Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery inside vehicle.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That thing is huge and heavy!! On top of or forward of the rear axle for the win. It weighs 60kgs so is a person and is as heavy as a full sub tank. Serious battery. Do you need that? Seems overkill to me mate? But some Solar for camping and an 800cca will be plenty.

Do you have kids in the back seat or can you remove the rear seat and mount in its place?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you intend fully charging it you will regret putting it inside the car! It will gas & stink the car out (smells like rotten eggs), & is an explosion risk. Just needs one little spark in the right conditions. You will of course make your own decision, but for your sake & for others reading this thread I strongly advise against putting it inside the car!
    A battery box is unlikely to contain an explosion, & in fact is possibly more likely to result in one (concentrates the gas in a small area). To safely ventilate the battery you need to have it sealed from the interior with an external vent which allows a good air flow. Are you planning a vented door cut in the side of the vehicle with the battery inside a gas tight cabinet accessible from outside on very heavy duty slide outs? If not - for your own safety & comfort - please don’t do it!

IMO the only safe way to carry that battery inside the car without the sealed/vented cabinet is if it is A) very securely fastened down, so you know it won’t go anywhere in the event of an accident/roll over situation and B) that it is NOT ever charged inside the vehicle.

From http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg139.pdf

12 Hydrogen and oxygen are usually produced inside a battery when it is beingcharged. A source of ignition – for example, a flame, a spark, a cigarette or any hotobject, electrical equipment, a mobile phone – will often cause mixtures of thesegases to ignite and explode. The explosion is often so violent that it shatters thebattery and produces a highly dangerous shower of fragments and corrosivechemicals.

13 Hydrogen and oxygen are produced more quickly as the battery gets close to being fully charged. If you continue charging after the battery is fully charged, a lotof gas will be produced, greatly increasing the risk from explosion.

14 During charging, gas bubbles often become trapped inside the battery. Themixture of two parts hydrogen to one part oxygen produced is perfect for anexplosion. When a vented battery is moved, the trapped gases are released intothe air around the battery. A tiny spark is all that is needed to ignite the gases. Ifthis happens in a confined space (eg inside the battery, or in an enclosure or apoorly ventilated battery room), a violent explosion is likely.

15 The gases that come out of a vented lead/acid battery during charging oftencontain a fine mist of sulphuric acid. Take care to avoid breathing these fumes, andwear suitable eye protection.

16 Valve-regulated (‘maintenance-free’) batteries are much less likely to releasehydrogen than vented batteries. However, it is still important to take care whencharging them. Gas pressure may build up inside the battery if it is charged tooquickly or for too long. If this happens, the pressure relief valves in the battery mayopen and let the gases escape. An explosion is likely if this happens close to anignition source.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 2nd September 2015 at 10:54 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill265 View Post
    Well I have to be honest Threedogs I've never even heard of a thermo couple, can you tell me a bit about this please what role this plays. I'm pretty green at the whole electronics side.
    Haven't got a pic but they cost about $10 each and act like a curcuit breaker,
    Too much load and it will heat up and Trip off ,then it'll cool down and allow the device attached to work again.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Passive-Com...12VDC/p/SF4100
    Last edited by threedogs; 2nd September 2015 at 05:06 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As all of the other posts suggest - don't put a lead-acid battery in the car as this is asking for trouble.

Dry cell or, i've heard you can get LiIon batterys for cars now - quite compact and have a lot of punch. Not sure on the price of these though.

As with any battery re-locations - make sure you have good earth circuits, can't have too many/too much!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think you guys are right it's to unsafe and a little over kill. I have another use for it. I have permeant camping site for 6 months a year at Montagu on tassies north west coast. There is no power there so I'll set it up there with a solar panel, use it for a few lights and the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phill265 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (3rd September 2015), MudRunnerTD (3rd September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input here guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12