OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3" Lift in GU9 = Traction Control and ABS Issues not experienced in GU8 wit Same Lift

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, Neither GU8 or GU9 have/had a brake proportioning valve located above the rear diff so nothing to relocate.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of the YAW sensor please, super keen to find the little bugger. Thanks Brad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad_GU9 View Post
    Hi Guys, Neither GU8 or GU9 have/had a brake proportioning valve located above the rear diff so nothing to relocate.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of the YAW sensor please, super keen to find the little bugger. Thanks Brad
    could that YAW sensor = steering angle sensor ?

there is more info here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/VSC-TrainingManual-9.pdf

EDIT: have a look at this post by Nisshead.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post593109

Ok, they reckon this issue is due to my steering wheel not sitting straight. Apparently the 2012 onwards vehicles with VDS have a steering wheel angle sensor which if not aligned 100% will cause issues with VDS....hmmmm
    They told me to get a wheel alignment which I did a day before taking it into Nissan.
    Looks like a adjustable drag link is in order, which funnily enough the Nissan bloke had no idea what I was talking about
    Last edited by Ronin; 11th August 2015 at 10:17 PM.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronin For This Useful Post:

Clarkie (12th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (17th August 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ronin, have had the steering column apart and definately only the steering wheel position sensor in there... The yaw sensor should be a little black box with an almost pendulum type gadgetron in it, it measures sideways movement of the vehicle.

In reference to the post about steering wheel position I can confirm that this is absolutely critical to the system functioning as the physical position of the steering wheel is the basis for how the VDC system operates. It compares actual motion to driver input live and "assists" where necessary.

I have the adjustable steering link on there and my wheel is absolutely 100% true to centre so I can also rule this out as causing the abnormal operation of VDC. Given the G sensor test I did last week, it's not my problem either so it has to be either the Yaw Sensor or the elusive Gravity Sensor if I can find that one too.

Thanks Brad

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad_GU9 For This Useful Post:

Clarkie (12th August 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, had a chance to pop into Nissan on Friday and asked the parts guy to look up the location of the gravity sensor, turns out it is the one under the passenger front seat I had been mucking around with the other day.

When I asked him to tell me where the yaw sensor is, nothing is listed. It does not have one. Nor does it have a Decel Sensor so it's looking more like the gravity sensor is a bit of an all rounder providing the VDC system with most of the info it needs in conjunction with the steering wheel position sensor and the individual wheel speeds.

Given that I have already tried re-positioning the physical height of this sensor without success I am know wondering if the angle of the sensor is more the issue.

Next step is to head to dealership to measure a factory vehicle height from chassis to ground and compare to how mine is sitting. Then make some little wedges to alter the angle of my sensor by the difference to see if that helps. More soon. Cheers Brad

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So where exactly is this gravity sensor ? I will have a look as well.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy a GQ
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gravity Sensor is located under the passenger front seat. If you separate the overlap in the carpet you will see it mounted on a little subframe to the floor pan. If you slide the seat all the way forward and tilt it forward as well you can get a reasonable look at it from the back seat area but for me I just whipped the front seat out. Just remember though if you have side airbags not to turn ignition on without the airbag connected or it will log a fault with the airbag system.

Mudrunner - somedays I think I should have. this technology is an ongoing issue in all modern 4WD's and unfortunately it's something we all have to deal with unless we want to continue driving the older more simpler rigs. My young bloke just bought a RN106 Diesel Hilux ( notice I didn't mention that "T" word on here LOL ) and we've been doing a bit of work on it and man I love the simplicity of it all, off road everything, like your GQ is simple and it all works exceptionally well. There is no ABS, no high tech sensors, no traction control or VDC and it all works. Personally I wish all real 4wd manufacturers would stop building 4WD's to handle like cars cos for what we do with them we don't want or need all that electronic crap. I survived almost 400,000ks in my first GU without VDC. It's almost like they are building vehicles these days for people who can't drive. For me, I am keen to get to the bottom of this one and my suspension supplier may end up assisting with this too cos unless there are work arounds for the issues that arise post mods, the reality is that the aftermarket 4x4 industry in this country will be affected greatly as more and more new 4WD's are sold that can not be modified. I mean if you read the manual that came with my GU9 it even tells me I can't change the bloody tyres because of the VDC system. Cheers Brad

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad_GU9 For This Useful Post:

Clarkie (18th August 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know how you get on.
    Just picked up a GU9, and I want to do a 2" lift on it down the line.
    Be interested to know if its a rare issue, or fairly universal.

Was thinking of going the boring ARB OME 2" lift, or maybe the new BP-51s when they develop the kit. Don't want to paint myself into a corner though...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 model ST.
    2" OME lift. HD in the front for bar and winch, 200kg constants for drawers, rear bar, cargo barrier and water tank.

I have zero issues. The only time I have VDC kicking in is usually when it's been raining and I take a corner too quick.

Also when off road I leave the VDC alone. Don't have any issues there either. Low range the VDC turns off, but ABLS still works.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad_GU9 View Post
    Hi Guys, Neither GU8 or GU9 have/had a brake proportioning valve located above the rear diff so nothing to relocate. ....
    That's because ABS system makes such valve redundant.....

The issue in here is that GU9 has what a law has been calling for: ESP/ESC in another words stability control enhanced package part of TSC and ABS. This shyte my friends started when State of Victoria has unilateraly declared ESP compulsory on all new cars onwards from certain date (2011) with light commercials been given extension until 2013. Welcome to the nanny state!

I'm not sure how it is implemented in Patrols but similar systems in heavy vehicles have ability/option to re-calibrate yaw rate sensor/s and various parts of the ESP subsystem e.g. steering wheel position sensor.

So take it back/ask to Nissan to recalibrate the sensor for new suspesion height maybe it can be done.

There is always an option to wire a switch into to system to power the whole ABS/ESP/VDC (whatever they call that shyte these days) down by interrupting the power supplies to those control units. I'd personally make a "fake" diff lock/4WD Lo switch OFF scenario so these systems can be turned off at will irrespective if diff lock or low range is used.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 6th September 2015 at 07:13 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123