Thread: Hodge's new 4.2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Good to hear mate. Performance wise think that will be next I think. Intake !
    Maybe a little while off though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Did you end up fitting the fan to it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Did you end up fitting the fan to it?
    Fan came pre fitted so i left it on but not running/wired.

Had a cold morning today circa 6C and I pushed the car a bit once warmed up.
    Where i would normally see 300/350C the needle didn't even hit 300. ( my gauge starts at 300c) .
    I now see why you meant when you said these are loud. Air rush going through it sounds like a jet taking off when boost goes 10+.

2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks good Eric.
    The induction noise is something you get used to. Although I did see on P4x4 a member has modified the IC mounting tabs on the bracket and put rubber vibration isolators there and the noise is all but gone according to him. I am yet to do this, just another thing on the list....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (25th May 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Looks good Eric.
    The induction noise is something you get used to. Although I did see on P4x4 a member has modified the IC mounting tabs on the bracket and put rubber vibration isolators there and the noise is all but gone according to him. I am yet to do this, just another thing on the list....
    I read that post on the other forum. I can't see how this noise is vibration related though.
    This is clearly a air swirl type noise from inside the cooler or simply there is a leak.
    Brandon reckons it's just that intake noise.
    I'll open the passenger window and turn the snorkel head backward and have a listen.
    Today I had a better look and there is a few discrepancies.

2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, done the oil and filter change today. I noticed 2 things...
    Going by the volume indicators on my oil pan, she only dumped about 9.5L, 10L max. This includes the remainder of oil, that I drained out of filters after taking them off.
    But she swallowed just under 11L, perfectly level with top notch of dip stick.
    Providing, my cheapo SCA oil pan is accurate, a liter of oil missing is fairly high isn't it ? I know 4.2's burn a bit of oil, and I did let this service go to 7500km. Last oil check was a few weeks ago and I was sure it was just under the top notch.
    Thought I read somewhere that between the notches of the dip stick = about 1L of oil ??

Secondly, the old filters... Even after draining remaining bit of oil out of them, one of the filters (front one from memory), was a fair bit heavier than the other one. I know the second filter is only an alternative route in case the first filters gets a restriction or resistance in some way... This means the heavier filter has caught a bit of shit in it. Is this normal ? Cannot remember if this was the case last time I changed oil and filters. YES I know it's a filter and its meant to catch stuff, but there was a fair bit of weight difference between the 2 today.
    Thoughts ?
    @nissannewby
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know a lot of people dont but you should be checking fluids once a week and then include all drive train fluids at least once a month. Pushing the service out can result in oil being burnt depending on the type of driving being done.

I wouldnt worry to much about any of that. I have pulled rear filters off that are clean and havent had oil through them but I have only really seen this when a lot of highway driving has been done. If all is sounding normal and the oil usage doesnt continue then it should be fine. For what its worth my engine doesnt use any oil in 5000km.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it to much, I pulled the dip stick on my one just before it left and it was towards the bottom of the marked area so I threw in half a litre and it Brough it up towards the top of the marked area. Based on that 1L from bottom to top would sounds about right. That was at 6,000km.I was lazy and didn't change the oil. I did however give him a set of filters and the best part of 19L of Dello 400 I had left over....

They all use a bit of oil, as long as you're not making oil.
    Cheers Rod

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket55 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th June 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks fellas. It didn't concern me, was just curious as to what would have caused the difference, but it may be my error of judgement in some way, shape or form. Will keep an eye on it closely, and take note next service.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post

I wouldnt worry to much about any of that. I have pulled rear filters off that are clean and havent had oil through them but I have only really seen this when a lot of highway driving has been done. If all is sounding normal and the oil usage doesnt continue then it should be fine. For what its worth my engine doesnt use any oil in 5000km.
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Having 2 filters, whats your take on changing the filters every 10k and oil every 5k ? I recall reading a few people do this. I think even Jonathan mentioned this to me when he helped me change the juice in this thing, the first time.

I'm not so much talking from a cost perspective, just simplifying a oil change, every 5k. Because, like you said, my rear filter was super clean and very light, even after 7500.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Having 2 filters, whats your take on changing the filters every 10k and oil every 5k ? I recall reading a few people do this. I think even Jonathan mentioned this to me when he helped me change the juice in this thing, the first time.

I'm not so much talking from a cost perspective, just simplifying a oil change, every 5k. Because, like you said, my rear filter was super clean and very light, even after 7500.
    I used to do my 4.2 every 5k both filter and oil etc. Then I read my owners manual more fully and it actually stated 10k for filters and 5k for oil. So now that's generally how I do it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th June 2016)

Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast