep the intake manifold clear. Not as good as removing and cleaning by hand but I have to say the engine breathing improved dramatically with one can.

in my opinion either just do the few mods above as the CRD is a much different engine to the Di or go the whole hog. Not much middle ground. I opted for everything and while its cost me around the $5000 mark in engine mods it really has improved the performance.

Also so as to CRD being hotter. The ecu adds extra fuel at the end of the combustion cycle to promote the cat cleaning the exhaust emissions so if you have e g t gauge you will be shocked by temps. Up to 700 or 800 when towing up hill if not careful. They are the reports from some users. It's designed to do this.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Dave_H (26th September 2015), jack180 (26th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Hi Jack and welcome back to Patrols. The CRD motor has a totally different fuel management system and they don't fail at the rate of the Di's. They have the same failure rates as other companies diesels (have mate in RAA).
    First thing is to get tig welded inter cooler. Don't put that off. If you plan to remap ecu or chip it etc then go an upgraded ic but if happy to keep fairly stock then standard size is fine.

Next is the the scangauge as it reads faults and clears them as well as giving you engine info such as MAP, water temp, fuel usage, alternator output etc. let's you see what the engine sees. For $200 it's worth it. Just the engine water temp it displays can save the engine as it is almost instant and can show you what the engine is doing.

Then if if you want you can try a egr block. Scangauge will tell you if it's over boosting. If you keep the standard exhaust then should be fine. If bigger exhaust and egr block then over boosting for sure.

Cleaning the intake manifold of gunk is also important. Recently had Wynns egr cleaner put through the old girl and WOW! What a difference. Plan to use it next service until I don't see any more improvement. If you don't block egr then this might be a good regular service item to keep the intake manifold clear. Not as good as removing and cleaning by hand but I have to say the engine breathing improved dramatically with one can.

in my opinion either just do the few mods above as the CRD is a much different engine to the Di or go the whole hog. Not much middle ground. I opted for everything and while its cost me around the $5000 mark in engine mods it really has improved the performance.

Also so as to CRD being hotter. The ecu adds extra fuel at the end of the combustion cycle to promote the cat cleaning the exhaust emissions so if you have e g t gauge you will be shocked by temps. Up to 700 or 800 when towing up hill if not careful. They are the reports from some users. It's designed to do this.
    thanks for the info - did the search on the wynns EGR cleaner -just managed to buy a couple of bottles on eby from the UK - so will give that a go when it arrives in a week or so.
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the comments.

I bit the bullet today and bought a catch can - put a baffle in it and filled it with steel wool.
    Its not a provent like every says to get - but i had similar on my last patrol and found it worked great.

Ive also ordered a new inter cooler off ebay as mine is leaking at the corners
    Ordered 2 cans of the Wynns EGR cleaner, and purchased the EGR blocking plate.
    Still debating about the IC fan, but thinking if I am installing a new IC i might as well go the whole hog and fit a fan underneath.

I already have an http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ - its like a scan Gage, will tell me boost and clear codes.

I'm hesitant about the Exhaust temp gauge - had one on my last patrol and really felt like ti was a nice look - yep you can watch the temps, but i didn't find it supplied me any info that i used - i know these things run high temps so not 100% convinced seeing it will make any difference.

I'm figuring with the egr blocked, a catch can and a better more efficient Inter cooler i should be covered.

I'm not a heavy duty offroader - and don't tow, so really just want a reliable car to last me for a while.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you plan to modify the engine a lot for more power then the EGT gauge is probably not needed. The CRD system will actually cut fuel if it detects that the engine is getting too hot or pinging. If the gauge you have tells you boost and water temp then its good enough.

The Wynn's stuff is hard to get here in Australia. They sell only through the trade. When it arrives be careful not to over do the doses. One second bursts and then let engine settle down again. 1500-2000 rpm etc. Some of the You tube videos show how to do it.
    I had my EGR valve blocked for 18 months with the standard exhaust and it was fine. A little more boost (around 18 psi) but that's fine. When I had the 3 inch exhaust though it all changed and I needed a Dawes valve.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 26th September 2015 at 11:17 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

jack180 (26th September 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast