Thread: Steering Shake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steering Shake.

Hi Everyone.
    I am sure this question has been asked a million times before but I am lost as to why I have the dreaded steering shake in my GU.
    I have new tyres, fitted,balanced and a wheel alignment. Had fitted a new Steering Damper. Have had it all checked out and everything appears to be good in the front end including wheel bearings.

Its faintly noticeable 60 k's and up but its when I hit just below 100 k's that my steering wheel really shakes--so does the cab seem to.

Tomorrow its going in for Panhard Bushes and apart from that I NEED HELP AS TO WHAT ELSE I COULD TRY.

HELP NEEDED GUYS.

Mrs Ronnie.
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnieh View Post
    Hi Everyone.
    I am sure this question has been asked a million times before but I am lost as to why I have the dreaded steering shake in my GU.
    I have new tyres, fitted,balanced and a wheel alignment. Had fitted a new Steering Damper. Have had it all checked out and everything appears to be good in the front end including wheel bearings.

Its faintly noticeable 60 k's and up but its when I hit just below 100 k's that my steering wheel really shakes--so does the cab seem to.

Tomorrow its going in for Panhard Bushes and apart from that I NEED HELP AS TO WHAT ELSE I COULD TRY.

HELP NEEDED GUYS.

Mrs Ronnie.
    i always find this one useful when troubleshooting. from what i can see your halfway there. i just my panhard bushes changed and that seemed to fix the problem for me

10686968_1570983679793238_3257500858238585773_n.jpg
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (19th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mine has a slight shake but only under brakes .
    I have to nip up the wheel bearings on the week end.
    After the panhard bushes ,It may be other bushes so check all
    with a long bar
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.

Will give this to Matt tomorrow. Yes looks like I am about half way through the list. New panhard bushes tomorrow so will see how that goes. Fingers crossed its sorted by doing that.

Thanks again fo rthe info.
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Ronnieh For This Useful Post:

threedogs (19th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've never had the dreaded Patrol 80k-90k wobbles
    well not yet
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all
    Just an update. Had the truck in today for a check over and to have Panhard bushes changed. Turns out the driver side one had been done--near new but the other was original with only slight movement. Had it changed anyway and seems to have rectified my problem- 98 percent better anyway. Also took it back to have wheel allignment adjusted--had a noticeable pull to the left and the steering wheel also was going to the left. All good and it drives so much better.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems its a process of elimination and going through until you find the culprit.

Mrs H
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Ronnieh For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thats great news bud! im in the same boat as you and am pro at 98% atm. still have a pull to the left though, what did your place do to rectify it? i tool it to a bob jane and they said it was the camber of the road lol, i told em it was bullshit but hey they wouldnt budge.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Mrs Ronnieh (21st August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I had a wheel alignment about a week back and also new tyres fitted. I took it back yesterday arvo because it seemed to want to go left all the time. They did a test drive, bought it back and did some adjustments and seems fine now, although according to manufacturers specifications they are designed to have a slight veer to the left in case you fall asleep while driving and by this it means you run off the side of the road on the left I guess. ???.
    Anyway apart from that truck is driving good now.

My patrol is all original and that also means everything on it is original. (2001 Model GU). It has always been regularly serviced and was very well looked after--NO BEACH EVER , no modifications to it in any way which is what I wanted. I am pleased that my problem has been sorted and it was only a matter of trial and error and no significant cost to do it.

I am replacing a few things here and there until I am satisfied with it. I am abit particular with it so want it all to be up to scratch mechanically just for me.

If you haven't done it get an alignment or take it back for some adjustments.

Mrs h
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1BtdFmyFv9s/maxresdefault.jpg click link for a pic Try removing the shims in the upper and lower king pins and regrease the bearings this should fix the shake, the lower bolts may be tricky coz its so close to guard but its do-able

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peterbr1 For This Useful Post:

warthog1 (27th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I have heard of that and also heard alot of people having more trouble after removing them. My shake seemed good but has returned. It feels like more of a steering issue--the steering wheel shakes from side to side but only badly around that 100k mark. Can feel it at lesser speeds sometimes but more at 100 k's.
    So back to square one for me. Have had everything checked over and all seems good and tight. Think I will put it back in and get King pin bearings and all done properly and see how it goes. At least if its done by a mechanic and something goes wrong I can take it back and get it fixed.

Mrs H
    I am a GIRL- thanks Mate

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Ronnieh For This Useful Post:

Muttley (13th September 2015)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast