Thread: Smoking

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoking

What makes me MAD is that I cant do what I want to do anymore with out a lot of effort
    I smoked for the best part of my life
    love going 4x4ing but now have to go the easier tracks unless with some one to help with
    the winch and run up the hills that I could do once
    went to wash the truck before and came back puffed
    cut the fire wood 3minutes on the axe puffed
    SO for your own health and your FAMILY just give it UP its even got to the stage its an effort
    to roll the swag of a morning
    I have given them away for 6 years now but 6years to late

GIVE UP GUYS you don't need them

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (20th August 2015), Bob (20th August 2015), BSRT.Beast (20th August 2015), Bush Ranger (20th August 2015), Cuppa (20th August 2015), Family4x4 (20th August 2015), GU CAMPER (21st August 2015), Irish (24th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (20th August 2015), mudski (20th August 2015), paulyg (20th August 2015), Rossco (20th August 2015), rusty_nail (21st August 2015), threedogs (20th August 2015), warner01 (20th August 2015), Winnie (20th August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call ... Myself and Nicole are now at 205 days and counting

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BSRT.Beast For This Useful Post:

Bob (20th August 2015), rusty_nail (21st August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015), threedogs (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with all the sentiments above. I also gave it away about 10 years ago. I still can't do many of the things above but for other reasons, (double hip replacement) but I'm getting better at breathing.
    What roofy said - GIVE UP GUYS you don't need them
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bob (20th August 2015), BSRT.Beast (20th August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015), threedogs (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of the lucky ones that I was able to give up with the help of Champix with little or no side effects.
    It has been 6 years now after being a 30/40 a day smoker. Still no sense of smell and have other health problems from Smoking

As Roofy says Give up Smoking.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

BSRT.Beast (20th August 2015), Rossco (20th August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice Roofy. I’m a reformed smoker. Smoking 10 ciggies a day at 12/13, & varying numbers of spliffs daily from around 16. Stopped smoking tobacco at age 50 (20 to 30 a day) & stopped smoking altogether at 53. Now 58. Occasionally I still think I’d like a smoke but am never seriously tempted. Improvement in breathing & the morning coughing was quite quick. Giving up the spliffs saw me start to dream at night again & my moods evened out. I really enjoy my dreams now. Just have to hope I get lucky & have not already cursed myself.

Do whatever it takes to give up, both for yourself & those who care about you. Different things work for different people. For myself I needed to ‘own’ the process. This meant not using any ‘crutches’ like nicotine replacement. Just reaching a decision to go cold turkey & sticking with it. Telling folk helped too. The hardest part was truly reaching the decision to quit. I thought about it for a couple of years & even made deadlines for myself (which I didn’t share with anyone & didn’t keep). Once that decision was made & the first couple of weeks had passed it all became easier by the day. Not ‘wasting’ my achievement to date was a huge incentive to keep going, even when other things in life turned crap.

A mate gave up using the patches. He weaned himself off them bit by bit eventually cutting patches in halves & then quarters before finally giving them away. At the time it seemed to me that he was putting the responsibility for his success (or otherwise) onto the patches rather than onto himself ......... but it woorked for him & he’s now been smoke free for 12 years.

I don’t believe that ‘replacement smoking’ (e-ciggies) is a good idea, at least not for habitual/ritual smokers like I was................ And yes I can now thoroughly enjoy a cup of coffee without wanting a smoke & don’t have to go through the anxiety driven patting of pockets to ensure I have smokes & lighter with me wherever I go.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (20th August 2015), Bob (20th August 2015), Bush Ranger (20th August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Smoked 60 a day easy, more if I had a beer, tried Zorban was rushed to hospital,
    then tried Champix first few times i didnt give up.
    Then I thought this is gunna bite me on the butt later on in life like all things you do.
    Footy is a good example.It was my decision I wil not preach to anyone else they will know when the times right
    Dont feel like one and dont care if ppl smoke around me, say at camp, its their business.
    All I would say is dont smoke around babies or kids, it a bit too PC I think, as its not illegal, is it?
    Been about 5 years now just wish I never had this sore back, cause Id be down right dangerous lol

My mate Pricey who together with my myself could have represented AUST in the "Smoking Olympics",
    even he has given up using those "E" smokes.lol, each to there own

My wife having a severe heart attack lying in the ICU for 22 days certainly sets your priorities in life
    Last edited by threedogs; 20th August 2015 at 03:18 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Bob (20th August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up around 18 years ago, the patches helped the process, along with building model cars (keep the hands occupied), stayed away from the pub and club for a year or so and chewed lots of gum Kept the gum in my ciggie pocket.

Next incentive was the $s. Figure an average of $20/day for 18 years, 20x365=$7,300 X 18 years =$131,400. That buys a hell of a lots of Patrol and camping gear. (...............and no I don't have a Porche )
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Bob (20th August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My incentive was my hip operation. I had given up and started again a few times prior to that, but I was told that the best chance of surviving the aesthetic was to quit. I slowed down then stopped nearly 12 months before the op then after the time in hospital it seemed to be a really negitive thing to start smoking again. Will always remember the die hards who would stagger out to the balcony with all their bandages on for a puff as soon as they could move.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bob (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    My incentive was my hip operation. I had given up and started again a few times prior to that, but I was told that the best chance of surviving the aesthetic was to quit. I slowed down then stopped nearly 12 months before the op then after the time in hospital it seemed to be a really negitive thing to start smoking again. Will always remember the die hards who would stagger out to the balcony with all their bandages on for a puff as soon as they could move.
    Good point they wont operate if you smoke these days,

@timE Id hate to do the math on monies spent on cigarettes
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=@timE Id hate to do the math on monies spent on cigarettes[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but as the old joke goes (The up herself do gooder says, "if you had never smoked you could have bought a Porche by now" the old bloke asks "do you smoke?", "NO" she says, "Well where is your 'ken Porche then"!) I reckon I would probably have spent most of it on something else ;(
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (20th August 2015), threedogs (21st August 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast