OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What did you spend on your LPG installation?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2nd hand system less than $800

1 16.67%
  • $800 to $1500

1 16.67%
  • $1500 to $2000

1 16.67%
  • $2000 to $3000

2 33.33%
  • $3000 to $3500

0 0%
  • $3500+

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much did you spend to get LPG installed?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much did you spend to get LPG installed?

And did you get a government grant to do so?
    I'm curious to see what the spending has been like and what the experiences are, some spend $2500 and some up to $4000+
    Did you use a 2nd hand system and do a DIY job or did you get it from a recognized LPG "shop"
    What year/type of Patrol do you drive?
    And did you get a government grant to install your system or without and why?

Oh, and what state/city do you live in?

Needless to say people who bought theirs with LPG installed don't need to vote...
    Last edited by Ted; 3rd April 2011 at 01:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1, If you want it to be reliable don't use second hand parts.

2, Fitting LPG is NOT a DIY job. Strict regulations apply to the fitting of LPG systems and must be done by suitably qualified techs.

3, The cost of the system depends mainly on the quality and technology of the system being installed. If you have a carby petrol vehicle then you can get away with the cheaper "carby" type LPG systems but you still want quality components and fitting for reliabillty. If your car is EFI then it's worth paying a bit more for an LPG injection system. LPG injection gives much more precise fuel control, virtually eliminates the possibillity of backfiring and allows rev limiters and traction control (where fitted-not talking Patrols here) to operate normally.

There are now 2 types of LPG injection systems vapour injection and liquid injection. Vapour sequential injection will see only about a 5% drop in power when you switch from petrol to gas. The more expensive liquid sequential injection will actually increase power by 2 or 3% when running on gas. They do this by injecting liquid LPG into the intake port where it evaporates to a vapour causing an intercooling type effect, latant heat of evaporation I think it's called.

Patrols do cost a bit more to convert than most as in most cases it requires the fitting of a sub fuel tank for Petrol. Most people opt to put the LPG tank where the standard fuel tank was fitted hence the need for a new petrol tank.

I live in QLD and in my previous job was a qualified LPG fitter/repairer. I fitted Parnell vapour sequential injection systems to my '94 EFI Patrol (since sold the car) and my wifes BA Falcon wagon which we still have. We were able to claim the government rebate ($2000 per vehicle at the time) for both vehicles. Doing the labour myself meant both systems owed us very little after rebate.

Tony

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (3rd April 2011), Ted (3rd April 2011), twisty (9th April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tony - if I went the LS1 and decided to put gas on it, would it be eligible for the rebate?? I was of the opinion that it was one off, against the vehicle (not the engine), but if I could get the rebate, I'd consider having gas put on again (new system of course).

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Hey Tony - if I went the LS1 and decided to put gas on it, would it be eligible for the rebate?? I was of the opinion that it was one off, against the vehicle (not the engine), but if I could get the rebate, I'd consider having gas put on again (new system of course).
    That depends on whether or not the rebate has ever been claimed for that vehicle. If it's never been claimed then it's yours for the taking. You could keep the tank and just replace the under bonnet components and gas line.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    That depends on whether or not the rebate has ever been claimed for that vehicle. If it's never been claimed then it's yours for the taking. You could keep the tank and just replace the under bonnet components and gas line.

Tony
    Hmmm - thanks mate - how does one find out these things?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Hmmm - thanks mate - how does one find out these things?
    I'm not exactly sure? Have a look at your rego papers, is it registered as dual fuel or LPG?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not exactly sure? Have a look at your rego papers, is it registered as dual fuel or LPG?

Tony
    Will do boss!!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check on the gas compliance plate for the installation date. If it predates the rebate scheme (you'll need to research when that started) then you should be OK. A bit of mucking around but worth it if it means you can get some of your hard earned money back from the government .

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check on the gas compliance plate for the installation date. If it predates the rebate scheme (you'll need to research when that started) then you should be OK. A bit of mucking around but worth it if it means you can get some of your hard earned money back from the government .

Tony
    Thanks mate!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Tony, very elaborate answer mate!
    What I've found out so far is that the rebate is $1500 until july when it drops down to $1250. I've had a quote for about $3800 so far which I find reasonably pricey (even with a $1500 "discount")
    So I was wondering what most have payed for theirs and what system they got for that money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast