Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto transmission failure 😡😡

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto transmission failure 😡😡

Anyone familiar with FNQ will know of the gillies range, short 19km hill climb (blacktop) out of cairns onto the Atherton tablelands.
    So unluckily for me this range has very minimal areas to pull off not that it matters when the transmission decides to take the coolant out of the radiator 😡😡.

Anyway I start the car in the morning and plug in my bran new "engine data scan" and away we go south out of cairns for 30kms until we hit the mountain, around the first bend and I am watching the ECT rise to about 93deg don't think much of it in fact I think it's not a to bad at all considering the 1800kg trailer I'm now towing up a mountain side. Couple more corners come and go and the temp is the same, all good right? Well not exactly. So the trusty patrol starts to lose all momentum, revs rise, it's this moment where I start to shit myself because I have a car right up the backside. Something grabs and the car shoots forward and gains some more altitude, another 50m, 100m, 250m. I start calming down thinking to myself that it was weird while reassuring the girlfriend all is good. OMFG happens again only this time the is no grab before the car is rolling backwards and mr tailgater gets a scared look lol. I pull the handbrake on jump out and walk around the car, and OH NO LHF wheel arch looks like someone tipped ice coffee over it. So luckily the road maintenance guys are just around the corner and hear the UHF call and come down and give me a tow around the corner a safer area. 2hrs later RACQ is there to put the patrol on the back of a truck

Now the car is still under extended warranty so the mechanics stripping the car to give a detailed list to the insurer. Only problem is I'm not to sure what he should be doing but to me I would think he would have to pull the transmission out to check it but from speaking to him it doesn't sound like that's what their doing. They are a very highly recommended 4x4 service centre up here so I would like to believe their doing the right thing.

Anyone have any suggestions on what they should be checking?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not good mate. I also hav3 an auto so please keep posted what the outcome and reason is. Sorry I can't help with any ideas though. Is the oil in the front wheel arch from trans fluit through the breather?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appears to be from the breather yes. Also checked the dipstick and it was coated in some very milky ice coffee looking fluid.

Warwick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not an expert in transmission, but milky is classic water in the oil. If you noticed probs with the temp just before, I recon you have got radiator water into the transmission oil cooler and that has got into the trans. If you are lucky, fixing the radiator and a good flush or two of the trans might get it going. When this happens in the pumps we work on here, if the pump get contaminated and is stopped after a short time it doesn't get damaged. Its only when if the pump is kept running after the contamination that damage occurs.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trans needs to be removed and stripped down. Flushing it in situ might give the impression that it's Ok but it's destined to have a short service life.
    You mentioned it has already slipped badly so there's no way it can be fixed properly with a flush.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very common occurrence on late model Ford Falcons. Happened to a mates BA a few years back. Had to get transmission rebuilt. He also fitted external oil cooler and bypassed the one in the new radiator.
    Your insurance will have to pay for new radiator and transmission overhaul.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the coolant apparently makes the glue on the bands let go. yep i've bypassed so many ba/bf falcon coolers its not funny. external cooler is the way to go especially if your towing. you'd be lucky if that trans would work after a flush most likely needs replacing / overhaul.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you google search "ZF Milkshake" you will find a tonne of info with very similar symptoms to what you describe - not a good prognosis if it is!
    ALSO coming from a dealership Service Manager background double check your Extended Warranty - hopefully it is a genuine NISSAN policy, the aftermarket dealership added ones are not worth the paper they are written on.
    M@

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a chat with Allan's Auto's in Lyon's Street. He knows his stuff and would give you a good idea. He would be the one in Cairns where I would get any work done.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They need to be serviced every year according to my auto guy.
    he also advised not to manualize it being a daily driver,
    Hose didn't come off the cooler did it?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast