Thread: TD42 belt question

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile TD42 belt question

can anyone help with replacing the belts on a 99 4.2TD Nissan Patrol husband has taken them off and gone to work for 2 weeks now wife is goin to try replace them any tips on adjusters.
    Last edited by YNOT; 2nd April 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Title change

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to correct section.

Tony

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (1st April 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys which catergory should I post to if I need answers or help with things

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all depends on the relevance of the question there are so many catergorys but if u are unsure just ask in general banter of a likes

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say mechanical stuff goes in the mechanical section, electrical in the electrical, and if you follow the example of our learned Administrator and Moderator oh and every other regular it's a free for all hahahaha......... we try to be good honest we do

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread cleaned up.

As said above try to put questions in the most relevant section. In this case drive belts could have gone in "engine and drivetrain" or here in "general mechanical".

Back to the belts.
    There should be 4 belts from memory, 2 of them will be the same size and are for the alternator the other 2 will be for power steering and air conditioning. You will need to trail fit them to see which is the correct length for each position.

The alternator and power steering pump are adjusted by loosening of the adjuster bolt/nut and moving the pump or alternator, the adjuster bolt will slide through an elongated hole. You may need to use something like a 2 foot length of wooden broom handle behind the pump or alternator to give you more leverage to tension the belt. When correctly tensioned if you push your finger down on the longest section of the belt you should be able to move the belt about 10mm. Lock the adjuster bolt there. Check the tension of the other pump/alternator bolts as they may have been loosend.

The air conditioning compressor is fixed to the engine block so the idler pulley is used to adjust tension on the belt. The nut in the middle of the pulley is the lock bolt and there will be an adjuster bolt pointing either up or down (I sold my TD42 a few years ago so the memories a bit fuzzy!) out from the centre. Again the belt deflection on the longest section of belt sould be about 10mm. Tighten the lock nut when adjusted.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need more information, the only silly question is the one you don't ask that causes you to stuff things up!

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony, I'm goin to give it a go now!!! I need my car back, hate not having a car to drive.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I just changed my belts on my TD42 Y60 1989 and the alternator was really difficult to move once I'd slackened the tensioner bolt off, ended up having to get at it from the side, hold a length of wood against it, and whack it to release the tension, same the other way to tension it. Broom handle wasn't enough!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. i got a TD42 engine but i suspect that the correct Fan belts were not used. the so called driver gave me the broken belts and not i can't seem to find the correct ones or where each one that goes where......if someone can provide me with the numbers (or Gates belt numbers) and a drawing where each fits i will very much appreciate

regards

Damion

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 belt question

Quote Originally Posted by DamionG1 View Post
    Hi. i got a TD42 engine but i suspect that the correct Fan belts were not used. the so called driver gave me the broken belts and not i can't seem to find the correct ones or where each one that goes where......if someone can provide me with the numbers (or Gates belt numbers) and a drawing where each fits i will very much appreciate

regards

Damion
    You can buy a fan belt kit from Roadrunner Off-road

https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au...ol-gu-y61-td42

You can also get fan belt kits fro here

https://patrolapart.com.au

Or give gates a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shakey55; 25th November 2019 at 07:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast