Thread: Ravensthorpe 2015

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ravensthorpe 2015

Each year Ravensthorp WA hold a wildflower show including several wildflower walks and 4WD tag a long tours, one being through the Fitzgerald River National Park. We went on one tour last year and from that were asked if we would assist with this years tours. To be fair, although they are 4WD tours, the 4WD s only required for the clearance and most of the driving is on graded gravel roads. The tour leader is the local volunteer State Emergency Services officer and vehicle and the tail end Charlie position is usually a ranger or local with a good knowledge of the area. As most participants are tourists and many of the vehicles are soft roaders and part time 4WDers the organisers like to have one or more experienced 4WD driver and vehicles in the convoy mix. Participants are given hand held VHF portables and some rudimentary convoy instruction and away we go. It’s a bit like herding cats.

Tour one 2015.
    A small convoy starting from Hopetoun and working our way through the back roads and tracks to the Jerdacuttup Lakes, Bar B Cue lunch at Starvation Bay, returning to the Hopetoun/Ravensthorpe road via Jerdacuttup Road.

Heading out

Along the track

Lunch stop at Starvation Bay

Cooking snags for the tour.

Toilet humour from Starvation Bay
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th September 2015), Clunk (23rd September 2015), katwoman (22nd October 2015), Onkey (24th September 2015), Woof (24th September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good mate
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tour two 2015
    A convoy of ten cars left Hopetoun and travelled through the Fitzgerald River National Park. Because there had been a lot of rain in the area over the preceding day, we were prevented from driving on the dirt roads, because mud is one of the main spreaders of dieback. This made for a short on road tour of the park which was very interesting, but not challenging. We then moved back to the Hopetoun/Ravensthorp road and turned down John Forrest road to skirt the park and join up with Road 11 back to Kundip. This was more interesting with some rougher track and a couple of creek crossings (they were almost dry). A sausage sizzle lunch in the woodlands made it a great day out.

Fitzgerald River National Park

Fitzgerald River National Park

Lunch stop

Road 11

Qualup Bell
    Last edited by 4bye4; 23rd September 2015 at 05:05 PM.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th September 2015), Clunk (23rd September 2015), Hodge (23rd September 2015), katwoman (22nd October 2015), Onkey (24th September 2015), Woof (24th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im just wondering,

is there a limit of cars
    is it only during the wildflower season (hay fever allergy)
    or
    do they run the Tag - alongs by request?
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    Im just wondering,

is there a limit of cars
    is it only during the wildflower season (hay fever allergy)
    or
    do they run the Tag - alongs by request?
    Answers in reverse order Col
    Tag a longs are run during the Ravensthorp Wildflower Show which is around the second week of September each year.
    See above answer - during the wildflower season only.
    There has been no limit to the cars - but there will be next year. They will be limited to ten cars each trip as this year it got a bit hairy. You have to remember that a lot of these peeps have never been in a convoy, have never used a radio and most probably don't know what the extra gear stick is for. We have to look after them and try to give them a good adventure. There is often a car or more of "botanists and artists" who speak a foreign language and go oh and ah a lot. They sometimes need extra care so that they don't drive over a cliff whilst admiring a flower or insect.
    Really it damm good fun though and as you can see with me helping to cook the barbi, when you put your club shirt and hat on you are held in high regard. All jokes aside, the flowers are bloody great. I,ll post some more later when I get a chance. Take some hay fever pills and come along next year.
    Google Ravensthorp wildflower show - its one of the biggest in the world.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to take the wife there when we go on our big lap in 5 years time. thanks for the post.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blocko05 View Post
    I would like to take the wife there when we go on our big lap in 5 years time. thanks for the post.
    She will love it mate. They have flowers shows and quilting and all sorts of stuff for the ladies while we stand around in the carpark and compare lifts and good stuff like that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (26th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tour Three 2015
    Twelve cars started out from Ravensthorp with us in the middle again. Interesting to watch the smaller Honda CRV and a large Apollo motor home once we left the road and headed into the Ravensthorp ranges. The track was still fairly easy but some rocky capstone gave the Honda a bit of fun and some off camber gravel created memories for the motor home driver. Again the idea of a convoy was lost on some who passed others if they were travelling too slowly. At one steep descent we stopped and instructed all drivers to wait at the top until the car in front called them through. The first car was called through by the leader and set off down the hill and was immediately followed by the next three who charged down after him. Anyway we all made it through with no mishaps. After lunch we all headed off on what was the best part of the trip for me. The leader (SES ) was called away and he decide to appoint me leader as I had driven the track last year. So with no track notes and a 12 month old and fairly vague memory we all set off toward the setting sun. As luck would have it the SES came back on the radio just at the end of the trip and was able to guide me through the last bit of bush to the road.

And away we go

In to th bush

Along the ridge

Mallee fowl mound

Lunch

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...pshws8rzya.jpg

I'm the leader of the pack I am - but where are we going?

All accounted for
    Last edited by 4bye4; 1st October 2015 at 02:13 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

katwoman (22nd October 2015), Stropp (2nd October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While we were in Ravensthorp we were told of a "Bat Cave" in the hills, but know one seemed to know exactly where it was. We spoke to some old timers from the town and putting together five or so descriptions decided to go and search.
    We drove a bit;

Then walked a bit;

And eventually found an old mine;

Which we entered;

And eventually found a bat.

Sorry about the picture quality but I was shooting blind literally. You would be surprised how far into the hill we were and how bloody dark it was in there.
    Last edited by 4bye4; 22nd October 2015 at 10:35 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

graeme1969 (22nd October 2015), katwoman (22nd October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the way to the Bat Cave.