OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are HID spotlights illegal in NSW?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If lights are ARD approved they are just that ADR approved, cant say for the lightbar
    so nearly every 4x4 in NSW un roadworthy lol
    I think the tester got his faxs crossed up.
    Go back and get it in writting why HID driving lights are illegal
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was dead serious. The whole shop was.
    I actually didn't think there was suck thing as an ADR approved HID spotlight / driving light

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lightforce would have one
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIGHTFORC...item4621f93236
    Ive sent a question, Im dying to find an answer
    Ive never heard of it I think he meant the headlights not the Driving lights.
    just looking at a few driving lights and not one said ard , HID or nor
    Last edited by threedogs; 11th August 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=rusty_nail;622983]you should ask him to show you where the legislation is that says that then lol. sounds like hes taking the piss to me.

ask to see a "vehicle inspection certificate".
    like anything these days you need to be legally qualified to do anything "legally".
    including the boys & gals in blue
    Last edited by Robo; 12th August 2015 at 10:48 AM.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (12th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Replies to all my emails were the same "never heard of it ,ever"

I think they mean't your headlights, I had aircraft landing lights on one 4x4 years ago.
    I would go elsewhere and get the correct info.
    Last edited by threedogs; 12th August 2015 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the ADR approved lights they mentioned where the headlights. Govt depts can get cryptic when asked certain questions and it's safer for them to just read off the rule book without being helpful. If nothing is written in the legislation concerning driving lights then they won't say it's legal, they will just read out what's on the legislation. That way nothing can come back and bite them.

most cops wouldn't know what each light is either (hid or halogen). If your lights are not too bright so that you are blinding on coming traffic you should be ok. I would be careful of using very bright lights on the road when there is a lot of traffic around. I tend to use just the std high beams. Or if car is coming up ahead I switch off driving lights first while they are a long way away and then dip headlights when they are closer. That's why they mandate that lights can be switched off from inside and not just linked to the high beams.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Greensborough / sunshine / Aspendale. Kind of homeless at the mo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting scenario - there is by all my reckoning after reading everything I could possibly get no specific law or design in Nsw for driving lights additional to the factory high lows. And I think the standards which are in place initially for manufacturers are specifically referring to the factory headlights and I know that for example a mates amg slk 55 black has xenon with factory self levellers.

So there is no specification to say this is the law for having them and therefore conversely there is no law stating you cannot and you cannot be penalised for breaking a law that does not exists.

Further - if there is a "law" that is vague and ambiguous I'd take it to court as common law states that this should not be the case and I sincerely doubt our system would legislate an ambiguous law.

NRMA?
    I've read everything AAA and the dept of infrastructure and registration have to no avail..

Your insurance company would have to know?
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I knew something wasn't right. Im driving past tomorrow so I'll drop in for an "out of interest" visit.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around residential "built up areas" you are only permitted to use your std headlights hi/low beam.
    other wise your lighting house interiors as ya pass, not very courteous hay.
    besides in these situations usually speed is normally restricted below 80k and std headlight will be enough.

once you get into rural areas "not built up" your permitted to use your additional spot lights (in pairs) as the laws currently stand.

the argument of "how" light is made would be irrelevant one would think.
    solong as your not blinding the oncoming traffic and the light is white.
    fog lights yellow is another story.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In SA the requirements are that there be no lights above the bonnet hight of the bull bar and as long as they are set out symmetrically, that is one in the middle or two either side or three with one either side and one in the middle and so on they are fine. There is no law about using them in urban areas as such. You can use them where ever you like as long as you are not dazzling any other vehicles around you. Either ahead of you behind you or to your sides. But as with everything it's up to the cops discretion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast