The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How to restore your old rusty cast iron camp oven

I decided to do a little walk through on how to restore your old rusty cast iron camp oven as mine was getting pretty bad after I stupidly left it out one night and it rained...
    So...
    The pic below is what mine looked like. Not too bad on the inside, but the pics dont do it justice, there was a bit of well stuck food and slight rust too. The outside, left a lot to be desired.

Tools needed for the job is a drill, corded or cordless and a wire wheel, I used both wire wheels in the pic.

You also need some cast iron conditioner. After researching and hunting around, I found that using olive oil or canola oil won't do the job right and can also hold any nasties in the oil. Not good for cooking. Last thing you want is to have the trotts out in the bush. This stuff wasn't expensive, although no one here in OZ sells it and I got it from Amazon US, I think I paid around $30 delivered. four days later I had the stuff! Nice and fast postage... If you get some Crisko oil, I think it is, which has animal fat in it, this would work, or lard. I found a lot of the yanks using these two...

Preparation to finish time. Pretty much a whole day...

So the first step is you need to set your oven to the self cleaning mode, or on as high as it will go if you don't have a self cleaning oven and put the pot in the oven upside down for around three hours. This will burn off any excess food and help remove the rust.
    Once its been cooking for three hours, let it cool down and attack it with the wire wheel. Then in hot soapy water, preferably a natural soap, give it a good wash, then chuck it in the oven again on around 200c to let it dry. When you remove the pot, it will look rusty again. This will happen, its just how rust goes... Go at it a few more time with the wire wheel, clean it, dry it. Rinse and repeat. On the last time with the wire wheel and washing I dried it on the wok burner on high. I found this dried the cast iron much faster and there was no time for the rust to come back.

Next is to apply your conditioner.
    Use this sparingly, dont soak the iron in conditioner, but just make it wet enough to change the colour of the iron. Then back in the oven on around 250c for two hours. You need to do this process atleast three times, getting the pot hot in the oven everytime. On the last session of conditioning, run the pot in the oven for around 3 hours at no less than 300c. Or as hot as your oven will let you.
    Note : I did the middle two conditioning sessions in my bbq with the lid closed at 250c and it worked a treat. As the pong you will get in the kitchen won't make the boss too happy.

So once all done you should see a result like I did. No rust and one near brand new looking camp oven.

Enjoy your cleaning...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

AB (20th August 2015), Avo (21st January 2017), Bloodyaussie (20th August 2015), Bob (20th August 2015), my third 256 (21st August 2015), Sir Roofy (20th August 2015), Winnie (20th August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine next thanks mate

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah can you do mine the following week? TIA
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No thanks fella's. While it wasn't hard to do, it was time consuming.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    if its filthy ill just spray inside with oven cleaner, the outside i just spray matt black,
    Hot soapy water and then re oil it, You shouldnt take them back to cast iron because
    you are removing the seasoning, You should heat it up and wipe with some paper towel

Another tip if you want a fry pan non-stick empty 2KG of salt
    and place the pan on heat for an hour or so, voila non-stick.
    Pic is of a few of my ovens

Thats a nice thick walled oven Mark any brand that you know of
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Molasses is supposed to be a good way to go as well, check this site.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good Mark but that's a lot of work,dos,nt matter about the outside so much its inside that needs to be clean
    when cooking on an open fire the oven normaly goes rusty over night anyway
    to clean just wipe out and re oil never wash out with soapy water as it will taint the inside as cast is pourours

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th August 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    if its filthy ill just spray inside with oven cleaner, the outside i just spray matt black,
    Hot soapy water and then re oil it, You shouldnt take them back to cast iron because
    you are removing the seasoning, You should heat it up and wipe with some paper towel

Another tip if you want a fry pan non-stick empty 2KG of salt
    and place the pan on heat for an hour or so, voila non-stick.
    Pic is of a few of my ovens

Thats a nice thick walled oven Mark any brand that you know of
    Personally I wouldn't use oven cleaner inside the camp oven. You gotta eat out of it... Heating the camp oven at really high temps, like in a kitchen oven, for extended periods will burn off any excess stuck food... I re seasoned this oven so taking it back to cast wasn't an issue. Some ovens I have seen, like my brother inlaws, is really rusty on the inside. Worse that what mine was on the outside.
    As for the brand. Its just a Ray's one. Lol. Works great too.
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Very good Mark but that's a lot of work,dos,nt matter about the outside so much its inside that needs to be clean
    when cooking on an open fire the oven normaly goes rusty over night anyway
    to clean just wipe out and re oil never wash out with soapy water as it will taint the inside as cast is pourours
    Yeah it is a lot of work, but if the inside is rusted, you don't really want to be throwing away a still good oven. It just needs some work to bring it back to life. The outside of mine had never rusted, in the years i've had it. Only when I left it outside in the rain it rusted.

I think I will score my brother inlaws oven as he is gonna buy a new one. I'll just give some love, well a lot of love, and then he'll want it back...

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have a bunch of pansies on this forum.

On your next camping trip cook up simply throw the oven on the fire to burn off the last trips germs and start cooking!

The last trips juices flow into the new cook up and creates amazing flavours (pending last trips final meal)....job done!

Nah seriously Mark, good write up

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (20th August 2015), rusty_nail (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best oil for seasoning cast iron (& quite possibly what is in the tube of Cast Iron Conditioner) is flaxseed oil. This is food grade linseed oil. Needs to be kept in the fridge & away from light. We bought a cast iron frypan recently & it came with a bottle of flaxseed oil. The following link explains:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

Never use detergent or steel scrapers or wire wool (unless you plan to re-season it). I don’t think I’d use oven cleaner either.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast