Thread: Buying a patrol ute

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Best bet is to test drive both and see which one fits and feels better. Seating, steering etc.
    I think they will both do the job that's required.
    I agree, thanks for your input mate.

Does anyone use one for work? would be keen to hear from you.
    Last edited by Optical; 9th August 2015 at 09:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are the TD4.2TI? power? fuel consumption? am I better of paying for one of them?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical View Post
    How are the TD4.2TI? power? fuel consumption? am I better of paying for one of them?
    Not so ‘nippy’ around town but I suspect better for towing a 2 tonne load. This based on driving a 4.2 & being left at the lights by 3.0 models. Have never driven a 3.0 myself. Hard to comment on a fuel consumption comparison because of my set up which is heavy (upgraded GVM) & less aerodynamic than many. My fuel range is around 950kms with the 2 standard tanks which works out to around 19 litres per 100kms. I would expect a ute without the canopy (higher & wider than the cab) + rooftop solar & under the factory GVM to be a fair bit better than that.
    I recently towed a hired scissor lift which with it’s trailer would have been around 2 tonne. Motor hardly noticed it. If regularly towing that sort of weight as well as carrying a tray load of tools etc I reckon a leaf sprung model with a 10 leaf pack might be better than a coil set up as the weight is more evenly distributed on the chassis. Factory GVM is 3400kg. Coil is (I think) - 3150kg. On a ‘leafy’ if towing/carrying weight upgraded brakes are well worthwhile & a relatively cheap mod (replace front discs & pads). I have a tourer rather than a hardcore off roader, so the relative lack of flex (compared to coil) does not concern me. I must admit I would prefer coils, but not for plushness (I find the leafy quite acceptable in this regard) but do find the squeaks & groans from the leaves irritating at times (but that might not apply to all leaf set ups?). I drove a coil wagon recently & was quite surprised at it’s better turning circle. I’m not sure if this is a wagon/ute difference or a leaf/coil difference. Given both have front coils I’d suspect the former. Others may know with more certainty.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Not so ‘nippy’ around town but I suspect better for towing a 2 tonne load. This based on driving a 4.2 & being left at the lights by 3.0 models. Have never driven a 3.0 myself. Hard to comment on a fuel consumption comparison because of my set up which is heavy (upgraded GVM) & less aerodynamic than many. My fuel range is around 950kms with the 2 standard tanks which works out to around 19 litres per 100kms. I would expect a ute without the canopy (higher & wider than the cab) + rooftop solar & under the factory GVM to be a fair bit better than that.
    I recently towed a hired scissor lift which with it’s trailer would have been around 2 tonne. Motor hardly noticed it. If regularly towing that sort of weight as well as carrying a tray load of tools etc I reckon a leaf sprung model with a 10 leaf pack might be better than a coil set up as the weight is more evenly distributed on the chassis. Factory GVM is 3400kg. Coil is (I think) - 3150kg. On a ‘leafy’ if towing/carrying weight upgraded brakes are well worthwhile & a relatively cheap mod (replace front discs & pads). I have a tourer rather than a hardcore off roader, so the relative lack of flex (compared to coil) does not concern me. I must admit I would prefer coils, but not for plushness (I find the leafy quite acceptable in this regard) but do find the squeaks & groans from the leaves irritating at times (but that might not apply to all leaf set ups?). I drove a coil wagon recently & was quite surprised at it’s better turning circle. I’m not sure if this is a wagon/ute difference or a leaf/coil difference. Given both have front coils I’d suspect the former. Others may know with more certainty.
    thanks for your feedback mate, the 4.2 would be a dream but they cost a lot more for something a lot older....which is hard to take but I guess there's a lot of demand for them.

I think I'll take all type for a test drive and see what I think.

Atleast I now know the CRD 3.0 are a pretty solid donk, probably on par with the D4D toyota I guess. so now I just need to test drive them all -.-

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fuel wise a 3ltr will be around 12-15ltr/100 towing, depending , the
    4.2td are slower no idea on fuel figures as some put what they would like it to be
    and not work it out properly, but would think around the 15/100 as an average,
    Of course both would be higher if pushed or hilly terrain
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Fuel wise a 3ltr will be around 12-15ltr/100 towing, depending , the
    4.2td are slower no idea on fuel figures as some put what they would like it to be
    and not work it out properly, but would think around the 15/100 as an average,
    Of course both would be higher if pushed or hilly terrain
    how is the 3L CRD without towing? around the 10-11/100?

I won't be towing that often, and it's not for long so it doesn't both me too much.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The CRD are a bit thirstier than the Di,
    but a lot depends on your right foot,
    I took all the sinkers off my shoelaces
    a while ago now lol
    They will return great figures with 265s size tyres.
    sadly most ppl put 285s or bigger

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CRD are a bit thirstier than the Di,
    but a lot depends on your right foot,
    I took all the sinkers off my shoelaces
    a while ago now lol
    They will return great figures with 265s size tyres.
    sadly most ppl put 285s or bigger
    Hmm I'd be guilty of that as well lol. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    small price to pay I think running 285s for HWY work
    and 305 or 315 for off road

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    small price to pay I think running 285s for HWY work
    and 305 or 315 for off road
    Looking forward to the weekend, I'll take a few for a spin.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12