Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Driving from Wollongong, NSW to Perth, WA

Hi Guys,

Im helping my sister drive her car to Perth this weekend. I only have limited days to do this and am planning to knock the drive over between Thursday to Monday. I know its a long drive but between three drivers we should be able to knock it over pretty easily. We wont have much time for sight seeing but for anyone that has done the drive is there anything along the way that i would be just crazy to not stop at? Also, following Google Maps would be the best thing hey? driving across SA is pretty simple, and NSW i know that area very well but WA, it says to get to Norsmann and head north to Coolgardie the west onto Perth. is that the best way to do it or is there a more direct route as its quite a big northern detour.

TIA for the advice guys!

Rusty
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (2nd September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That WA leg is the only way Ive gone, or know of.
    Enjoy the trip and stay safe
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (2nd September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most direct route is as you said, from Norseman to Coolgardie then to Perth. Alternative is to go south at norsman and via Esperance which is much more scenic, but will add a day to your trip. only other is via Lakes but that is rough and can be 4WD depending on weather.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kalgoorlie is always worth touring but you still have another 6 hours to drive to Perth. Unfortunatly, the drive from Coolgardie to Perth is not the most interesting in the world, but if you need to do it in a hurry thats the shortest way. Normal precautions in that area, roos at dusk etc. Biggest annoyance can be getting stuck behind a truckload of mining machinery and doing a couple of dozen K's at 60 km/hr because there are no passing opertunities.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Kalgoorlie is always worth touring but you still have another 6 hours to drive to Perth. Unfortunatly, the drive from Coolgardie to Perth is not the most interesting in the world, but if you need to do it in a hurry thats the shortest way. Normal precautions in that area, roos at dusk etc. Biggest annoyance can be getting stuck behind a truckload of mining machinery and doing a couple of dozen K's at 60 km/hr because there are no passing opertunities.
    thanks mate! good to know. yeah were strapped for time so if its not on the way we wont be stopping at it =(, i wish i has 2 weeks to do it, i guess that will be for next time

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have no trouble making it in 4 days with multiple drivers - have done it solo in heavy vehicles numerous times.
    It's a great run across the paddock that everyone should do at least once.
    Watch out for animals - everything from farm animals to wombats, roos, emus, camels, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (2nd September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If time is of the essence, Don't go through Esperance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    If time is of the essence, Don't go through Esperance.
    yeah mate definately wont be doing that this time ill save esperence for when i have a week to spare

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Easy drive in 4 days, there is a short cut from Norseman that goes to Hyden but it is about 240ks of dirt, I always go that way, the road is well maintained as it is used by the mines along there.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

Avo (5th September 2015), rusty_nail (2nd September 2015), Stropp (5th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuppa View Post
    Easy drive in 4 days, there is a short cut from Norseman that goes to Hyden but it is about 240ks of dirt, I always go that way, the road is well maintained as it is used by the mines along there.
    now thats the information im looking for!!! were in a subaru outback, so it should be nice and comfortable even on the dirt. is there a name for this road or should i just look up a dirt road from norseman to hyden?

oh and will using it save me time? lol
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 2nd September 2015 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast