OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3" Lift in GU9 = Traction Control and ABS Issues not experienced in GU8 wit Same Lift

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3" Lift in GU9 = Traction Control and ABS Issues not experienced in GU8 wit Same Lift

Hi All My first question to the group please........

Apologies for the long title but after searching previous threads and not really finding any suggestions other than a faulty Brake Fuse? to possibly be the culprit I thought I would ask if anyone can shed some light please on a couple of issues I have with my new GU9.

I have just upgraded to the series 9 from my series 8 and transferred the exact same suspension including coils, shocks, extended sway bar links, adjustable panhard rods, poly air bags, adjustable steering link etc. to the series 9. It is a 3" Lift which gave me no trouble at all in the series 8 for the past 3 years or 80,000klms.

2 Issues I am having now are:

Issue 1 - when cornering even slightly faster than your grandmother would the traction control/VDC system thinks the vehicle is out of control
    which it definitely is not and is disconnecting the throttle.

Issue 2 - When braking down hill around corners again the electronics for some reason think I need additional braking and in once instance on the weekend the application of the unexpected additional braking to what felt like only the front right wheel sent the vehicle to the right unexpectedly toward oncoming traffic.

I have discussed the issue with the dealer who says none of the sensors that monitor the VDC or Traction Control are programmable therefore they cannot offer any fix as they claim everything is preset from the factory and cannot be altered or have its sensitivity adjusted etc. I talked to Nissan Customer Care who can't do anything either because the problem only occurred after I modified the suspension.

My mechanic seems to think the issue might be over excited yaw sensor or what he is calling a gravity or G sensor which apparently is located under the rear seats somewhere. I have discussed the problem with a few 4WD heads and seems that locating the gravity sensor and lowering it 3" might help but if when I find it, it is located on the floor this could be difficult.

Given the same suspension proved itself in the series 8 there is something new or different in the series 9 that is causing these problems.

Has anyone else had these issues and if so I would absolutely love to know how you fixed them because whilst I am aware of the vehicles behavioural issues and can anticipate what it's going to do I am concerned that right now if anyone else decided to drive it's actually quite dangerous.

Thanks Brad
    Last edited by Brad_GU9; 3rd August 2015 at 05:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brad_GU9

Just want to clear up this is during normal driving, not while in 4WD?
    I've had it happen a couple of times when not in 4WD when pushing it on a dirt road and it wasn't really unexpected as I was pushing the limits. When in 4WD I turn it off.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, normal all day everyday driving on the road in 2WD is when it is occurring.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there goes my thinking, hope someone else can help out.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experience the same issue and i have 2" lift on 2014 model. Any resemblance of corner speed and the dash lights up and power is cut.
    I just accept it.
    Cheers
    Dave

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same with my 2014 with 2' lift. Can be bloody dangerous if someone is on your tail on a corner. I've had someone nearly nail me in this situation. I was going to mention it on the next service but It now sounds like a waste of time. With all the different makes of vehicles I've owned, I've never experienced any of them want to take no responcibilty for anything, except Nissan. I do like my Y61 and when it comes out of lease I will probably buy it, but it probably will be the one and only Nissan I ever buy.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, good to know that even a 2" lift causes the same probs coz one option was to lower it a little but won't waste time on that now. So one other cause of weird ABS issues is the steering wheel position sensor and in my case the wheel is 100% centred so I can rule that one out of being the cause.....

Anyone have any schematic diagrams which show the physical location of the G Sensor and Yaw Sensors... really keen to find the G or Gravity Sensor in particular and try lowering it by the same height as the lift to see if that is the problem.

Thanks
    Brad

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for a test, can you guys turn off VDC for a short duration ? its the button near the gear stick.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ronin, with the VDC system disabled via the button immediately in front of the handbrake the throttle is not disconnected when cornering, vehicle operates as you would expect in the instance of cornering no throttle disconnects occur. I have not tested the additional braking it likes to provide on downhill turns as yet with the VDC system switched off. Cheers Brad

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad_GU9 For This Useful Post:

Clarkie (5th August 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same with mine. Switch it off ... all good. Mine will kick in even with no throttle arround a sharp corner or even turning hard left or right from a set of lights. Coming back from the High Country recently arround a lot of twisty bends ( tar road ) it was that bad I had to switch it off as it was way to dangerous.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

Clarkie (5th August 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast