Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reduction gear selection

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd reckon the 43% would be enough for most normal use, 85% would really only be required for rockhopping etc in most cases.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oka374 View Post
    I'd reckon the 43% would be enough for most normal use, 85% would really only be required for rockhopping etc in most cases.
    85% for autos either way - overcomes the lack of engine compression for steep descents.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    85% for autos either way - overcomes the lack of engine compression for steep descents.
    Further to this - what are you driving? Manual or auto? I figure either way, why not go the larger reduction for the minimum price differential anyway - we are only talking low range when the gears are active, and even on the beach (if you have a manual) you can still run in 4th or 5th gear with the lower reduction - an auto would struggle here a bit, but only due to speed - I never use low range on the beach, but am there rarely compared to off road (tracks, parks etc), so my opinion is based directly on your use - if you're predominantly beach use then maybe the 43% gears - if not, 85 all the way.

I have 85% in my auto by the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GUte View Post
    I kept saying that too but ive only had it for 5 months now and doing them already!
    I would defiantly get the locker first, makes a HUGE difference and no amount of low range can really help a open front diff! Also, I never really noticed the low range gearing issue till the locker went in, the vastly greater traction the vehicle has once they go in really plays havoc with the low down torque when climbing hills etc. You just think its fine with open diffs and they just spin, you go nowhere while not noticing the lack of low gearing
    Hi GUte!

How did u go with the reduction?
    I'm doing the same, but don't do a lot o rock climbing, but the odd steep accent and a lot of soft sand driving. Planning a trip across the Simpson Desert next year with a 1 ton off road trailer in tow, thought the gear reduction might help a bit.

Cheers mate!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there ever an update on the 43% gears?

Will do growler!

If i had an automatic I would have chosen the 85% reduction as the manuals first gear is lower and autos suffer from running away downhill a lot more than manuals.

Will keep this thread updated
    The conspiracy theorists were right!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with the 43% glad I didnt get the 85% would not use L1 or possibly L2 with the stuff I do. If you are into rocks and steps well then the 85's are the way to go.
    Cheers
    Macca

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (6th January 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys, yeah thats what I have been thinking lately, wanted 85 at first for ages now thinking 43 will probably be best of both worlds! Mind changes almost hourly sometimes!

I dont know anyone personally with a set fitted so I will just have to go on opinions alone
    Looks like 2 wheel drive to me.
    '92 (MIGHTY) GQ ST 3.0L Duel Petrol / LPG, 2" Pedders Suspension Lift on 33x12.5x15 BigHorns
    Lukey 2.5" Performance Exhaust with Extractors, snorkel
    Auto Lokka In The Front, Duel Batteries, Stiff Deep Dish Steering Wheel,

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyboner81 View Post
    Looks like 2 wheel drive to me.
    Another MC misquote by any chance?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's time to start this thread up again. I am in the process of doing this but my application is a little different. I've got a heavy GU camper combination. It quite often drops under turbo influence and stalls in 2nd low climbing and I'm on the brakes even in 1st descending. The idea of backing it down a hill with the current gearing doesn't bare considering. I originally thought something around 2.5:1 would be sufficient but then (like everyone else) am now stuck between 2.86 and 3.74. If I was confident the 50.1:1 1st and similar reverse with the 2.86 gearing would allow both controlled descents and rock stepping on steep ascents without stalling it appears to be the best of both worlds. 2nd gear in the ratio looks handy and 3rd is closer than currently. The guys at Marks have sent me a speed calculator but in reality what is the difference between 3.7 and 5.2 kph when descending a steep hill? And what is the effect on engine braking? l see the original thread came from Macca with a gu ute. Have you got any more experience relevant to mine since the last thread? Much appreciate any input

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paps01 View Post
    Well it's time to start this thread up again. ........... l see the original thread came from Macca with a gu ute. Have you got any more experience relevant to mine since the last thread? Much appreciate any input
    Still feel the same, suits my usage

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Very happy with the 43% glad I didnt get the 85% would not use L1 or possibly L2 with the stuff I do. If you are into rocks and steps well then the 85's are the way to go.
    Cheers
    Macca

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast