Thread: Automatia's GQ TD42 The Black Pearl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatia's GQ TD42 The Black Pearl

Aaaarrgghh,

I'd like to introduce you to The Black Pearl, the name a result of my pirate themed 21st a few weeks back, the day after I picked her up.
    Aptly named in my opinion, a crisp black and silver, she floats along the road like a boat and the antenna is perfect for hoisting and lowering the colours.

I picked her up for $7300 at 127000 km's, half of which were done in the last five years, prior to that she has spent nearly her entire life garaged.

A few minor scratches in the paintwork mostly around the locks where it looks like somebody had a bit too much to drink and couldn't get the keys in the hole. Other than that she's good to go. My uncle who has been a diesel mechanic for 20 years took a look and reckoned she hasn't ever been offroad, and is pretty much stock as a rock apart from some sidesteps, lights and a sun visor.

I've got plenty planned for her, but first up is a roof rack and front ladder rack so I can port around my hang glider, then I'll be looking at a 2 inch lift and some 33's.
    Could take a little while as I'm a student, but I'm in no hurry.

Here are some photos to kick it all off, I'll try and put one up every now and then of trips I head off on and one for every mod I do.

Cheers,
    Auto

gq1.jpg gq2.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Automatia For This Useful Post:

AB (18th September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a good buy with those kms mate, well done, looks very neat!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers AB, loved your build-up thread, plenty to aspire to.

I know this might seem weird to have put as a separate post when it is on the same day, but I've been waiting a few weeks for this, so it's just to keep things ordered in my head.

Today my roof rack arrived, which is the first tick off the checklist, and I can finally go flying again. It has been a little while since I have been able to cart the glider around since getting rid of the old car and i've been getting anxious to get out for a flight. Unfortunately after a fantastic week the weather has closed in for the weekend in Sydney so it's looking doubtful.

In addition to the roof rack, I've got a 2x2.5m awning courtesy of the aldi 4wd sale, along with an air compressor which from the reviews i've read is quite good, although i'm yet to test it out.

Here are the photos as we stand with rack and awning on.

gq3.jpg gq4.jpg gq5.jpg
    Last edited by Automatia; 18th September 2015 at 09:47 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Automatia For This Useful Post:

AB (18th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome mate, so clean! Such low kms too, what an awesome car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds anal but think about getting rid of the sun visor if you plan on touring a lot.

I remember reading on here about a significant improvement in fuel economy once removed.

Wind catchers!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've been thinking about it, it looks like my job as of the new year will involve jumping up and down the highway for an hour each way, so any economies would be appreciated. I'm also probably one of the few people that actually want to be looking at the sky, my plan is to install a uhf cb at some point so I can bring along my friends and dirk them with picking me up when i land in the middle of nowhere (I carry a hand held when i fly).

On the other hand it's bolted into the pillars so I'm not too keen on how two gaping holes either side will look if I take it off.

Also, bit of egg on face for the previous post. I just said the weather had closed in and posted photos of this afternoon which was one of the warmest, sunny days in recent memory. In my defence last night I spent my entire evening digging ice out of people's gutters in the rain and it's forecasted to turn back to shit as of tomorrow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Automatia For This Useful Post:

AB (18th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming it's naturally aspirated, doesn't have a turbo?

After a year or so you may get tired of the sluggish performance of a td42 na but you really did score a good buy mate, reliable engine with very low kms!

If you can work towards saving $1000 that should be enough to put on a ht18 turbo from the gu td42 and you will never look back on how much better your gq performs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaarrgghh, she be a nice one then Laddy

couldnt resist, sorry

nice looking rig mate
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats right, I've been dreaming of it ever since the first day when I drove it up a hill on the way home AB! I've got until early next year to get it done because my good mate that's a mechanic (read: do it all for free) is moving away. I had no idea it could be done for that little though, I was expecting in the 3-4k range.

Cheers Big Col
    Last edited by Automatia; 18th September 2015 at 07:27 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Automatia For This Useful Post:

AB (18th September 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic score you made there. A turbo will transform the old girl. I went from causing traffic and struggling to keep up on hills to keeping up and occasionally overtaking. I no longer have to drop down to third for the hills here in tassie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast