Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Frankensteins GQ Resurection

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How's the build coming along OLY great thread mate
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Oly, I have a 91 Nissan GQ - she's in great shape but had a hard life with the dirt roads over here in Tanzania. I would like to take the body off the chassis for two reasons - the first, to brace the rear suspension mounts as you have done and the second, for a complete respray before fitting some sound insulation and new carpets etc and third, to replace all of the bushes and engine mounts. How hard is it to remove the body from the chassis? What time is involved? Have you got a diagram of all of the bolts holding the body to the chassis? Sorry for the hundred questions, relatively new to the forum and looks like you are doing more or less what I'd like to do...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shummezz For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th February 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shummezz View Post
    Hey Oly, I have a 91 Nissan GQ - she's in great shape but had a hard life with the dirt roads over here in Tanzania. I would like to take the body off the chassis for two reasons - the first, to brace the rear suspension mounts as you have done and the second, for a complete respray before fitting some sound insulation and new carpets etc and third, to replace all of the bushes and engine mounts. How hard is it to remove the body from the chassis? What time is involved? Have you got a diagram of all of the bolts holding the body to the chassis? Sorry for the hundred questions, relatively new to the forum and looks like you are doing more or less what I'd like to do...
    It is a big job that's for sure. Unsure on a time frame though..
    There are 10 bolts in a wagon.
    4 do either side of the cabin and 2 next to the radiator.
    There is a main loom plug under the passenger seat (we have right hand drive cars so unsure if it's the same for left hand drive)
    But then you also have to strip out things like air conditioner hoses to body, heater hoses, brake and clutch lines, fuel lines, battery cables and whatever else there is in the engine bay..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey fella's sorry about the late reply, have been flat out lately, and the mrs car sh!t itself so that's taken a bit of my spare time too (who'd buy a cruiser, honestly)

I have done a little bit i'll have to load up some photo's cab is nearly ready for paint..

Shummezz it's not a technically difficult endeavour to lift the cab and if you plan on putting down sound deadener then all the carpet and inside goodies will already be out. Westy is fairly onto it with having to pay attention to making sure everything underbonnet is disconnected such as air con and things and all of the wiring does unplug so not too bad there. the crappy bit to look out for is the two rear cab mount bolts that come up from the bottom have a really weak cage holding the nut so spray with WD40 and some freeze and release every day for at least a week before attempting to undo them. sometimes they break anyway and you have to cut a larger hole as I did anyway. a hoist also helps because the way I lifted the cab was sh!t too..
    Run Your Fingers Over My Patrol, I'll Run My Patrol Over Your Fingers!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so as i mentioned progress has slowed down alot. but hasn't completely stopped

these photo's show where the front clip had separated from the cab below the windscreen

IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPG

welded the back up and welded the last few cracks in the front inner guards

IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0792.JPG

then i went and found myself one of these brace kits, painted it up as it would be a bit hard to get to after its welded

IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0808.JPG

and set about zapping them in

IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0811.JPG IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0814.JPG

i had to run through the passenger side brace with a 3 and a half inch hole saw for the snorkel hole before i could finish welding it in and i'm going to try slip a piece of pipe in to fill the hole so i'll head to the steel shop tomorrow to try to find some.

after bracing the front i started on the back...

pulled these little trim bits off

IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0780.JPG

bit of marking out 10mm down from the crease, a bit of duct tape gives me a nice straight edge

IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0785.JPG

then i very lovingly cut the f*#kers off with a grinder. It was getting a bit dark so i didn't get any more photo's but i'll grab some tomorrow and hopefully weld the plates on the bottom

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

Clunk (4th March 2016), Robo (11th March 2016), Rossco (4th March 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,924 Times in 2,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good mate. Where did you get those brace kits from, i like those. Have a suspicion mine is making some clunks from that area.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Looking good mate. Where did you get those brace kits from, i like those. Have a suspicion mine is making some clunks from that area.
    if it's a GQ then it's more likely cracked than not. i phoned andrew at Big-O 4x4. it was about $110 delivered i think from memory

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

Rossco (5th March 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few quick snaps of the rear quarters cut off and the plates being tacked on

IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0839.JPG

a few little dents sanded. then i beat them out as best i could and filled them up

IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0843.JPG

after sanding back the whole cab it's now in primer, starting to get to the pointy end of the stick

IMG_0848.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0845.JPG

and a couple that i forgot to put up before of the pipe where the snorkel hole is

IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th March 2016), mnoga (5th September 2016), Robo (11th March 2016), Rossco (10th March 2016), Wine_maker (11th March 2016)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910