Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing GQ Patrol Roof Liner

Hi all

I've replaced the roof liner in the Patrol wagon and thought i'd share my experience and photos. It wasn't an overly difficult task, it just required a little time and patience.

The first step was to remove the old head liner. Not very difficult. It's one single piece with a couple of wire hoops that support it in the roof with the edges tucked into the pinch welds around the front and rear doors and window seals. I didn't need to remove the windows to remove the roof liner, by simply pulling at it gently, it came away by itself. And in one piece. The rear view mirror and sun visors needed to be removed to get the head liner off in one piece.
    Then you're left with the cotton mill scrap rubbish that they use for sound deadening. It's only held up with double sided tape and peels away. Unfortunately the tape sticks very well to the roof and is difficult to remove.

You can see in the pics that there are 3 support beams that run across the roof. The roof is not riveted to this, only glued on with a couple of dabs of sealant. When i had the roof bare, i was able to lift the roof from the beams in a few sections so i took the opportunity to use ample amounts of Sikaflex to re glue the roof to the supports. This did stop one of the annoying clunking sounds the Patrol had.

While the roof was bare i applied some Dynamat and some sound proofing foam.

IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

bomberNZ (2nd November 2016), Clunk (20th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (20th August 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (22nd August 2015), Rossco (20th August 2015), Winnie (20th August 2015)