Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which lift?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    My lift required springs, shocks and steering damper. I didn't need castor correction bushes, although my castor reading went slightly negative, it drives well. That said most people I've heard from did use castor correction bushes. I am considering extended sway bar links, (with a rear disconnect) but it works fine the way it is on my truck at least. I was told by one suspension place I had to have an adjustable drag link, and new panhard rod if I wanted my steering wheel to be straight. Turned out that all that was required was to take the wheel off and adjust by one tooth, and it sits perfectly straight! Glad I didn't use that workshop...
    When you lift your truck the axle is moved to one side, to correct this you need a longer p/ard and drag link. Pulling off the wheel leaves the steering box in a turned position, how badly this is noticed depends on how high you lift the truck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (6th August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianPatrol View Post
    Need some advice on lift kits. Have 3 options available here where I am - OME, ToughDog, or IronMan.

The OME is of course the most expensive at ~$1500
    IronMan & ToughDog ~$850-900

I'm needing something that will hold up well to extreme temperature differences (read really, really cold). It's not extreme off-roading but it is rougher roads in varying temps and conditions.

Which is the best option where I won't want to change them out within a year of having them? Is the OME worth the 600 extra or are one of the other brands just as good?
    I have had both Ironman and tough dog within the past 5 years. Not much in it but i would choose tough dog. Tough dog to my knowledge just copied rancho so maybe research how goodbthey are.
    I would recommend adjustable shocks from tough dog as they make a huge difference when road/track surface changes along with vehicle load.
    Cheers
    Dave

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkie For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (6th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I figured I needed to outline my intended use of the Patrol to better narrow down exactly what I need/want in a lift kit, so here goes.

I will be hauling ~200kg of stuff a couple of times a year in extreme cold on the winter roads with varying surfaces, rutting, etc. (approximately 2700km round-trip)

Minus these 2-4 times hauling supplies on the rough winter road, I will mainly be driving on dirt roads (varying levels of smoothness) in a small community, hauling small loads here and there with passengers. Could be considered light off-roading.

So, with all of that in play, I need something durable enough to haul a load in extreme conditions, but comfortable to ride in when empty.

Some places I've read have recommended going with good solid springs, a foam-cell shock on the front, and gas on the rear. Other places have said go adjustable shocks all the way around or just in the rear. I need some advice from other more experienced in this. What would be the optimal setup for this scenario?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,037 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always better to give as much information as possible.

I'm not expert......

So I would send that information to as many suspension/4x4 places as you can.
    Asking about warranty and maybe even to suggest two set ups.
    Then follow it up with a phone call to the ones that you like.
    Last edited by jay see; 7th August 2015 at 12:12 AM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toughdog/Ironman & OME with light (0-200/300kg pending brand) shocks in my opinion would be suitable. Adjustable shocks just gives your suspension increased ability to function pending on payload and road surface. Which it sounds like you need. The price difference on adjustables is negligible so i would get them all round.

Hope it all works out
    Cheers
    Dave

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkie For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (8th August 2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12