OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are HID spotlights illegal in NSW?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are HID spotlights illegal in NSW?

Hi Guys
    I've just had a rego check done on the patrol and was told that my light bar and HID spotties are illegal. Now I know the light bar is because its not in pairs and sits on top of the bar and I'm happy to cop it sweet if I do get pulled over for it because I knew that when I fitted it but since when have HID spotlights been illegal? I know that retrofitted globes into existing reflector style headlights are a no no but I've never heard of the spotlights being illegal.
    I've searched for the last hour looking for the relevant ADR's etc but can only find info relating to retrofitting HID globes into existing headlights.
    I'd be happy for someone to show me the ADR's if they know where to get them.
    Oh and the Patrol passed, he just said he didn't see them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe email your state transport authority to get an answer. Here in SA it was illegal to run a single driving light such as a light bar until recently. Now the authorities have realised that new technology is entering the marketplace and a single light bar is legal. Maybe things have changed but your mechanic is not up to date?
    Also, off-road driving lights are not supposed to be used on road so a lot of the lights we all mount could be picked up if used on the road if the cops decide they are off-road lights. It's how things are interpreted.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Greensborough / sunshine / Aspendale. Kind of homeless at the mo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are HID spotlights illegal in NSW?

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/__data/as...Info-Sheet.pdf

Hardcore and we're all screwed and here's the nsw specific refs.

In Vic you can have the bar but the low front mount thing wasn't a rule a few months ago when Looked for down here in Vic - better check again...

For nsw

Bullbar protrusions http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safe...otrusions.html

And adrs http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...es-nov2007.pdf

Apparently in the adr no lights above lower edge of windscreen and no separate switch so that you nsw - Vic and QLD have their own regs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been through all that over and over. There's nothing specifically about the use of HID spotlights.

I've emailed to RMS so we'll see what comes back

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr350 View Post
    Ive been through all that over and over. There's nothing specifically about the use of HID spotlights.

I've emailed to RMS so we'll see what comes back
    from what i understand, you can have what ever lights you like so long as they are wired up with their own switch, which can only be activated when the high beams are already in use. i have HID's on my car and have for years, the mechanic wont even check them so long as they are wired correctly. ive had police check my car over also and they havent made any mention of them as they were satisfied that they were wired correctly.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I emailed the RMS with the same question and here's the reply after a few back and forward emails trying to explain what the lights are and how they are used.

----------------
    There are no new requirements, I can’t send you something that doesn’t exist.

If lights are ADR approved and fitted, that’s all we at this dept can comment on, if the Police decide to book you for causing a distraction or glare, that’s up to them.

Mark McIntyre
    Team Leader Technical Enquiries
    Accreditation | Safety & Compliance
    T 02 8849 2530*M 0412 250 550
    www.rms.nsw.gov.au
    Every journey matters
    Roads and Maritime Services
    --------------

So maybe because they're not ADR approved but that doesn't explain the supposed recent change in regulations that specifically mentioned HID spotlights and LED lightbars that I was told about.
    Last edited by mjr350; 11th August 2015 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I emailed the RMS with the same question and here's the reply after a few back and forward emails trying to explain what the lights are and how they are used.

----------------
    There are no new requirements, I can’t send you something that doesn’t exist.

If lights are ADR approved and fitted, that’s all we at this dept can comment on, if the Police decide to book you for causing a distraction or glare, that’s up to them.

Mark McIntyre
    Team Leader Technical Enquiries
    Accreditation | Safety & Compliance
    T 02 8849 2530*M 0412 250 550
    www.rms.nsw.gov.au
    Every journey matters
    Roads and Maritime Services
    --------------

So maybe because they're not ADR approved but that doesn't explain the supposed recent change in regulations that specifically mentioned HID spotlights and LED lightbars that I was told about.
    what changes are you talking about mate? i also saw some, but they were from western australia.

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would think ang HID driving light that was ADR approved should be fine,
    Never heard of anyone here being booked for having HID driving lights.
    The lightbar is a different matter. Did you spit on the police officer, maybe he was having a bad day
    Quotas and all to fill,
    Ill send out a few emails and see what info I can get for you
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't a cop. It was during my rego check / pink slip. He said I would have been Ok a few months ago but not anymore since the changes.
    I cant find anything about these changes and even the rms don't know.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It wasn't a cop. It was during my rego check / pink slip. He said I would have been Ok a few months ago but not anymore since the changes.
    I cant find anything about these changes and even the rms don't know.
    you should ask him to show you where the legislation is that says that then lol. sounds like hes taking the piss to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast