Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY TD42 Cooling System Overhaul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmccormick View Post
    Been meaning to update this thread with a few figures seen after overhaul of cooling system. Just come back from several weeks camping around North Kimberley so been a little late to do this.

The temperatures up here are ridiculous atm, 40 degrees and humid etc. Car was fully loaded, few items on roof rack including spare wheel etc. Hard conditions for any cooling system.
    In my rig I have an in hose temp gauge fitted post thermostat, and an engine watchdog (sensor bolted to side of engine block). So I will give readings for these plus Nissan factory gauge position.

At low speeds, town driving and 4WD high range dirt:
    Hose: 70 ish degrees
    Nissan: 1/4 - 1/3
    Watchdog: 80-90 degrees

On highway, 90-100k's an hour, middle of the day with air-con on
    Hose: 80-86 degrees
    Nissan: 1/2 - just below 3/4
    Watchdog: 95-100 degrees

In cooler conditions early morning etc the car runs cooler.

I'm keen to hear how other peoples figures line up next to this, I feel like its running a little hot? But it could just be in my head and the fact that ambient temperatures are through the roof. If I start to push my speeds more than 90-100k's in the heat the gauges creep up instantly so I just tinker along at lower speeds. Then every now and again other GQ's also loaded up to the max go screaming past me with apparently no dramas whatsoever so am I just going mad with too many things to watch over haha?
    Today cruising back from Mildura fairly warm ambient temp driving at 110-120km/h my temps got to 105 with probe in top thermostat housing. If i dropped speed to 100km/h temp would be around 100 degrees or just under. Normally around town sits around the 80 mark +- 10 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Today cruising back from Mildura fairly warm ambient temp driving at 110-120km/h my temps got to 105 with probe in top thermostat housing. If i dropped speed to 100km/h temp would be around 100 degrees or just under. Normally around town sits around the 80 mark +- 10 degrees.

Cheers Sooty! You running a TD42 in your GU? Where does your factory gauge sit when temp is at 100ish out of interest?
    GQ Patrol, TD42 NA, 33's, Snorkel, 2" inch lift, Dual Batteries, Roof Rack, Awning... Many more to come

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might be doing this shortly my self as who knows when the last time coolant was changed on my 42.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

ashmccormick (26th October 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up ashmccormick! Super helpful to blokes like me still learning. Top effort

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmccormick View Post
    Cheers Sooty! You running a TD42 in your GU? Where does your factory gauge sit when temp is at 100ish out of interest?
    Yeah factory TD42T mate, non intercooled. Factory guage s sitting up 2/3 ish when around 100, but sits up 3/4 when around 105. Sits there quite stable and doesn't climb excessively quick. That was with the AC running too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patasaurus View Post
    Nice write up ashmccormick! Super helpful to blokes like me still learning. Top effort
    Cheers mate! Thats what I was hoping to achieve as some of the 'easier' stuff tends to be covered in no detail which is daunting when youre having a first crack at something.
    GQ Patrol, TD42 NA, 33's, Snorkel, 2" inch lift, Dual Batteries, Roof Rack, Awning... Many more to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Yeah factory TD42T mate, non intercooled. Factory guage s sitting up 2/3 ish when around 100, but sits up 3/4 when around 105. Sits there quite stable and doesn't climb excessively quick. That was with the AC running too.

Thanks for the info matey. Good to know my temps seem to be around the same as yours. Just need the turbo now haha!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but Wicked write up ashmccormick!
    Just doing an overhaul on my TD42T at the moment and was wondering what the go with the engine coolant sump is when putting it back in?
    Is it based on a torque setting? And if so what torque? Don't have the service manual so im not sure and when i went to take it out originally i could still see thread on the outer of the bolt; if that makes sense.
    TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd, are you referring to the engine coolant drain plug?
    It will have thread showing because it's a tapered thread that you can't screw right in.
    I use a short stubby rachet to tighten mine with one hand after putting some RTV silicone on the thread.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Todd, are you referring to the engine coolant drain plug?
    It will have thread showing because it's a tapered thread that you can't screw right in.
    I use a short stubby rachet to tighten mine with one hand after putting some RTV silicone on the thread.
    Hey jff45!
    Yer i was referring to the engine coolant drain plug. Ahh ok, so basically just make sure its in tight enough to create a seal - doesn't need to be torque specific.
    Thanks for your help mate, appreciate it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast