Thread: GU Turbo thingey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Turbo thingey

Hi all,

Now I’ve had the new bus (09 GU) a couple of months I’m starting to learn how to drive it. Bit of a change from a GQ TB42E auto to the 3L turbo manual. These gear change things catch me out every now and then . Been re-introduced to the bunny hop and had a few stalls here and there… Like I’m on my L plates all over again!

Just got a couple of Q’s regarding other ppls 3L’s out there…

Wondering on how early the turbo should spool up. I’m not feeling it come in until about 2500 rpm, and getting good boost at about 3k. This seems too high. Changing gear at 3k plus doesn’t seem right for a diesel. I thought these things were good for low end grunt without revving the t*ts off it !

I’ve got the NADS gear fitted. Haven’t played with anything there yet, but I feel some adjustment needs to happen. Freeway driving at 100km in 5th gear, EGT sits pretty stable at around 500 deg, with around 8-10psi boost. (with 4 adults, 2 small kids and 3 light suitcases on the roof rack). This seems high as well, reading other guys specs. The highest I saw it was just below 600deg, on an incline. Boost generally doesn’t go over about 15-16PSI. Low rev’s are just painful in any gear except first.

Can anyone offer any opinion on whether that’s all normal. Am I expecting too much from it?

My Missus has a 2l turbo diesel in her Hyundai IX35, auto of course, but the take-off in that is instantaneous and the thing goes like a rocket from go to whoa, no turbo lag at all. Of course there are size and weight differences between the 2 vehicles, but I feel like I should get more out of the patrol. Clearly it ain’t no race car and I accept that as well..

Any opinions/discussion welcome

Cheers and have a happy father’s day all
    Simon
    Just joined the GU club... Happy days !
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon,

How low do you call low, in terms of Revs .....

Even my old Turbo 4.2 Diesel didn't particularly like taking off from 800 Revs in Top Gear after dribbling through town ( although it would do it )

The Auto would never ever let the engine get so low, so you don't notice in the Auto....

My CRD is good from around 1800 rpm usually. I roughly drive in the 1500 - 3300 rev band ... no need to go more or less to get where you need if you are in the right gear
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Lambroast (6th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try winding in your needle valve a little bit until your boost is 10-12psi at 100
    Last edited by heaths_gu; 5th September 2015 at 04:22 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heaths_gu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Put a few more psi of boost in it as your EGTs suggest not enough.
    Do you have a needle valve fitted.
    Also you could go and get a dyno to sort it out
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, ive only re ently fitted the nads kit to my 08 patrol. Goes heaps better egts at 100ks are 400 and ery stable. Full boost on mine is at 2200 rpm and max is 16 psi. It pulls hard from low down in the rev range. Took a little bit of fiddling of the needle valve to get it spot on.
    08 gu. Winch bar. Dominator winch, roof cage, 32" and 22" light bar, 3" inch exhaust. 33 " tyres, 2" flexicoils. Oricom uhf boost and egt gauges snorkel.tig welded intercooler. Dawes and needle valve. And 2 baby seats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ex telstra truck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Happy,

I'd expect similar performance to your CRD I would think. Do you 'feel' the turbo coming onto boost or do you have a smooth power delivery through that rev range ?
    I'd be happier to have more power/pickup at 1800 RPM than 2800...

I wouldn't even try to pull away at 800 RPM in 5th. I'm sure it would do it eventually, but EGT would go through the roof and I reckon I'd run out of road first

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Simon,

How low do you call low, in terms of Revs .....

Even my old Turbo 4.2 Diesel didn't particularly like taking off from 800 Revs in Top Gear after dribbling through town ( although it would do it )

The Auto would never ever let the engine get so low, so you don't notice in the Auto....

My CRD is good from around 1800 rpm usually. I roughly drive in the 1500 - 3300 rev band ... no need to go more or less to get where you need if you are in the right gear
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Turbo thingey

Thanks Telstra,

Looks like a bit of fiddling is due Your specs are more what I'd be expecting...

I've got a Needle valve under the bonnet and I think a Dawes valve adjustment in the cabin. All NADS stuff was already installed when I bought the vehicle. (Catch can, dawes & needle valve, EGT & Boost guages, EGR blank)
    I understand the Dawes valve (If I am naming it correctly) controls max boost, and the needle valve controls turbo spool up rate ?

I'll have to get out and have a look.
    Dyno is certainly an attractive option.
    Does anyone know of a reputable 'Patrol whisperer' on the north side of Perth anywhere ?

Cheers for the replies all.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ex telstra truck View Post
    Hey mate, ive only re ently fitted the nads kit to my 08 patrol. Goes heaps better egts at 100ks are 400 and ery stable. Full boost on mine is at 2200 rpm and max is 16 psi. It pulls hard from low down in the rev range. Took a little bit of fiddling of the needle valve to get it spot on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lambroast For This Useful Post:

Ex telstra truck (15th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambroast View Post
    Thanks Happy,

I'd expect similar performance to your CRD I would think. Do you 'feel' the turbo coming onto boost or do you have a smooth power delivery through that rev range ?
    I'd be happier to have more power/pickup at 1800 RPM than 2800...

I wouldn't even try to pull away at 800 RPM in 5th. I'm sure it would do it eventually, but EGT would go through the roof and I reckon I'd run out of road first

Simon
    Simon,

Yes, yours should be the same. I have now had 2 CRD's, and both have been identical.

You don't really feel the Turbo 'hit' at 1800 - it is more that the power feeds on smoothly. I guess the best way to describe it, is that under that at 1200prm, you push the accelerator pedal, and it can take off slowly or in a manner that is not entirely predictable ( sometimes slower than others due to load, incline, temperature, etc - sometimes faster like a V8), but when it gets to 1800, it is then always fairly predicable, and will take off with the same acceleration curve, as it is then in its best power range for the engine

Mic

14. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a valve inside the cab i would have thought it would be the needle valve rather than the dawes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heaths_gu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon,'

I just took mine out for a drive, and actually had a careful look at what I was doing, and I only use 1800 - 3300 rpm for acceleration away from the lights....

For the rest of the time I was cruising along at around 1400 - 1500 rpm and the truck would cruise along just fine at those revs, even in fifth gear, at 60 K's

Mic

18. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast