Thread: DIY TD42 Cooling System Overhaul

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 512 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen: The utterly badly located block drain plug is giving me a hard time. Every comment I see about undoing it seems to be for a GU, where you remove a rubber plate from the passenger's wheel well and you have straight line of sight to the plug, and from there you go with the 12 mm socket plus extension plus breaker bar. On the GQ, or at least in mine, there is no such rubber covered opening, it is sheet metal, so I cannot have a straight line of sight. I have tried to include a wobbly connector on that combination, but didn't have the proper way of applying "gentle force" with it.

Any suggestions on how to remove this without using a hole saw on the wheel well for proper line of sight?

Would a garden hose on the engine port that receives water back from the heater core, with the engine off, would be enough for water to come out on the other engine port towards the heater core and such be able to circulate the old water out? Not sure if the cold termostat of the non-running engine would block that water circuit?

Also, any other way I could do a flush and get rid of the in-block water? I've been thinking about using compressed air but not sure if that would break any seal.
    Last edited by BrazilianY60; 21st August 2023 at 02:12 PM.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper