Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankensteins GQ Resurection

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankensteins GQ Resurection

Alright guys, I'm about to embark on a what i can foresee being a very long mission to build up a 4WD. it will be a bit of a project/hobby to keep me entertained and to give that all important sense of satisfaction of building something unique and personalised.

I've decided to put up thread to show the progress because i have read a lot that you guys have put up and found them a great source of info and inspiration, it will also help me keep track of where i am up to and hopefully serve to keep me on track and not give up.

So here is the starting point or "canvas" for those of you playing at home. It is a 1992 GQ Wagon 4.2 Litre EFI Manual i think it is a RX Model although the rego papers say TI. it cost a grand total of $1700 dollars and still had a couple of months rego. It didn't run very well but after some new spark plugs, valve clearance adjustment, timing adjustment, and replacement of some leaking fuel hoses it was a hell of a lot better on both petrol and LPG. It is very rough inside and out and is sporting a total of 520 odd thousand kms. It's only saving grace is that it has all the electrical options i wanted ie power windows, power mirrors, A/C, Electrical aerial (even though it's broken) and it is 100% rust free. although there is a few dings and twists in the doors and front guards the body itself is straight and solid. or at least that's my justification of buying it as a good starting point.

it came with a pretty poorly made roof rack and some cheap roof spotties that weren't wired up so they came off pretty quick, i sold them for $50 bucks. (it all helps in the long run)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OLY; 15th August 2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Run Your Fingers Over My Patrol, I'll Run My Patrol Over Your Fingers!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

AB (15th August 2015), Clunk (28th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (17th October 2015), threedogs (17th October 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice one mate, enjoy the ride. Parts are cheap. Consider finding another if you have the space as a parts car as there will be plenty flogged out on that and replacement 2nd hand parts will be cheaper as a whole car in fact what you have is actually a pretty good parts car.

If you go that way its important to buy a parts car with the same engine as all the bolt ons will then suit your needs.

Or, put an LS1 in it when your 520 donk gives up, if it ever does.

Enjoy mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MudrunnerTD. funny you should mention getting another for spares, i'm actually a couple of months behind in getting the thread up, it's run out of rego now and i have picked up complete TD42 diesel one, rusty but fairly unmodified and not bastardised so should make for a good conversion. The EFI engine has great power but there is just something that i prefer about the power delivery and low down torque of the diesel. i'll get some photo's of the donor up tomorrow

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

Clunk (28th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (15th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple of shots with the rear windows out. decided to change from the sliders to solid windows, was pretty quick and easy only took an hour or so. I've lost the progress photo's somehow. this one shows there isn't any rust under the widows at all. I'll grab a couple of new ones of the solid windows fitted in. I put new rubbers in that i got off ebay for $60 each. they were a fair bit thicker than the genuine ones that were on the windows and I found that it actually made them easier to fit as i was doing it on my own, they kind of held themselves in place a little better and fitted in nice. pretty pleased with them
    IMG_0172.JPG

I also changed the front doors as they were dented and i found the drivers side was a little second hand looking at the bottom hinge. I managed to pick up the pair of front doors complete for $30 each, I still have to fit the lower moulds but needless to say the drivers door closes alot better.
    IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

AB (16th August 2015), Clunk (28th August 2015), Woof (16th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the installed photo's of the solid windows with the chepo ebay rubber seal, they seem to sit a bit better than the genuine seals i have used previously and are definitely thicker than what was on the windows when i got them

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

AB (16th August 2015), Clunk (28th August 2015), SharkyGQ (16th August 2015), threedogs (17th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work mate. I wouldn't mind changing out my sliding windows.
    Steve

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SharkyGQ For This Useful Post:

OLY (16th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as mentioned before after driving in the GQ for a couple of months it's been good but just found the 4.2EFI somewhat lacking... so i thought over the usual suspects for engine conversions and what not and the more i thought on the subject it just seemed to come back to the TD42 Diesel as the best swap to suit my needs. before i could really give it any more thought one came up cheap as chips and not far away, the best part is it has all the power options (although in a state of disrepair) that i wanted so the wiring loom would be a simple straight swap over (I hope). the body is more rust than steel and the interior smells funky as. it hasn't had the loom chopped up luckily and hasn't had a whole bunch of random crap added and been messed about with. it winds over real slow on startup, i'm thinking either an earthing issue or the starter is gummed up on the inside so i'll have to have a look into that and it seems to starve for fuel at times, initial inspection seems to point to the primer pump bleeding back. i have a spare one there so will swap it over and see what happens. it's been living it's life on a turf farm so i wouldn't have a clue what sort of fuel has been running in it. i drove it the 150kms home on a permit and it seemed to run fairly well when it was up and moving so i'm hoping it is decent engine.. time will tell........

The Diesel Bucket
    IMG_0263.JPG

Seems to have knocked into a few things in its lifetime front guards are both a bit bent and horrible alloy bullbar is only good for scrap
    IMG_0264.JPG

This one shows some of the rust in this bad boy, in all the usual places
    IMG_0265.JPG

This photo really doesn't do justice to how dirty the inside of this thing really is
    IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

Clunk (28th August 2015), threedogs (17th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate.
    i'd recommend changing them, the sliders just seem to hold all sorts of crud and moisture and start to rust. not to mention how easy the slider clips are to break into and with the amount of patrols being stolen lately anything that might help is worth while in my opinion

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th October 2015), SharkyGQ (17th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that the photo uploader has stopped being a pain in the neck, the heart of this otherwise dead patrol will be being put into the body of the white one
    IMG_0269.JPG

will be starting the conversion over the next couple of days and hopefully will have it up and running fairly soon. i'll post some progress shots along the way

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLY For This Useful Post:

Clunk (28th August 2015), rusty_nail (17th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    looks good mate! cant wait to see how far along you actually are!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast