Thread: Catch tank sludge

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catch tank sludge

Just drained the catch tank on my 02 zd30.... Oil looked like it was from an old diff....
    However, at recent engine oil change, all looked good. Doesn't appear to be using water, maybe an occasional top up of the lower header tank every couple of thou

I am concerned, the question is should I be and what can I do to assist?

Pretty sure egr either needs blanking or cleaning out, I noticed a bit of oil around the turbo air inlet as part of my routine checks. Noticed a bit around the back of the intercooler on top of the motor.

Just changed coolant as I broke the top of the radiator with a 20ltr drum of oil...

426kkm should I just got monitor or what?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    an oily IC may mean its leaking, if you change oil the mighty ZD30 doesn't like to be over filled
    even by a little.
    You can test the IC yourself with a bike pump and a big bucket, just dry thoroughly[hair dryer]
    before re-installing
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cleaned mine too and same sludge all else is good

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there is oil on the IC then its leaking, for sure. The oil from the can is normal, the oil around the intake pipe at the turbo is o.k, amount depending, should be dry though. So id say the can isn't fitering properly. And the Egr needs to need blocked. Period.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best part of your post Milsomr is the 426k km on the clock. Original motor?
    Sounds like you need a new tig welded inter cooler and clean out intake manifold. The car will thank you. Block off erg if you get chance as well.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another consideration is the oil used . Some oils seem to be better / different when it comes to oil vapour residue than others . Now I use Caltex delo 400 and it is poor in my opinion in this regard but guys on here use penrite and reading between the lines it doesn't appear to be as bad . Be good to hear from others on the topic ?
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th September 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Another consideration is the oil used . Some oils seem to be better / different when it comes to oil vapour residue than others . Now I use Caltex delo 400 and it is poor in my opinion in this regard but guys on here use penrite and reading between the lines it doesn't appear to be as bad . Be good to hear from others on the topic ?
    Yep. I used delo400 for a while and the can always had more oil in than using Castrol.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have been xs oil? I'm using royal 5/30 c4 fully synth. Although I might go to 10/40 once the weather warms up a bit.
    Some white smoke on start up but clears once the first bit of heat gets into it.
    Been looking at the egr blanking, should I remove the system and clean it all out or just cap it and forget?
    And which side? The posts I've looked at suggest that the temp will go up, I'm a bit scared of playing with it. The last owner had the catch tank fitted because of low power. Been well maintained, done some long runs and towed a boat, been a work truck. I'll probably do 25k km a year in it as its my daily driver. Please advise, can't tell you about boost pressures and egt's I got no gauges (yet....)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mudski I was looking at what should have been the right egr plate on your eBay , can you confirm? And do you ship to the Eastern isles...

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milsomr View Post
    Hey mudski I was looking at what should have been the right egr plate on your eBay , can you confirm? And do you ship to the Eastern isles...
    Yeah mate its on the right hand side. I can post anywhere really but the cost of post would be more than the plate. Pull the gasket out, and make one with a piece of metal. It will take you an hour or two, rather than waiting a couple of weeks.