Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the new money pit

Hey all.

How's it going, it's a bit wet in my area so I have some free time to post.

So I've been looking for a tourer for a long time, something cheap and we all know cheap isn't always the greatest.
    Well finally after looking at about 6 patrols over the last 2 months I finally picked up this old 1988 Nissan safari. It's got the best looking chassis I have seen.
    The others had some issues that I couldn't be bothered dealing with, this has it's own basket of problems and it will require attention sooner than later.

It has body rust, and I find more and more every day but it's still in a fixable state. ( I think)

Anyway I bought her for 4k, she has 212k on the clock and is a N/A TD4.2, It drives really nice even with all the crap wrong with it (The running gear and the chassis are pretty sweet!)

There is an issue with the clutch at the moment, it works fine for about 10 - 15 minutes, but after that it will stop engaging. When the car is off and you pump the clutch it gets harder after about 3 pumps,
    and the breaks seam to be un assisted at the moment so I'm thinking it is the vacuum pump or something to do with it. It doesn't help that the clutch booster is corroded with rust also, so I'll be checking another booster out tomorrow.

There is significant rust in the back wheel arches/body and in the front wheel arches and front body mount/radiator support rail.
    The last owner bought it at 85k and used it to tow horses, and then bought a pajero 3 years ago and must of left the patrol sit under a tree.

I was thinking of wire brushing off all the rust, stripping the interior and some of the engine components and treating it with Inox or something, and then once it's clean pay someone to weld in new metal into all the holes, but I have no idea how much something like that costs, I guess I could just learn to weld better myself if it's too expensive.
    I'm not too sure if I should concentrate on the clutch or the rust first?

I can get the rego changed into my name if I bog up some of these holes and go somewhere a bit lenient. I have no intention of driving the vehicle apart from to and from the mechanics and body shop when I can afford it.
    I will try to do as much of it myself at first too, just to try keep costs low. But i'm not too sure if it is worth the trouble of changing the rego over or just letting it run out. I would prefer the car in my name but I have a receipt so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Is the rust too much, I will take more pictures on the weekend.

What do you good folk think?

Here's are some pictures.... Ok so the file manager isn't liking me tonight, here is an imgur link for a temporary fix until I work out the upload/file manager.

http://imgur.com/a/mFAod

88Safari

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 88safari For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (17th September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lil bit of tin worm to sort out

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you check the join where the footwell meets the firewall ? thats where i found some rust in my gq, looks like you clutch master is leaky or at least was leaking.
    with a bit of work it should come up a treat.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing that out garett I'll check it out on the weekend when I work on it, I'm thinking of taking off the bullbar and fixing the front bodymounts/bar thingy if the weather permits.
    I'll be picking up a booster and master tomorrow, I'll feel much better once a non rusty booster is in

Thanks growler, figure if I learn a bit more about welding it won't be too bad. I hope haha

If I get to all the rust in the next 12 months I think the body should be fairly salvageable.. but people tell me I'm crazy

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have some more pictures of the tin worm from the rear drivers side rear arch. I've never really welded too much before but I will give it a good crack before I pay a panel beater to do it.
    What welder would be recommended for auto welding. I was leaning towards a gas/gasless mig/arc combo welder, but I'm not too sure what spools or electrodes I should be aiming for.

Is there a special trick to getting the upload manager to work?
    Here is another imgur link
    http://imgur.com/a/vTBsA
    88safari

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 88safari View Post
    Is there a special trick to getting the upload manager to work?
    No special trick, have you viewed the help section of the forum?

What are you viewing the forum on, PC / mobile?
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.