User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Shake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs R, just try it nothing will happen, if you do it your self you'll save heaps of cash, I've owned 4 Nissan gu,s in my time and every one wobbled removing the shims worked every time, no caster corrections, wheel alignments this that just shims and no troubles at all ever. Also what trouble have you heard of? only one I know of is a slightly tighter steering but only slight. You may also get a little veering left and right whilst driving to fix that just screw in the adjusting screw at the top of the steering arm just a little like 2-3mm in max no more. Oh also if you do decide to do it take the wheel off to reduce the weight a bit and I think from memory, there is no other way to get rid of the wobble.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask, whether the wobble is a side to side movement? My patrol feels like the wheels are oscillating. More like an up or down movement.
    Seems to happen on really uneven roads. I am thinking it might be shock or tyre related. Not sure if this is the same thing that you are experiencing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jono6974 View Post
    Can I ask, whether the wobble is a side to side movement? My patrol feels like the wheels are oscillating. More like an up or down movement.
    Seems to happen on really uneven roads. I am thinking it might be shock or tyre related. Not sure if this is the same thing that you are experiencing.
    If it really is up and down movement then it can only be bumps in the road or a tyre out of balance. Even if a shock or spring is buggered it won't give up and down bounce if the road is smooth and flat.
    When was the last time you had a wheel balance?

tappa lives!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jono, do a couple of tests, jack the car up and check the wheel bearing give it a shake from the top and bottom both front driver and passenger side if there's slack then tighten the bearings up a bit , then place something under tyre and lower it just til it touches a bit then lift it up a fraction then spin the wheel and see if it contacts anywhere to see if the tyre is seated properly or out of round do all 4 wheels whilst your doing each tyre check for any bulges on the side walls, have you had a puncture and use that sealant gel crap? then give your shocks a test by pushing down on the front guard if it doesn't stop bouncing straight away then you may need new shocks and while your at it check the rubber mounts at the top and bottom of the shock they may need nipping up if that fails go see pedders for a full suspension test Oh and yes its fast side to side movement
    Last edited by peterbr1; 30th August 2015 at 03:41 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I will look into it when time allows.
    The wheels were last balanced when tyres were put on. They are about 50 percent worn.
    Never had a puncture, and will give the bonnet a push and see what happens. The road does have some irregularities, but my other car does not respond in the same way.
    I was thinking th bulky tyres could make it worse. Will check it all out though. Thanks for the advice and apologies for hijacking a thread.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I will look into it when time allows.
    The wheels were last balanced when tyres were put on. They are about 50 percent worn.
    Never had a puncture, and will give the bonnet a push and see what happens. The road does have some irregularities, but my other car does not respond in the same way.
    I was thinking th bulky tyres could make it worse. Will check it all out though. Thanks for the advice and apologies for hijacking a thread.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you could be right about the tyres what psi do you pump them up too? I go to 40psi

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all
    I have a steering shake from side to side.Doesn't go to one side or the other just a shake that seems to come from the steering itself. Had the steering damper done, new panhard bushes, new tyres, wheel alignment etc. Taking it in on Thursday again and going to try a few things with it. If all else fails then I will ask him to remove the King pin bearing shims and see if that fixes my problem. Anyone against doing this for any reason.
    Everything underneath looks in good condition-shocks, bushes, everything has been checked- There is absolutely no wheel wobble so bearings etc are all good. Maybe we should all band together and get Nissan to take them all back and fix it for us.
    I run my tyres at 40psi- think that would be about right.

Mrs H
    Last edited by Mrs Ronnieh; 8th September 2015 at 07:06 PM.
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnieh View Post
    Hi
    I have heard of that and also heard alot of people having more trouble after removing them. My shake seemed good but has returned. It feels like more of a steering issue--the steering wheel shakes from side to side but only badly around that 100k mark. Can feel it at lesser speeds sometimes but more at 100 k's.
    So back to square one for me. Have had everything checked over and all seems good and tight. Think I will put it back in and get King pin bearings and all done properly and see how it goes. At least if its done by a mechanic and something goes wrong I can take it back and get it fixed.

Mrs H
    I couldn't see for looking but what size tyres are you running and at what PSI?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Mrs H, and yeah ill be in with the banding this is my 4th patrol all with steering shake at 80kp/h
    Last edited by peterbr1; 8th September 2015 at 08:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peterbr1 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (8th September 2015)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast