Thread: EFS vs OME Shocks?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    I had the Terrain Tamer Expanded body shocks fitted today. At first I thought they where valved a little soft but the car drove nicely and didn't wander over the road at rough/patched sections (60km/h). They are certainly valved softer than the OME Nitrochargers which had me a little worried that they might not work on the open road. I drove north out of Adelaide (Pt Wakefield Rd) and at 110 km/h the Patrol was steady as a rock. Changing lanes was no problem as the car was steady as well. Suspension felt supple over rough patches of the road and the car did not get pushed off its line.

I then turned off onto a dirt road in Virginia and went for a drive at 80km/h. The car was steady as a rock even when going over large pot holes. Kept its line and absorbed all the bumps. I am very happy with the set up as this is a new feeling for me. The original springs where so stiff that the car skipped over a lot of bumps and I felt every one of them. Once the springs where swapped for EFS units the car absorbed much more but was very jittery and needed constant correction from the driver to keep it straight. Finally the car drives as it should!!

As for the old shocks, the ARB Nitrochargers at the rear (152,000 km) where a little soft but still functioning. Happy with these. The Pedders Track Ryder foam cell units at the front where not destroyed as I suspected but still seemed to work OK (resistance both in and out). They are with Pedders at the moment getting tested. I suspect the new 120kg constant load springs at the front where just too much spring for the Pedders to handle.

As for Terrain Tamer longevity? Time will tell. Reviews I have read on the web are very promising.
    Do just to confirm because eyes aren't engaging brain........ you're running TT shocks, with EFS springs? Is that 120kg load rating fronts only or all round?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Do just to confirm because eyes aren't engaging brain........ you're running TT shocks, with EFS springs? Is that 120kg load rating fronts only or all round?
    Yes they are EFS springs. 120kg constant at the front and 300kg constant at the rear. The car is quite heavy with the drawers and bar work all around it. Empty it weighs in at 2.8 tons (full fuel tanks) and then I load my gear in it. The 300kg springs at the rear are firm but not harsh.

The original question was EFS vs OME but on doing some research it was apparent that EFS are manufactured in Brazil by COFAP as are the Terrain Tamers. The specs of the two shocks where pretty much the same so only the valving would differ (maybe) and the same warranty (3yr/100,000km). Terrain Tamer are about 1 km away from me and their shocks where $200 cheaper than EFS with a club discount. I took a punt as it was so convenient.

It was a close call between EFS/TT and OME but I decided to try something different as if they work out well it means that I will have good quality and well priced suspension gear in the future.

The other thing I noticed while doing the research on the web is that the warranties for the shocks are determined by who manufactures them and not by who brands/resells them. COFAP do 3yr/100,000km warranty so EFS, TT, Lovell's etc all have the same warranty. OME/Monroe have 3yr/60,000 km warranty and Pedder's/Gabriel do 2yr/40,000 km warranties. It's a bit of a hint as to where the shocks are manufactured, especially if a Brand has several sources.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 7th August 2015 at 09:55 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Clunk (7th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes they are EFS springs. 120kg constant at the front and 300kg constant at the rear. The car is quite heavy with the drawers and bar work all around it. Empty it weighs in at 2.8 tons (full fuel tanks) and then I load my gear in it. The 300kg springs at the rear are firm but not harsh.
    Thanks mate, looking for a new setup fir mine, so will keep an eye on how yours are doing...... I got given a set of rear 300kg constant load King springs, so just need some for the front and new shocks all round

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Thanks mate, looking for a new setup fir mine, so will keep an eye on how yours are doing...... I got given a set of rear 300kg constant load King springs, so just need some for the front and new shocks all round
    I'll do another update after a couple of off-road trips.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Clunk (7th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll do another update after a couple of off-road trips.
    Hi mate, just wondering how you were finding the TT shocks?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High Clunk. I really like the TT shocks so far. They are valved softer than an OME so there is a little roll at first but then they firm up nicely thanks to the variable valving. The car is very controllable at all speeds. It just floats over rough patches on the road and it doesn't go off line.

since I put the shocks in I have been to jakem farm twice which is hilly and rocky terrain. The car flexed well and was very stable over the rough stuff with the suspension doing all the movement and the body being very stable. No long corrugated roads though so can't comment on that.

my EFS springs are all heavy duty and the shocks match up well giving a more comfortable ride than if they where very firmly valved. Maybe for soft springs these would be too soft? Not sure. Generally I favour firmer suspension but with the original Telstra spec OME springs/shocks it was ridiculously hard. So far I am happy with the shocks and the price I paid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Clunk (10th September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    High Clunk. I really like the TT shocks so far. They are valved softer than an OME so there is a little roll at first but then they firm up nicely thanks to the variable valving. The car is very controllable at all speeds. It just floats over rough patches on the road and it doesn't go off line.

since I put the shocks in I have been to jakem farm twice which is hilly and rocky terrain. The car flexed well and was very stable over the rough stuff with the suspension doing all the movement and the body being very stable. No long corrugated roads though so can't comment on that.

my EFS springs are all heavy duty and the shocks match up well giving a more comfortable ride than if they where very firmly valved. Maybe for soft springs these would be too soft? Not sure. Generally I favour firmer suspension but with the original Telstra spec OME springs/shocks it was ridiculously hard. So far I am happy with the shocks and the price I paid.
    thanks for the feedback bud, I also got a quote today for $128.70, so will try and get them next week.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know what you think after you put them on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let me know what you think after you put them on.
    no worries will do......... will be interesting to see how they marry up with the heavy duty king springs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123